go HEATHER | Page 2 | The Boneyard

go HEATHER

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Per Geno from the post-game presser:

What did you think about Heather Buck's performance?

"Well, the last week or two in practice we've talked to Heather about, `what are you good at? What are things that you can add?' Heather Buck can't score in the lane. It's just a fact. She struggles in the lane. She struggles against players that are really physical with her and I think that saps her confidence and energy level. But, she can make 15-footers and she can go after the ball when it goes off the rim. So, we've talked a lot about, `do the things you're good at and staying away from the things you're not.' Today was kind of a perfect example of that. She chases down every ball. She made a 15-footer. She made her free throws. If she can give us that every game, I think that's a great contribution. That's a lot more than you can say of where she was last year, where she didn't know what she was going to be able to do. So, I think it's a confidence builder for her to know, this is what I can do and I'm going to do it."
That's the most definitive information we've seen on Heather. I think Geno and the staff are working with her constructively, trying to focus on things that she is good at and comfortable doing. Maybe she can expand her game somewhat at a later date (or maybe not), but for now, just focus on a few things and do them well.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
At this stage with Heather, I'll take a result. Not concerned about numbers so much, as physicality and impact. Nor am I concerned about competition (yet), as it has to start somewhere.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Heather played AAU with the RI Breakers and her coach took the team to national events. She should have been exposed to some of the better players at some point in her high school career and certainly when practicing against Tina and the male practice players in college.
I was puzzled by that too. She stood up to Griner last year and played against Tina Charles for 2 years. Heather is big and strong. She seems as if she would like the physical game.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Heather played AAU with the RI Breakers and her coach took the team to national events. She should have been exposed to some of the better players at some point in her high school career and certainly when practicing against Tina and the male practice players in college.

It's always been a mental thing with Heather. I remember Geno and staff commenting that they couldn't figure out how to get her to turn the switch. It seems Geno is to the point where he's not concerned about that, and just wants Heather to do what she can do in order to contribute. That's a reasonable approach.

At this stage with Heather, I'll take a result. Not concerned about numbers so much, as physicality and impact. Nor am I concerned about competition (yet), as it has to start somewhere.

Reaction Score
Why should fans give up on her? Some, including me, were happy with Heather's more aggressive attitude. It's new and a source of hope for those of us who wish she'll do well.

Yeah, and it seems Geno understands this year's team needs her height and defense. I'm sure her 12 or so excellent defensive minutes against Griner are in his mind. With him having her focus on what she does well should improve her confidence. She should play more relax. Boards, defense, and 15' jumpers are all goodness and positive contributions.

Reaction Score
Try a CPTV game. See how it works for you. I'm in Denver and the picture on my PC was great during the game. If it works, sign up for the rest of the year.

obviously i didn't see the game, but the radio announcers were also "applauding" Heather's play talking about how strong and confident she was - especially when she didn't hesitate to pout up the foul line jumper. if Heather can average 6 points, 6 rebounds and a steal and block in 14 minutes this season, i think everyone will be thrilled. as Nan said, she doesn't have to be a superstar, but numbers like that will be huge. add to that the fact that i believe Kiah will be solid this year as she grows into her role, and is Milford said, as Michala gets her sea legs this year, watch out next year.

Reaction Score
Yeah, and it seems Geno understands this year's team needs her height and defense. I'm sure her 12 or so excellent defensive minutes against Griner are in his mind. With him having her focus on what she does well should improve her confidence. She should play more relax. Boards, defense, and 15' jumpers are all goodness and positive contributions.

She played 7 minutes

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Per Geno from the post-game presser:

What did you think about Heather Buck's performance?

"Well, the last week or two in practice we've talked to Heather about, `what are you good at? What are things that you can add?' Heather Buck can't score in the lane. It's just a fact. She struggles in the lane. She struggles against players that are really physical with her and I think that saps her confidence and energy level. But, she can make 15-footers and she can go after the ball when it goes off the rim. So, we've talked a lot about, `do the things you're good at and staying away from the things you're not.' Today was kind of a perfect example of that. She chases down every ball. She made a 15-footer. She made her free throws. If she can give us that every game, I think that's a great contribution. That's a lot more than you can say of where she was last year, where she didn't know what she was going to be able to do. So, I think it's a confidence builder for her to know, this is what I can do and I'm going to do it."
One game doesn't make a season, but there haven't been too many games Heather has played this well.

It's great Geno has made the adjustment and is having HB play to her strengths. No more forcing square peg into a round hole.

I hope it continues. I'm in the group that believes this is a confidence thing for Heather. She is not alone in being a tall person who doesn't like the physical part of the game. Perhaps if she gets more comfortable being on the court, this will be less of a problem for her. Good luck Heather.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Correction 7 quality defensive minutes. :)
i think it was a combo of Heather and Samarie at that point who provided 15 or so quality defensive minutes against Griner.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Samarie was an important part of the picture against Baylor but Heather played her minutes of defense against Griner superbly and that was not dependent on Walker.

Reaction Score
I was puzzled by that too. She stood up to Griner last year and played against Tina Charles for 2 years. Heather is big and strong. She seems as if she would like the physical game.

She stands up defensively but not offensively. She gets flustered and brings the ball down where it is stripped.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Samarie was an important part of the picture against Baylor but Heather played her minutes of defense against Griner superbly and that was not dependent on Walker.
true, but my point was that between Heather's 7 or so minutes and Samarie's 7 or so minutes, they combined for 15 solid minutes against Griner. they weren't in together... they were both in for Stef...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
true, but my point was that between Heather's 7 or so minutes and Samarie's 7 or so minutes, they combined for 15 solid minutes against Griner. they weren't in together... they were both in for Stef...
Yes, if I remember correctly for a short while early Samarie and Stef were on the court together.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
This team should have three or four players capable of scoring on the floor at all times when the game is still in doubt. If Heather is able to spell Stef without there being a noticeable drop on defense and rebounding, then she'll contribute to the team more then she has. Any scoring she provides would be a big plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom