"going to the mattresses" | The Boneyard

"going to the mattresses"

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
“I guess I just needed to vent that I was tired of using the excuse of being tired, that we’re mentally fatigued and we’re physically fatigued and we play too many minutes and this and that,” Auriemma said. “Practices were a little bit different leading up to this tournament. We may have been guilty throughout the season in that we're treating [players] like they're fragile because they are. Every time somebody falls down in practice you go oh, boy, there goes another one. After the Xavier game we took a couple of days off, and when we came back it was back to the old days, going to the mattresses.”

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Do you know what (Going to the Mattresses) means?
Is this question directed to anyone in particular?

I know what it means. Watched the Godfather many times.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Its from The Godfather movie. It what you do when you go to war with a rival Mafia gang. hole up in a room full of mattresses while the war rages on.
Sort of. Putting my members in a single location, makes it easier to protect them and keeps them out of their homes so there’s less risk of collateral damage to non-combatants. Or at least that’s the way I remember it being explained in the Puzo novel.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Its from The Godfather movie. It what you do when you go to war with a rival Mafia gang. hole up in a room full of mattresses while the war rages on.

Is this question directed to anyone in particular?

I know what it means. Watched the Godfather many times.

Sort of. Putting my members in a single location, makes it easier to protect them and keeps them out of their homes so there’s less risk of collateral damage to non-combatants. Or at least that’s the way I remember it being explained in the Puzo novel.
There a pretty good show ( I thought, at least interesting) on Paramount+ called "The Offer" about the making of The Godfather. From I believe a book by Al Ruddy, the producer.

Reaction Score
Maybe the rest sharpened him up,also. He has looked out of it at times; showing his age.

Reaction Score
How interesting. I have never seen any of the Godfather movies, and thought it had to do with (amateur) wrestling.

CL82

Reaction Score
There a pretty good show ( I thought, at least interesting) on Paramount+ called "The Offer" about the making of The Godfather. From I believe a book by Al Ruddy, the producer.

I don’t get Paramont + so I haven’t seen it. But what I’ve read about it does sound interesting.

CL82

Reaction Score
How interesting. I have never seen any of the Godfather movies, and thought it had to do with (amateur) wrestling.
You definitely should take the time to see the first Godfather movie at least. It is widely acknowledged, as being one of the best movies ever made. It is second only to Casablanca in my opinion.

It has a great plot and wonderful cinematography. The cast is outstanding, including Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, Robert Duvall, and James Caan. The soundtrack is beautiful and haunting.

Reaction Score
You definitely should take the time to see the first Godfather movie at least. It is widely acknowledged, as being one of the best movies ever made. It is second only to Casablanca in my opinion.

It has a great plot and wonderful cinematography. The cast is outstanding, including Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, Robert Duvall, and James Caan. The soundtrack is beautiful and haunting.
Godfather II with a young. incredibly handsome Robert De Niro speaking Italian always makes me swoon. I love it too because the gang was all young and in their hey day.

Reaction Score
It’s fairly close to the end of this scene:

Thanks, I played that scene a couple of times, but couldn't hear it, but thanks to you, Sonny is talking fast, and there it is. Time to take advantage of one of those free hearing screenings I constantly get in the mail. Carmen-ootch - anyone growing up Italian knows a Carmen-ootch! LOL

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
shocked-meme-idlememe-1.jpg

CL82

Reaction Score
Godfather II with a young. incredibly handsome Robert De Niro speaking Italian always makes me swoon. I love it too because the gang was all young and in their hey day.
I love the flashback scenes in Godfather II. Adding them to The Godfather would make what is widely considered a near perfect movie even better.

One of my favorite parts of the novel is where Vito Corleone justifies killing Fanucci to himself. Dinero does a great job of conveying the mindset of the character and his descent into crime.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
Thanks, I played that scene a couple of times, but couldn't hear it, but thanks to you, Sonny is talking fast, and there it is. Time to take advantage of one of those free hearing screenings I constantly get in the mail. Carmen-ootch - anyone growing up Italian knows a Carmen-ootch! LOL
I think he is actually saying “Tom-a-nooch” as a term of endearment for his “brother” Tom.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom