Gilbert Officially Transfers to WSU | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Gilbert Officially Transfers to WSU

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Swap Al for CV and I agree.
Incredible
Some folks just don't give up
I was always plugging for AG even in the chat and heard lots of crap from so many - lots who come on here and wish him the best while saying so much hate on him a mere 3 months ago
AG has come through so much since coming to UConn, physically ans mentally
CV is a fantastic person and player, as is AG

Reaction Score
Well both can be true, no? It’s weird for me as a UConn fan that he’s going there. But to AG the person it makes total sense.
At least it is not likely he will be playing against UConn.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Playing time. Change of scenery. Familiar competition. All makes sense to me.
Plus, he's not going in completely cold. He doesn't have time for that.

Reaction Score
So strange - middle of Kansas- don’t get this one at all. I hope he does well but I could easily see him looking back on this this time next year and saying why did I go there? At least go to Georgia or some some mid- lower level SEC/acc school closer to home - why would you want to stay in the same trash conference where everybody knows u? he really rather play in Wichita than back with UConn in the big East atmosphere for five - 7 less minutes a game? disappointing- but he’s still one of my fave huskies in recent memory.
The middle of Kansas/Middle of nowhere lines are just untrue. Wichita is a city of like 400,000 and the Shockers draw 10k+ per game. Marshall has had them ranked in the top 20 9 of the last 10 seasons and in the top 10 4 in 4 separate seasons. This ain’t Last Chance U.

Last edited:

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
The middle of Kansas/Middle of nowhere lines are just untrue. Wichita is a city of like 400,000 and the Shockers draw 10k+ per game. Marshall has had them ranked in the top 20 9 of the last 10 seasons and in the top 10 4 in 4 separate seasons. This ain’t Last Chance U.
I’ve been to Wichita more than a few times. It’s a great town especially for hoops. Shockers are their pride and joy. They’re one of the few AAC teams that actually pack their arena.

the more I think about it the more I like the fit. I trust AG did not make this decision lightly

Reaction Score
Eh, let’s not overstate it. Ez -it’s still the state of Kansas. Best of luck Al- you were always one of my favorites. Hope it works out

Reaction Score
Eh, let’s not overstate it. Ez -it’s still the state of Kansas. Best of luck Al- you were always one of my favorites. Hope it works out
New Orleans' AAA baseball team just moved to Wichita.

RIP Baby Cakes.

Reaction Score
Not stay in same dead conference
Not go to a team that’s falling apart
Not go to a team In middle of nowhere
Go closer to home
Stay with UConn in big East
Enough reasons?

Out of hs Al committed to a program in a dead conference, in the middle of nowhere and not close to home. He may not have realized the school would totally fall apart but it happened. He has a type.

Honestly, I like the move. Marshall is a great coach. Definitely an upgrade for Al. They have no depth but a solid core. I bet they land another couple transfers and are fighting for the tourney.

Reaction Score
This “It’s Kansas” take is such a bizarre stance to double down on. There’s actually another college basketball program in the same state that does it even bigger than the Shockers do.

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
and, ya know, for the very real bitness of basketball, the bitness al has been pursuing his entire life, and knows no other, these are very wise facts to help him take one more shot at the big leagues, where, I hear, they pay a lot of money. maybe catch lightning in a bottle. tate george did. 1 shot.

Reaction Score
So strange - middle of Kansas- don’t get this one at all. I hope he does well but I could easily see him looking back on this this time next year and saying why did I go there? At least go to Georgia or some some mid- lower level SEC/acc school closer to home - why would you want to stay in the same trash conference where everybody knows u? he really rather play in Wichita than back with UConn in the big East atmosphere for five - 7 less minutes a game? disappointing- but he’s still one of my fave huskies in recent memory.
Yea, the middle of Kansas is so different than the City of Storrs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
GREAT move for Alterique, and I'll tell you why.

There's been talk about how Gilbert would be an excellent coach someday, given his dedication and how much he's been through. If he plays two years under Gregg Marshall (I know there's recent drama but the man is a great coach), after two years under Hurley, after two years under Ollie...

I'm just saying that's going to be the full spectrum of coaching. He will have seen it all. And it will be an excellent foundation to build a coaching career on, if that is indeed something he wants to do.

Reaction Score
WSU is a good program, Marshall is a good coach, and playing time is available, but this is such a bizarre decision.

No closer to home, no improvement in exposure, and a bunch of opponents who already know his tendencies and made him look really bad for most of last season.

Reaction Score
Yea, the middle of Kansas is so different than the City of Stores.
First of all spell Storrs correctly , not like grocery, Secondly , Wichita is definitely bigger than the town of storrs ; but I wasn’t talking about the campus itself I was talking about the entire region and the chance to play in the NYC metro area/Big East as opposed to playing in cornfields(I know he’s not really playing in Cornfields so please don’t respond to that ) Why are you defending the state of Kansas over ct/northeast - You really think the culture of Kansas is equal to the culture of CT/northeast? I just think it’s a really strange move that’s all - most people on the board do. He has every right to go wherever he wants to of course - I honestly would’ve thought a team from our conference wud be the last place he wud want to go - then throw in the fact it’s in the middle of Kansas - last time I’ll say it - it’s strange - end of discussion.

Last edited:

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
WSU is a good program, Marshall is a good coach, and playing time is available, but this is such a bizarre decision.

No closer to home, no improvement in exposure, and a bunch of opponents who already know his tendencies and made him look really bad for most of last season.
Maybe but Alterique has some pretty good people advising him, Hurley etc. I wouldnt think he would go against everyone to choose Wichita. Its also very difficult to say if this is a good choice or not until after he finishes next year. A lot of people said Cockburn made the wrong decision when he went to Illinois, that ended up pretty well.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I think the big question is what grad program that Al is interested in that WSU has that UConn doesn’t? Isn’t that the whole premise of grad transfers?

Reaction Score
First of all spell Storrs correctly , not like grocery, Secondly , Wichita is definitely bigger than the town of storrs ; but I wasn’t talking about the campus itself I was talking about the entire region and the chance to play in the NYC metro area/Big East as opposed to playing in cornfields(I know he’s not really playing in Cornfields so please don’t respond to that ) Why are you defending the state of Kansas over ct/northeast - You really think the culture of Kansas is equal to the culture of CT/northeast? I just think it’s a really strange move that’s all - most people on the board do. He has every right to go wherever he wants to of course - I honestly would’ve thought a team from our conference wud be the last place he wud want to go - then throw in the fact it’s in the middle of Kansas - last time I’ll say it - it’s strange - end of discussion.
Culture of the region? Really? Alterique is going to play college basketball for a year, not buying tickets to a Broadway show. Being handed the keys to one of the most successful programs of the last decade or so is an incredible opportunity for a grad transfer — and one that we should all be so happy to see AG getting — and there’s nothing even remotely strange about Alterique jumping at a chance to get major minutes for a coach Dan Hurley clearly respects at a winning program.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
last time I’ll say it - it’s strange - end of discussion.
It's not strange at all, he's an adult looking for his best fit. Not a wide-eyed 17 year old kid. Adults starting out go where they feel career is best served, "culture" isn't at the top of the list especially for just a year.

And why do people say end of discussion when it clearly isn't?

Reaction Score
Actually, yes it is.

This “graduate transfer” exception was intended to provide academically achieving student-athletes who successfully completed their undergraduate degree – with remaining athletic eligibility available – the opportunity to continue their college athletic career while seeking to achieve an advanced degree at another university in a program not offered at their undergraduate college.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom