Going into Day 4 action with 24 teams remaining, which conference has been the most disappointing? | The Boneyard

Going into Day 4 action with 24 teams remaining, which conference has been the most disappointing?

Which conference has disappointed the most?

• ACC

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • Big 12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Big Ten

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • PAC 12

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • SEC

Votes: 43 76.8%

• Total voters

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Today will eliminate 8 more teams to get to the Sweet 16, so given that the list of teams and members from each conference:
ACC had 8 teams- 5 eliminated with 3 left, 1 plays today-Lou
Big 12 had 5 teams-2 eliminated with 3 left, 2 play today-Texas and ISU
Big Ten had 7 teams-2 eliminated with 5 left. 3 play today-NW, Maryland, Indiana
PAC 12 had 6- 2 eliminated with 4 left, 3 play today-Ore, UCLA, Ariz
SEC had 7-3 eliminated with 4 left, 3 play today-A&M, Alabama, Georgia

Reaction Score
I went with ACC primarily based on the number of teams eliminated. Between them and the SEC it was a toss up for me.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
It's a close call between the SEC and ACC. But gotta give hand it to the conference with three top-4 seeds that tumbled out in the 1st and 2nd rounds, including the rare 1st round loss by a 4 seed.

The ACC didn't even have that many top-4 seeds to begin with, and they have overall looked flaccid, much as they did the entire season, but Georgia Tech saved them some face when a questionably seeded West Virginia did its best corpse imitation, and this was after needing heaps of luck just to get by the mighty Ladyjacks of Stephen F. Austin in Nacogdoches, Texas.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Too bad we can't tie the elimination of the announcers to the conference they cover. I have had enough of Peck and Antonelli. While on the other hand Eric Frede and Tamika Catchings are a nice duo to listen to.

I wonder if I could put together a sweet 16 of game announcers?

Reaction Score
Too bad we can't tie the elimination of the announcers to the conference they cover. I have had enough of Peck and Antonelli. While on the other hand Eric Frede and Tamika Catchings are a nice duo to listen to.

I wonder if I could put together a sweet 16 of game announcers?
And yet Antonelli has not called any games in the tourney since she was doing the Men's.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
A very key element in this poll question is what should the "disappointment" rating be based on? Just on sheer percentage or number of teams that have advanced? Or on how teams have performed relative to their seeding?

For me it's more about the latter. If the question were about a disappointing "season" (as opposed to "tournament"), hands down it would be the ACC, and I think any honest ACColyte would have to begrudgingly agree. Yes they got 8 teams into the tournament, but 5 of those teams were seeded 7 or below, YAWN. Also remember there are 15 teams in this over-bloated conference, and they have to lug around teams like Virginia, Pitt, Boston College and worst of all, that team of wayward wannabes in the wastelands of northern Indiana.

The Big 12 was somewhat similarly anemic after Baylor, and I was rather surprised that Texas even got a 6 seed, but again "disappointment" is more about performance relative to expectations in my book, and it's not as if wonderful things were expected of the B12 this year based on recent track record. (Although I do feel Texas and Kansas State fell short of what at least I expected of them this season; with the caveat of course that Texas can still redeem itself.)

Reaction Score
A very key element in this poll question is what should the "disappointment" rating be based on? Just on sheer percentage or number of teams that have advanced? Or on how teams have performed relative to their seeding?

For me it's more about the latter. If the question were about a disappointing "season" (as opposed to "tournament"), hands down it would be the ACC, and I think any honest ACColyte would have to begrudgingly agree. Yes they got 8 teams into the tournament, but 5 of those teams were seeded 7 or below, YAWN. Also remember there are 15 teams in this over-bloated conference, and they have to lug around teams like Virginia, Pitt, Boston College and worst of all, that team of wayward wannabes in the wastelands of northern Indiana.

The Big 12 was somewhat similarly anemic after Baylor, and I was rather surprised that Texas even got a 6 seed, but again "disappointment" is more about performance relative to expectations in my book, and it's not as if wonderful things were expected of the B12 this year based on recent track record. (Although I do feel Texas and Kansas State fell short of what at least I expected of them this season; with the caveat of course that Texas can still redeem itself.)
Makes a lot of sense. I hadn't looked at it from that perspective when I made my vote. Some have thought the ACC was one of the tougher conferences this season. Could it be because of reputation of the conference and an inherent bias in their favour?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I wouldn't say most disappointing, but Pac 12 hasn't won any games they weren't the higher seeded team in so far. I didn't like the matchup for OSU against South Carolina, bu they just looked terrible yesterday. Stanford wasn't particularly impressive. This current Oregon vs. Georgia game is big.

How about let's look at the opposite--so far Big 10 is impressing me the most. Proving a lot of naysayers wrong. Making a mission to eliminate as many SEC teams as possible.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I will say, the mediocre ACC teams proving they are mediocre to me is less disappointing than the SEC teams showing they were grossly overseeded. Kentucky and Tennessee went down like chumps. Georgia doesn't slightly resemble a #3 seed. I honestly thought Oregon was overseeded as a #6, but they have the upper hand here. Like most years, the majority of the SEC teams were quite overrated.

Reaction Score
If GA loses, think it’s gotta be the SEC.
great season but not a good tournament

Reaction Score
And yet Antonelli has not called any games in the tourney since she was doing the Men's.
I heard her calling a men’s game...she actually talked about the action going on in the game rather than a bunch of useless chit chat we hear during most of women’s games she calls.

Reaction Score
I heard her calling a men’s game...she actually talked about the action going on in the game rather than a bunch of useless chit chat we hear during most of women’s games she calls.
Which proves my point that these are not incompetent hacks who don’t know how to broadcast. The network/ producer has made a decision about how to call the game.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
And w/ that, it's SEC by a mile. Georgia goes down. The Wright St. team that Arkansas couldn't manage to beat is getting destroyed by Missouri St.

Reaction Score
It wouldn’t shock me to see A&M lose later.

If LSU and Georgia can beat them, so can a lot of teams

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score

I think she is doing the Texas/UCLA game tonight.

Reaction Score
I’m still trying to understand how any SEC team was a 1 seed, after watching Baylor and Md, conference tournament winners (like deserving Stanford and UCONN) play.

Reaction Score
I’m still trying to understand how any SEC team was a 1 seed, after watching Baylor and Md, conference tournament winners (like deserving Stanford and UCONN) play.
So you would determine 1 seed solely based on eye test? Baylor had no resume. The best team they played, an SeC team, beat them.
No top 10 teams.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom