Giffey Going Overseas | The Boneyard

Giffey Going Overseas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Good for Niels, but Alba Berlin is not the best team in Germany. Both Bayern Munich and Brose Bamberg are ahead of Alba. They play in the Euro Superleague.

Reaction Score
Good for Niels, but Alba Berlin is not the best team in Germany. Both Bayern Munich and Brose Bamberg are ahead of Alba. They play in the Euro Superleague.

that's on me for believing wikipedia

edit: looking through history it seems that Alba Berlin is far more accomplished than those clubs, I guess they've fell behind them recently.

Reaction Score
Getting a summer league spot probably upped his salary a fair bit, as they basically had to buy out his NBA hoop dreams. I'll be interested to see what he ends up getting. From what I've read about the German Bundesliga, the best players can make millions, but those guys were usually big stars in college (Casey Jacobsen, for example). Still, a guy like Giffey, who is probably relatively high-profile given his success at UConn and with the German National Team, should probably be able to pull in $300,000 or more.

Reaction Score
I like it. Going home , has to be decent money, more of a sure chance. Big part of our huskies and wish him all the best. I am sure we will be keeping track of him.

Reaction Score
How the hell could you know something like that ??? The hell is the matter with you?;)

Well, there are only 20 or so teams in the Euroleague. It's not that hard. I have been to club FIBA games in Toronto over the last decade. NBA teams travel to Europe and the Euroleague teams come to North America for games in summer.

Same setup as soccer.

Reaction Score
Wow. Didn't know anyone in America followed Euro League. Good for you man, that is awesome. Only team name I know on that side of the atlantic is Macabi Tel Aviv cause of Nadav.

Reaction Score
Getting a summer league spot probably upped his salary a fair bit, as they basically had to buy out his NBA hoop dreams. I'll be interested to see what he ends up getting. From what I've read about the German Bundesliga, the best players can make millions, but those guys were usually big stars in college (Casey Jacobsen, for example). Still, a guy like Giffey, who is probably relatively high-profile given his success at UConn and with the German National Team, should probably be able to pull in $300,000 or more.
That would be damn good coin for your first job out of college. Has to be a good recruiting tool for UConn. There are only x number of NBA spots, but you could still make a damn good living playing the sport you love.

Reaction Score
that's on me for believing wikipedia

edit: looking through history it seems that Alba Berlin is far more accomplished than those clubs, I guess they've fell behind them recently.

Alba was the second best in the Bundesliga last year. But two other teams from Germany compete in the Eurobasket league. I see Casey Jacobsen mentioned above. He plays for one of the German teams in the Euroleague.

However, since Alba finished second to Bayern Munich last year, Giffey is going to get a chance to compete against Europe's best teams, as Alba will be an entrant into the superleague. So I was wrong about that for next year.

Reaction Score
Wow. Didn't know anyone in America followed Euro League. Good for you man, that is awesome. Only team name I know on that side of the atlantic is Macabi Tel Aviv cause of Nadav.

I watched the final rounds the last few years. But that's kind of light watching. I spend too much time watching NFL, college bball and premier league games to watch anything else. As a lifelong Red Sox fan, I only caught the World Series last year. That's it.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Getting a summer league spot probably upped his salary a fair bit, as they basically had to buy out his NBA hoop dreams. I'll be interested to see what he ends up getting. From what I've read about the German Bundesliga, the best players can make millions, but those guys were usually big stars in college (Casey Jacobsen, for example).

Is it really called the "Bundesliga" as well? That's like both the NFL and the NBA having the same name under an umbrella organization.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I watched the final rounds the last few years. But that's kind of light watching. I spend too much time watching NFL, college bball and premier league games to watch anything else. As a lifelong Red Sox fan, I only caught the World Series last year. That's it.

I'm a Sox fan, but haven't watched a game in a few years. I still follow casually on ESPNBoston, but I think I've given up on baseball. NFL, UCONN BB, and Soccer is all I have time for.

Reaction Score
Is it really called the "Bundesliga" as well? That's like both the NFL and the NBA having the same name under an umbrella organization.

Yeah, it seems weird, but a lot of the clubs play so many different sports, so I guess that's just how things work over there. Bayern Munich has the best basketball team AND the best soccer team (and probably many other sports) in Germany most seasons.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I believe Doron Scheffer faced something similar leaving UConn. Fight it out for 11th or 12th roster spot or make a lot of money close to home. Probably wasn't that hard a decision.

Reaction Score
I'm a Sox fan, but haven't watched a game in a few years. I still follow casually on ESPNBoston, but I think I've given up on baseball. NFL, UCONN BB, and Soccer is all I have time for.
It is amazing. Before I got married I would probably watch 120 or so Met games a year including some I went to. I absolutely loved taking a day off midweek, walking up and getting a ticket to the 1pm game. Since kids, I'm lucky if I watch a few innings a week. UConn FB, UConn BB, Patriots and the NBA playoffs here.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Interesting. Almost everyone I grew up with watched the Yankees religiously and as everyone has gotten older its now NFL or college sports. Same thing with a lot of other buddies.

Doesn't seem like baseball interest overall is down ( that could be wrong) but I guess as adults I don't have the time or attention span for 3 hour games every night anymore where as I refuse to miss UConn basketball, football or giants football.

Reaction Score
I believe Doron Scheffer faced something similar leaving UConn. Fight it out for 11th or 12th roster spot or make a lot of money close to home. Probably wasn't that hard a decision.

Make a lot of money close to home for a legendary club, to boot. I wish Sheffer had played in the NBA for a bit just to prove he could do it, but I'm not sure I would have been able to turn down what he was being offered.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Yeah, it seems weird, but a lot of the clubs play so many different sports, so I guess that's just how things work over there. Bayern Munich has the best basketball team AND the best soccer team (and probably many other sports) in Germany most seasons.

Yeah, the club system must be the key. Not going to lie, I kind of like the club system and wish there was something similar here in the States.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Interesting. Almost everyone I grew up with watched the Yankees religiously and as everyone has gotten older its now NFL or college sports. Same thing with a lot of other buddies.

Doesn't seem like baseball interest overall is down ( that could be wrong) but I guess as adults I don't have the time or attention span for 3 hour games every night anymore where as I refuse to miss UConn basketball, football or giants football.

Yeah, it's a combination of things for me. 1. slow pace of the game itself 2. time investment: long games and long 160 game seasons 3. no salary cap makes things more boring.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Make a lot of money close to home for a legendary club, to boot. I wish Sheffer had played in the NBA for a bit just to prove he could do it, but I'm not sure I would have been able to turn down what he was being offered.

Scheffer would have been a good NBA player. Tall and strong, with a very quick first step and great instincts on both sides of the ball. The shot was slow but otherwise he had everything to make it. He ended up getting sick and quitting basketball in the prime of his career, although I believe he had a full recovery.

Reaction Score
Yeah, it's a combination of things for me. 1. slow pace of the game itself 2. time investment: long games and long 160 game seasons 3. no salary cap makes things more boring.

No salary cap kills it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99