Going into Day 4 action with 24 teams remaining, which conference has been the most disappointing? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Going into Day 4 action with 24 teams remaining, which conference has been the most disappointing?

Which conference has disappointed the most?

• ACC

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • Big 12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Big Ten

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • PAC 12

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • SEC

Votes: 43 76.8%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
So you would determine 1 seed solely based on eye test? Baylor had no resume. The best team they played, an SeC team, beat them.
No top 10 teams.
Baylor is playing like a 1seed right now and is as dangerous as anyone else out there

that said their resume hurt them a bit

Reaction Score
Who thought this? Have they recently had head trauma?
??? Maybe, but you skipped over my follow up sentence. "Could it be because of reputation of the conference and an inherent bias in their favour?"

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
A bit too much ACC slander in here for my tastes

james evANS.gif

Reaction Score
So you would determine 1 seed solely based on eye test? Baylor had no resume. The best team they played, an SeC team, beat them.
No top
Baylor and Md look stronger to me than any SEC or ACC team has. But that’s just me. Without much OOC play, it was tough to tell how strong or week conferences were. The B1G and Big12, to their teams’ credit have surprised me. And so has the weak play of SEC teams. As a UConn fan, I’d rather have them play any other 2 or 3 in the elite 8??

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I called out the Pac 12 before today's games. Oregon getting the win over higher seeded Georgia helps. Arizona escaped but didn't win any style points. UCLA going down in flames, will actually be the first to under perform to their seed. Oregon could possibly beat Louisville w/ the Cards' lackluster play, but I doubt it. Offensively challenged Arizona won't be able to overcome A&M and their refs. Pretty much up to Stanford to carry the flag for the conference this year.

The SEC still horribly under performed, and A&M has been aided twice now.

Reaction Score
The only SEC team that has looked decent in tournament play is SC. A&M was aided by the refs pretty significantly in their first two games.

The rest were awful. Alabama was the only team I can understand losing. Georgia and Tennessee were a mess that didn't look well coached.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The only SEC team that has looked decent in tournament play is SC. A&M was aided by the refs pretty significantly in their first two games.

The rest were awful. Alabama was the only team I can understand losing.
Yeah but I mean Maryland kicked Alabama around the court like an ugly soccer ball. Nobody in the SEC, top teams included, made Alabama look anywhere near that bad.

Reaction Score
Yeah but I mean Maryland kicked Alabama around the court like an ugly soccer ball. Nobody in the SEC, top teams included, made Alabama look anywhere near that bad.
I have said for a while the SEC wasn't good and definitely not the same caliber to past teams. SC is pretty good but this squad isn't national championship caliber to me (they were better last year).

The rest of the conference is either average or bad. I thought Georgias play in the SECT might have been a sign for things to come but clearly their play in that tournament was an anomaly. They can't shoot worth a crap or take care of the ball. Tennessee was who I thought they were. Sure they had some good moments at home (SC and UCONN), but they are pretty anemic offensively and make poor decisions.

Arkansas is literally an NIT level team when not playing at home.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Update:
3 ACC teams- 18.75% of the Sweet 16 field. They had 8 teams or 12.5% of the overall 64 teams
2 Big 12 teams- 12.5% S16. They had 5 teams or 7.8125% of all 64 teams
4 Big Ten teams- 25% S16. The had 7 teams or 10.9375 of all 64 teams
3 PAC 12 teams- 18.75% of S16. They had 6 teams or 9.375% of all 64 teams
2 SEC teams- 12.5% S16. They had 7 or 10.9375% of all 64 teams.

The P5 are 14 of the 16 teams or 87.5% of the Sweet 16 with only UConn and Missouri State as the outsiders. Overall, P5 teams comprised 33 of 64 or 51.5% of the field. They also included 15 of the 16 top seeds with only UConn involved.

I know @Plebe made the comment "Grading the so-called P5" as a point that the SEC really underperformed (they did with only 2 of the 6 teams seeded in the top 16 qualifying for the Sweet 16-pathetic), but overall the P5 held serve with 14 teams making the Sweet 16.

This tournament still is ruled/owned/dominated by the big money schools who put more resources into their marquee women's sports than the non-P5 schools. True parity will come when more upsets occur and more non-P5 schools make in-roads into the Sweet 16 and limit the P5 from 50%+ of the field entrants.

My ranking of the field would be:
#1. UConn (as dominant as Baylor but with a better schedule of wins),
#2. Baylor
#3. Maryland (scoring, scoring and more scoring).
#4. Stanford (their struggles against a good Ok State team lessened their initial dominant seeding)
#5. SC
#6. Iowa (their dominance from start to finish in their games was impressive).
#7. NC State (they have struggled in both their games against lesser opponents)
#8. Texas (looked unbelievable last night against UCLA),
#9. Texas A&M (struggled against Troy, should have lost to a good ISU team but did win and have depth)
#10. Arizona (winning ugly and a lack of offense could doom the Wildcats against the Longhorns)
#11. Michigan
#12. Oregon
#13. Indiana
#14. Missouri State
#15. Louisville (yes, this low as they have struggled against lesser teams in both their games and lack offensive consistency)
#16 Georgia Tech

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom