Give this team a break. | The Boneyard

Give this team a break.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
First off everyone should have realized this was going to be a rough season because it follows a championship year.. In pro sports its tough to repeat and we lost 80% of our team. In two years, when our freshman and sophomores are juniors and seniors, then we can compare them to last years team.

Secondly we won last year because of chemistry. We were one solid unit that had been forged by the flames of diversity. We're not good this year, but 2010 and 2012 were a lot worse, considering the talent on those teams. And those teams became champions.

The bigger picture is, this is a developing team. Think April 2017. No one is going pro until after that year. Not Brimah, not D Ham. They need that time to get better. We'll have TSam, Purvis, Brimah, Facey, and Cassell as seniors. D Ham as an all American small forward. Jalen Adams as a sophomore will be running the team for the second year. And we need to fill in the rest of the team with dope recruits. We'll need another guard with sick handle and a glass eater.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately I really disagree with you when it comes to DHam being here for his junior season. Almost every 2016 mock draft has him as a lottery pick already, and that's with his growing pains as a freshman. He's only going to get better and I truly think next year is his last at UConn. Hope I'm wrong because I truly believe Brimah stays all 4 years, and that would be special to watch a junior DHam and senior Brimah with Adams, Purv, Facey, and others much more developed

Reaction Score
If you look at the historical UConn high draft picks, rarely does a guy jump after 2 years without really being something special on the court night in and night out. I can't see Ham making that big a leap in just over a year's time.

It's funny to me to see so many people complain about this year's team. Every title we've won, it's taken 3-4 years to reload. I don't know if Calhoun was just much better at keeping the team at a more competitive level year to year, but that'd be understandable and is something Ollie will need to develop. I don't see any reason we won't be in the thick of a title run in 2017 though. Is it THAT bad to be patient and let that grow into form?

Reaction Score
I think many of us are on board with living through a post 'ship hang over. Unfortunately, we are in the horrible spot of being in such a god forsaken conference while the P5 slowly pulls away. Many of us are just so super sensitive over the appearance of basketball weakness and how that plays out with respect to our viability in a new conference

Reaction Score
If you look at the historical UConn high draft picks, rarely does a guy jump after 2 years without really being something special on the court night in and night out. I can't see Ham making that big a leap in just over a year's time.

It's funny to me to see so many people complain about this year's team. Every title we've won, it's taken 3-4 years to reload. I don't know if Calhoun was just much better at keeping the team at a more competitive level year to year, but that'd be understandable and is something Ollie will need to develop. I don't see any reason we won't be in the thick of a title run in 2017 though. Is it THAT bad to be patient and let that grow into form?
We had some poor recruiting years even before JC left
We have one senior , with only DD leaving early , ( that's should be expected )the junior class is who ? If RB was looking out for himself he should have also left last year.
The Sophs except for Brimah saw little action last year.
Usually there is some upper class leadership even from the bench players. I suspect TSam will provide that eventually. Your lead guard , is not even comfortable in that roll. Even wilh all that the team should be getting better even if only incrementally.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I wrote this another posting regarding TSam and my sentiments fit here as well:

C'mon people
We're killing TSam here, other links are killing Boat, killing DHam, AB, RP, KO the list goes on.
TSam was more effective last year because the supporting cast was stronger in the areas of experience (you cant teach that), skill and bb IQ.
Everyone this year would be shining better if they had a compliment of players as last year.
Some years are going to be down due to injuries, a downsize in talent and experience, etc.
Instead of killing players I think it would be positive if people looked at this realistically. It's a young and inexperienced team. Sure, everyone had high hopes that RP was going to be the real Ferrari, DHam was going to come in and be a 1st team AA and leave, P Nolan was bigger, stronger, and faster, Boat was going to be the reincarnation of Kemba and Bazz (yet without the benefit of a like supporting cast). Dreams and reality are two very different things.
I was hoping that RP and DHam were going to be the difference but as I see now, both need adjustments in play, habits and in some cases - attitudes.
I am sure the team is frustrated and I really hope they don't read the crap floating here in the BY.
Yesterday some dolt on the chat was saying he wasn't bashing but merely criticizing.
If your boss sits with you and criticizing every move you make, is that going to be taken by you as a positive thing and the thought of him "bashing" you will never enter your thoughts?
These kids are making mistakes and some are not as polished now (and may never be) as Kemba, Bazz, Giffs, Okafor, KA, Ben etc.
Because KO doesn't get up and scream and hollar he all of a sudden doesn't care, has his mind elsewhere, isn't the coach we thought he was. That's plain BS. I am sure GMs in the league and ADs throughout the country think to the contrary.
I am by no means an expert but I have coaching experience of over 20 years covering youth thru Olympic Development on both the male and female side.
UConn men's bball has given us 4 National Championships in 16 years. What other program on the men's side can compare? I'm enjoying the ride. KO has had a taste - do you honestly think he doesn't want to stay at that level?

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
First off everyone should have realized this was going to be a rough season because it follows a championship year.. In pro sports its tough to repeat and we lost 80% of our team. In two years, when our freshman and sophomores are juniors and seniors, then we can compare them to last years team.

A. This isnt PRO SPORTS
B. Tell that to Kentucky on their way to back to back championship games

Reaction Score
A. We won the national title last year, Kentucky was just a finalist.
B. Kentucky hasn't yet made it to the championship game this year, so not really a point.
C. Kentucky, despite being the most enviable program right now, has won just one Ship since Calipari's been there. We've won two.

Reaction Score

Charlie V. made the jump from his freshman to sophomore year and he left. I agree with lange10 on this. He will be gone after next year. I hope I'm wrong but I think he is going develop big time next year. He seems to be deferring to RB a lot this year.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score

Secondly we won last year because of chemistry. We were one solid unit that had been forged by the flames of diversity. We're not good this year, but 2010 and 2012 were a lot worse, considering the talent on those teams. And those teams became champions.

The bigger picture is, this is a developing team. Think April 2017. No one is going pro until after that year. Not Brimah, not D Ham. They need that time to get better. We'll have TSam, Purvis, Brimah, Facey, and Cassell as seniors. D Ham as an all American small forward. Jalen Adams as a sophomore will be running the team for the second year. And we need to fill in the rest of the team with dope recruits. We'll need another guard with sick handle and a glass eater.

Seattle Seahawks had a rough season this year...oh wait.

Reaction Score

Sorry OP the college basketball landscape has changed so much that we really can't afford a down year like this one. I mean I can see us struggling but we are almost a .500 team in a bad conference. That isn't what I expected from a UCONN team.

Reaction Score
Seattle Seahawks had a rough season this year...oh wait.

I think you're missing his point, Bonehead. I read him to mean that it's tough enough to repeat in pro sports and that much HARDER to repeat in college sports with so much more turnover.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Trying to think of the guys that left before their junior season in comparison to Hamilton.

I think he would get drafted early, but I think he would get eaten alive with his weak handle and decision making. Talent is there though.

Drummond was a freak of nature and we pretty much knew he was a 1 and done and was all BE freshman team.

Lamb won a title as a freshman and left after his sophomore season as 1st team all BE.

Rudy left after his sophomore season as 1st team All America.

Charlie V won in 04 as a freshman and left after his sophomore season as 2nd team all BE.

Reaction Score
Trying to think of the guys that left before their junior season in comparison to Hamilton.

I think he would get drafted early, but I think he would get eaten alive with his weak handle and decision making. Talent is there though.

Drummond was a freak of nature and we pretty much knew he was a 1 and done and was all BE freshman team.

Lamb won a title as a freshman and left after his sophomore season as 1st team all BE.

Rudy left after his sophomore season as 1st team All America.

Charlie V won in 04 as a freshman and left after his sophomore season as 2nd team all BE.

If we win the title next year or Ham is an All American, I'll take it back. I think both of those things are a little bit of a stretch based off what I'm seeing right now and I still think he's a 3 year guy. Rip was. Ray was. Okafor was. Gordon was.

Reaction Score
If we win the title next year or Ham is an All American, I'll take it back. I think both of those things are a little bit of a stretch based off what I'm seeing right now and I still think he's a 3 year guy. Rip was. Ray was. Okafor was. Gordon was.
Times are changing as players seem to be leaving even earlier. Still too early to tell how he will develop but he is definitely showed the skills this year to believe he could explode next year if he improves his game in the off season. The talent is there for sure.

Reaction Score
Times are changing as players seem to be leaving even earlier. Still too early to tell how he will develop but he is definitely showed the skills this year to believe he could explode next year if he improves his game in the off season. The talent is there for sure.

Like when? Give me a couple games. In the last 10 games, he's hovering around 7-10 ppg. What makes you that confident he could "explode"?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
There were threads like this during FB season. Not entertaining them for BB. The record is what it is. We stink and struggle against any team that remotely matches up physically.

A saw a lot of guys pass up open jumpers last night. And I'm about done with the idea of Hamilton as an AA or lottery pick. Daniels was better and I'm not sure DH will get better than he did.

Reaction Score
There were threads like this during FB season. Not entertaining them for BB. The record is what it is. We stink and struggle against any team that remotely matches up physically.

A saw a lot of guys pass up open jumpers last night. And I'm about done with the idea of Hamilton as an AA or lottery pick. Daniels was better and I'm not sure DH will get better than he did.
Daniels was better as a freshman? Is that serious? I'm one of the bigger Daniels fans and you have a very short memory if you believe that.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately I really disagree with you when it comes to DHam being here for his junior season. Almost every 2016 mock draft has him as a lottery pick already, and that's with his growing pains as a freshman. He's only going to get better and I truly think next year is his last at UConn. Hope I'm wrong because I truly believe Brimah stays all 4 years, and that would be special to watch a junior DHam and senior Brimah with Adams, Purv, Facey, and others much more developed
I'll bet anyone a thousand Bucks he doesn't go to the NBA after next year. You can't be serious with this.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
chrisn671 said:
Daniels was better as a freshman? Is that serious? I'm one of the bigger Daniels fans and you have a very short memory if you believe that.

DHAM is a liability right now. Even a Daniels on the bench as a frosh is a net positive over Dams terrible shot selection, free throw shooting, and turnovers.

He may turnout to be an AA as a junior or senior, but right now he plays because their is no one else. Those are the facts.

Reaction Score
Not sure what games you guys are watching but I have seen someone improving his 3 pt shooting and he plays decent d and is our best rebounder. His alley oops to AB are a thing of beauty until he goes crazy trying to force it all the time. Does he make freshmen mistakes. Sure but he is definitely not a liability when on the floor. Next thing you will tell me is you rather have TSAM on the floor than Dham. Trust me from what I have seen mid range game, improving 3 pt shooting, defense and rebounding to get to the next level. He just needs to become more assertive and I'm sure he will do that next year once RB is gone. I hope he does it this year before it ends! Unfortunately he is playing on a team with only 2 other legitimate UCONN type players (AB & RB). Maybe RP as a backup on past teams.

Reaction Score
man this is disgusting. go to the stats or watch tapes whatever you need to do to update yourself. deandre was abysmal his first year. and not so great his second year either until he made a nice run starting during the south florida game. dham has better stats than any freshman weve had in years, save maybe drummond. he is too casual with the ball and needs to tighten up his handle and im sure he will work on that as it seems that stems from being able to dominate in high school. get a grip

Reaction Score
We had some poor recruiting years even before JC left
We have one senior , with only DD leaving early , ( that's should be expected )the junior class is who ? If RB was looking out for himself he should have also left last year.
The Sophs except for Brimah saw little action last year.
Usually there is some upper class leadership even from the bench players. I suspect TSam will provide that eventually. Your lead guard , is not even comfortable in that roll. Even wilh all that the team should be getting better even if only incrementally.
You're saying Boat should have left early eventhough he was projected as a second round pick at best? He did plenty of diligence and was told NBA people felt he needed to stay in school and prove he can run a team. I love Boat and his warrior mentality but let's not make him out to be a martyr who sacrificed a guaranteed opportunity to play in The League and make a ton of $. He stayed to improve his game and and his draft stock, he didn't owe the program anything after last year.

Reaction Score
I'll bet anyone a thousand Bucks he doesn't go to the NBA after next year. You can't be serious with this.
Not sure why you think it is far fetched of me to believe that a guy who's projected to be a lottery pick will leave for the draft. DD left early when it wasn't a sure thing he'd be a first rounder. Relax

Reaction Score

Truth is we wouldn't have 11 wins if Daniel Hamilton wasn't a Husky. Say what you will, but that's the truth. The TO's are bad, but his game easily has the 2nd best potential on the team, may be the most. Rebounds and assists mean something and he's done that and yo can't deny that. TO's are a bit frequent but look around, there's nobody to help just like everyone wants to say about Boat. Yeah I'm sick of his insistence on spinning in the lane, dribbling into traffic and losing the ball but you know what the good news is, he can do make plays. And eventually he'll be really good at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom