Go Kiah! | The Boneyard

Go Kiah!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That was great to hear Geno praising Kiah. This year is her time.I know everyone on the BY knows how great this young lady could be. She would be a star anywhere else in the country, Baylor, Kentucky, Duke, anywhere ! Some people are just special ! She could have transferred. Her dad, Greg Stokes had everything in the world to do with this young lady sticking it out. He told her to keep working, that it was a commitment, and she needed to see it through.

She really started coming on defensively last year. You could see her confidence growing. I followed her a little bit early this summer in the Iowa Summer League, and she just dominated. All Kiah needs to do now is to get better offensively. I cannot wait to see her growth.

Reaction Score
I don't think there is a UCONN Fan that is not in Kiah's corner. UCONN just may have the two best centers in the country.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Kiah just needs to play hard and with confidence. I know it sounds simple, but that is all it is.

She has all the skills needed to be an all American center. Size, strength, reasonable quickness, finishing moves with either hand, solid passing skills and a nice jumper up to 15 feet. Defensively, she is ahead of the curve and I believe she can dominate WCBB in that way whenever she is on the court.
There might be times that Uconn goes real big with a Dolson, Stewart and Stokes front line. That will be fun to see.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Geno just identified her as the person most likely to be a surprise this season. He said outside of Stefanie, she has been the most impressive in practice so far!!!!

Hearing Geno say that was the best part of the show last night. I am 'Stokesed' to see her play!! :)

Reaction Score
That was great to hear Geno praising Kiah. This year is her time.I know everyone on the BY knows how great this young lady could be. She would be a star anywhere else in the country, Baylor, Kentucky, Duke, anywhere ! Some people are just special ! She could have transferred. Her dad, Greg Stokes had everything in the world to do with this young lady sticking it out. He told her to keep working, that it was a commitment, and she needed to see it through.

She really started coming on defensively last year. You could see her confidence growing. I followed her a little bit early this summer in the Iowa Summer League, and she just dominated. All Kiah needs to do now is to get better offensively. I cannot wait to see her growth.

What do you mean she could be a star anywhere else? Have we held her back; has Geno not given her opportunities; I think not.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
No, but she's had to compete with Dolson for minutes and now Stewart and Tuck. If she was at any other top 10 program (maybe not Baylor last season) she'd be a starter. No one is holding her back, but the talent around her is just much greater than she would face at another program.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
No, but she's had to compete with Dolson for minutes and now Stewart and Tuck. If she was at any other top 10 program (maybe not Baylor last season) she'd be a starter. No one is holding her back, but the talent around her is just much greater than she would face at another program.
I'm with Sarals, Sonny. It was no insult meant for Kiah, altho I know I shouldn't speak for Husky Slim. But I think Kiah is going to have a fantastic season and if she plays up to her potential and plays like what Geno has seen so far, it will be easy to see why she may end up one of the top 10 "centers" in the nation by the end of the season. I think that's all he meant.

Although, I'm not sure I've read anywhere that indicated she wanted to transfer, or thought about it seriously, and her dad talked her out of it. I do recall reading comments by her regarding wondering if she was ever going to "get it" at UCONN, but maybe I missed other comments or articles...

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score

I hope Sonny reads this post...excellent analysis and the correct answer.

Reaction Score
I hope Sonny reads this post...excellent analysis and the correct answer.

I agree she would be a starter in many other programs. That doesn't necessarily translate to "star" though. I've always liked her and I hope she can pull it off here.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I agree she would be a starter in many other programs. That doesn't necessarily translate to "star" though. I've always liked her and I hope she can pull it off here.

Can't find where Sara, or anyone else, said "star"...did I miss it?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
As long as Kiah has the toughness, she already has all the rest. Does she have the toughness - yes, it is both in her head and in her heart. She just has to tap into it. Go Kiah.

Reaction Score
UCONN 's front court is the best in the country by far......Dolson, Stewart, Tuck, Kiah, KML, plus, the UCONN guards will keep the others teams guards out of the paint

Reaction Score
Although, I'm not sure I've read anywhere that indicated she wanted to transfer, or thought about it seriously, and her dad talked her out of it. I do recall reading comments by her regarding wondering if she was ever going to "get it" at UCONN, but maybe I missed other comments or articles...

I believe you are correct. There was talk about her transferring but she indicates it was not from her.....

“I didn’t really think about it until my dad talked to me and said, ‘Do you want me to talk to these people and say you’re not going to transfer?’ ” Stokes said. “Yeah, like people think I’m actually going to leave. I didn’t want that on me. I have to work hard and push through it and prove to everyone that I’m good enough.

http://snyuconn.com/uconn/stokes-seeks-to-achieve-consistency-as-junior/#more-8811

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
She and her father both said that such rumors were nothing but noise from those without a clue. She loves UCONN and everything about being there.

Reaction Score
She and her father both said that such rumors were nothing but noise from those without a clue. She loves UCONN and everything about being there.

I believe it. She seems to be a very unselfish team player, not aggressive toward her own career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom