OT: - Give Kevin Ollie Credit | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Give Kevin Ollie Credit

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

In all seriousness, as someone with a lot of nice suits and ties, I'll say that KO did have some nice suits and ties.

Reaction Score
Eh, I don't know. We'll never really know, will we? In my eyes, that 2014 trophy was because of Shabazz Napier, Ryan Boatright and Deandre Daniels (among other players - none of whom were brought in by Ollie).

Of course, the debate over Kevin Ollie on the Boneyard isn't new. I usually stay out of it. But I couldn't resist making a comment this time!

When you get a chance remind me of how much Deandre Daniels, Neils Giffey, Kromah, Samuels and Phil Nolan played for JC, just curious. And being a 13 year NBAer I'm just guessing he had a little to do with Bazz and Boat (kemba as well?) considering he was on the bench while JC was coaching them. JC certainly was part of it but KO did a tremendous job considering APR, etc and no taking away from those years.

Again Fishy did get his trajectory correct and that's a deserved reply, but the ones who say he gets no credit for 2013 or 2014 as well as all he's remembered for is destroying our basketball program, well they're pretty lame!

Reaction Score
Brooks Bros as well when they were part of the working man, yep agree. But Jay did look dapper but prolly more like Gotti than Calhoun.

I still like the pullover look, heck its my attire with my company name on every color available. That way the boss can't tell whether I'm visiting clients or playing 18. (shorts are in the car)
Your boss knows whether you're visiting clients or playing 18.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Eh, I don't know. We'll never really know, will we? In my eyes, that 2014 trophy was because of Shabazz Napier, Ryan Boatright and Deandre Daniels (among other players - none of whom were brought in by Ollie).

Of course, the debate over Kevin Ollie on the Boneyard isn't new. I usually stay out of it. But I couldn't resist making a comment this time!
We'll never know, will we? Maybe they'd have won it all in 2014 if Calhoun stayed. Maybe Howie Dickenman could have led them to a 40-0 record. Maybe Ollie kept Phil Nolan from winning a Naismith award. Truly this is a form a debate worthy of pursuit.

Reaction Score

The usual discussion about Ollie has been about the trophy and the later atrophy.

Or, whether Ollie was riding the Calhoun trolley
Followed by malfeasance and folly.

The usual grist for the mill
About the descent downhill.

Reaction Score
I will bite lol.

Kevins suits were very nice, relative to your flavor of course. Jay wore some high end Italians as well more to my liking but both were well dressed coaches.

Having said that I will go one further I like the variety of 1/4 zip Nova pullovers Jay and his staff wore this past year to all games. I liked them much getter than the suit/sport jacket - no tie look our coaches wore all year, especially when buttoning white shirts to the to without a tie. Uggghhh

Hope they go to the UConn pullovers, casual wear this coming year much better look.

Ok have at it LOL

Not only an expect on mau-surements. But an expert on mau-fashion.

Reaction Score
The usual discussion about Ollie has been about the trophy and the later atrophy.

Or, whether Ollie was riding the Calhoun trolley
Followed by malfeasance and folly.

The usual grist for the mill
About the descent downhill.
The comment I replied to said that we wouldn't have won the 2014 championship without Ollie. I stand by my response. It could be true, but I don't know it to be the case.

It was a special group of kids -- they were not only talented, but they had a unique toughness and desire to win. What I do know is that the team doesn't win the championship without Napier. They don't win without Boatright. They don't win without Daniels.

Ultimately, though - the point is this -- Kevin Ollie obviously did a much better job when he first started in 2013 and 2014. There was clearly a descent downhill. But that descent (which I still believe was more due to lack of effort than lack of ability) forever tarnished what he accomplished. He left us in such an awful place that I can't remember him for anything else but that.

Reaction Score
The comment I replied to said that we wouldn't have won the 2014 championship without Ollie. I stand by my response. It could be true, but I don't know it to be the case.

It was a special group of kids -- they were not only talented, but they had a unique toughness and desire to win. What I do know is that the team doesn't win the championship without Napier. They don't win without Boatright. They don't win without Daniels.

Ultimately, though - the point is this -- Kevin Ollie obviously did a much better job when he first started in 2013 and 2014. There was clearly a descent downhill. But that descent (which I still believe was more due to lack of effort than lack of ability) forever tarnished what he accomplished. He left us in such an awful place that I can't remember him for anything else but that.
You are right they don't win without Daniels but again, answer me how many minutes did Deandre play for JC or was he yanked from games quickly. Then remind me of the awful soph year Bazz had (he was a handful along with Oriahki so was the team) only to be revived by KO and his staff in 13 and 14. This wasn't just 14 and the NC it was KOs first year in which he took a team with nothing to play for because of APR to a 20-10 season the Big East.

He left us in an awful place, the only fact you get correct!

Reaction Score
We’ll this has to be the most “out of nowhere” thread I’ve seen today. Looking for some way to segue Wright’s retirement into yet another discussion about Ollie, I guess. Tiring.

Reaction Score
We’ll this has to be the most “out of nowhere” thread I’ve seen today. Looking for some way to segue Wright’s retirement into yet another discussion about Ollie, I guess. Tiring.

So the cool thing about the Boneyard is if you read a title that is tiring you never have to read any of it so that you call it "tiring"!

But I agree and you are correct,. For some reason I have trouble staying out of the weeds in this though, highly unusual.:oops:

Reaction Score
So the cool thing about the Boneyard is if you read a title that is tiring you never have to read any of it so that you call it "tiring"!

But I agree and you are correct,. For some reason I have trouble staying out of the weeds in this though, highly unusual.:oops:
Unfortunately the thread title wasn’t particularly helpful. I thought we were getting some new nugget on Overtime Elite or whatever. If, on the other hand, it was something like “Gotta give Ollie credit for being a better dresser than Jay Wright”, I and most others here wouldn’t have wasted our time.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately the thread title wasn’t particularly helpful. I thought we were getting some new nugget on Overtime Elite or whatever. If, on the other hand, it was something like “Gotta give Ollie credit for being a better dresser than Jay Wright”, I and most others here wouldn’t have wasted our time.
I guess a thread reviewer is like a book or movie reviewer.

You have to read the entire book or see the entire movie to give a complete review, like Leonard Maltin does or like Siskel and Ebert did.

I wonder if Ollie reads the BY when he sees his name in a thread. He might have read this one because the title sounds flattering.

If he read it through (like he hasn't heard all this before), he may just cry all the way to the bank.

Reaction Score
We're reaching the point where the position expressed by Connecticut13 might be exceeding the duration of the contention that "Jerome Dyson was a lousy player because he never won a post season game!".

I give Chief credit for lasting as long as he did arguing that point well after everyone else moved on. His nadir was your zenith BigErn. Before then you were kind of languishing. It got to the point many Boneyarders were waiting for one of your quips in response to Chief. And you never failed us. Only thing different between then and now is you have a lot more fish in the barrel to choose from.
That was really not my problem with Jerome at the time. True, Chief wasn’t a fan of his 9 turnover game in FL, etc. But, my issue at the time was lack of game prep. He played hard but even Jim said publicly if one is to criticize Jerome it was lack of game prep. A lack of game prep not only lets yourself down but your teammates.
Chief and Jerome have made up and we are on the same page. No one today would agree more with Chief than Jerome.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Compare Jimmy's 1987 attire to his suits some 10 years later

From $ 99 to 4 figures

Reaction Score

Chief will always believe it had more to do with his personal life than basketball. For reasons others have discussed, personal issues just crowded out basketball and kind of consumed him. It wasn’t the KO I knew during other times in his life. Then he got in a legal process with the school and regardless of what someone may have thought of that, he did prevail but he wasn’t really driving the bus. The lawyers did their thing and apparently he was a good client who listen to his attorney.
I don’t personalize either Situation like so many here do. Life goes on and some here need to learn how to let go.

Reaction Score
Chief will always believe it had more to do with his personal life than basketball. For reasons others have discussed, personal issues just crowded out basketball and kind of consumed him. It wasn’t the KO I knew during other times in his life. Then he got in a legal process with the school and regardless of what someone may have thought of that, he did prevail but he wasn’t really driving the bus. The lawyers did their thing and apparently he was a good client who listen to his attorney.
I don’t personalize either Situation like so many here do. Life goes on and some here need to learn how to let go.
In hindsight (how convenient), the two questions that should be asked about KO - was he ready to run a MAJOR program? (No) and was he ready to be the guy to follow/manage JC? (absolutely NO!). His personal situation was some part cause and some part effect to his ultimate demise. But he was over his head from Day 1. When JC's recruits left, it. became painfully obvious.

Kevin Ollie without a divorce doesn't change this.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom