Gilbert is committed | The Boneyard

Gilbert is committed

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
“The last two years have been up and down for us,” Gilbert said, “but I definitely know the history and tradition at UConn. There is another side to it and I want to experience that side. The guys I’m worried about are the 15 guys in that circle. People can have their opinions about Coach [Kevin Ollie] or about this team, but it doesn’t really matter.”

UConn Men Notebook: Alterique Gilbert Upbeat Following Shoulder Surgery

--------------------------------------------------------------

stay focused AG, I believe, and just like you I know better times are in the very near future

pj

Reaction Score
Makes me feel better about Ollie to hear our best players loyal to him. I liked Shabazz's endorsement, I liked Rodney Purvis saying coming to UConn was the best thing he ever did. I hope KO can figure out this head coaching thing and see it through.

Reaction Score
I love to see this, but he is stuck with the program in a sense. Transferring and sitting out a year isn't an option. I'm excited to see him kill it with us for a year. His speed makes him a great defender and if he can piece together his speed with creating offense he will be a true difference maker.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm excited to see him kill it with us for a year.
I'm excited to see him kill it with us for four years.

As a counter to Fishy's point about Vital/Larrier/Anderson on this year's team, sure would be nice to see a team with a healthy Gilbert/Wilson/Adams.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
That's beautiful , luv it, but we're under investigation ..........AGAIN

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I'm excited to see him kill it with us for four years.

As a counter to Fishy's point about Vital/Larrier/Anderson on this year's team, sure would be nice to see a team with a healthy Gilbert/Wilson/Adams.

That should be 2018/19.

Hopefully Adams doesn’t do anything too foolish.

He’s not even on some mock drafts. He needs to use that last year up and put it all together.

And I fully believe he can. But he’s not there yet.

pj

Reaction Score
A Gilbert/Akinjo/Adams/Wilson/Vital/Matthews perimeter would be pretty good.

Carlton/Whaley/Diarra would be a serviceable, if mediocre, rotation inside with another year's experience. Maybe Kwintin Williams could step up with a summer on campus to work, maybe Kisunas is good, maybe we can get another player inside.

But at least Ollie would have a roster to work with.

Reaction Score

Carlton/Whaley/Diarra would be a serviceable, if mediocre, rotation inside with another year's experience. Maybe Kwintin Williams could step up with a summer on campus to work, maybe Kisunas is good, maybe we can get another player inside.

What is the 3 point shooting % of that perimeter?

Reaction Score

don't forget polley...shot always looks good...another year and confidence should help

Reaction Score
I posted this the day before in the Team Chemistry thread.

1. Son of Robert

I really respected and appreciated Alterique's comments in the Hartford Courant this morning. He spoke to being 100% committed to the Uconn program, and that all the noise circulating around KO and his teammates doesn't bother him. He infers that given time this program will return to prominence.

I admire his unshakeable faith, and believe this is the most important thing he brings to the team. The rest is some fact and some speculation, but I'm going to lay it down anyway. AG brings things to this team, a McD AA skill set that no one else on the team has specifically like his, and also all the attributes of a team leader so very influential in creating, growing, and holding fast team chemistry. Only a freshman remember, in games played, so he is not the complete mature veteran player yet that will make him a star here at Uconn, but his impact was already being felt the first few games of the season. I think people underrate his shooting, scoring, and leadership abilities and/or potential to improve on these. I do not.

I think his early and growing influence on this very young team is in great part why we were able to hang with such a tough skilled MSU team, his skills on the floor, and also the players around him being better, because while he was on the floor the offense flowed differently and better, defensively also, plus he was the chemistry glue guy who helped make his teammates believe they could win. He brought such confidence to this team, and this would have increased throughout the season.

I think the Arkansas game, the ugly, mentally out of it blowout, was in large part due to this team losing their emerging leader and the chemistry he brought.

And they have not quite recovered. They have gotten better, individually and as a team, as players and coaches learned, adjusted, and improved. Chemistry wise they would have been on a different track if Gilbert had not gotten hurt, and their proficiency on the court would have been much more visible. Absolutely no doubt.

Very tough year, plain and simple. The breakup of the old Big East has decidedly hurt us with recruiting, it is surely much more difficult, but there are other schools that excel outside the P5, and we must be committed to being one of them.

Not sure how next year will shake out, but I do like our incoming recruits, those 3 help 3 different aspects of our team. Wilson on the bench already plus improving big men, three, freshman only, Carlton, Whaley, and Diarra, possibly some other roster shakeups, Jalen may or may not return, but I am again optimistic about the team next year. I do look forward to seeing Gilbert and Akinjo on the floor together. Maybe Kisunas is a big man who can pass in and out of the post.

The rest of this season we continue to grow and improve and get some wins, and never, never count ourselves out til the last buzzer sounds. Being mentally tough doesn't just happen, it needs to be learned and exercised.

In closing, I do not have a firm opinion on Kevin Ollie. A great deal of our downward slide must fall squarely on his shoulders. Kevin is no stranger to adversity or resilience and I do believe if given the opportunity will continue to turn things around. It does not happen overnight. However, management is going to do what management is going to do, and I will support KO or another coach equally.

Go Huskies! Bleed Blue!

Last edited: Yesterday at 9:47 AM
    Son of Robert, Yesterday at 12:24 AMReportReplies

Reaction Score
I’m looking at next year to be a really good year ... Wichita state loses most of their core to graduation or pro, same for Cincy n Smu n Tulane .. I think we should be favorites to win the aac .. n if Adams n Larrier decides to come back we could potentially be a top 25 team

Reaction Score
Since he red-shirted this year due to injury, could he transfer out next year without having to sit out for a season? If so, I’m glad he sounds so committed to the program.

Reaction Score
Since he red-shirted this year due to injury, could he transfer out next year without having to sit out for a season? If so, I’m glad he sounds so committed to the program.
Every transfer besides grad transfers have to have a year in residency at their new school (unless you lawyer up and attempt to sue the NCAA for their nonsense like Braxton Beverley from NC State)

Reaction Score
Look I hope he is just as committed when KO leaves. Gilbert has more skill than KO had when he started though not the size and if healthy he can be special for us, under any coach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom