Gibbs | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Gibbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Agree to disagree...I don't just equate athleticism with jumping out of the gym. The dude is fast as hell. Is Michael Johnson non-athletic? I couldn't tell you whether he can jump over a pencil, but he is (or was) fast. Name 5 guards in the country that are faster than Gibbs from end to end....I don't think you can.
Kris Dunn
Tyler Ulis
Melo Trimble
Nic Moore
AJ English
Jalen Adams

I could go on..

Reaction Score
Kris Dunn
Tyler Ulis
Melo Trimble
Nic Moore
AJ English
Jalen Adams

I could go on..

Ulis and Trimble maybe...if you think Jalen is faster dribbling from end to end than Gibbs then I'm not sure what games you've been watching this year. Adams is going to be great but he is not faster than Gibbs with the ball...and it isn't even close

Reaction Score
Was typing this as you posted and completely agree. @huskymagic you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about but sure let's compare a guy who was second team all-big east and ranked in the top-five in the BE in both scoring and assists last year to Craig Austrie. I loved having Austrie back in the day but the compassion between the two is nonexistent.

Gibbs is obviously still adjusting to the system but he hasn't been nearly as bad as some posters make it out to be. Let's not forget that he was a big part of the win over Michigan (our best of the season).

This. I loved Craig Austrie and what he gave us, but not even his Mom would compare him to Gibbs. Austrie was a role player/glue guy. Gibbs has been second team all league in the Big East.

Gibbs is not a pure 1, but that's not the issue. The defense of the entire tem right now is the issue.

Reaction Score
Down what road? He is already a fifth year senior and its not like he has ever played as a point guard. He is an undersized and nonathletic 2 guard who has no choice but to play point. He can serve a role as a spot up shooter which will help his game, but if you have to rely on him, the team is in trouble. He is a role player who doesn't play his role. It's not like Ollie can hide multiple zeroes on defense at the same time. Someone has to sit in favor of glue guy or someone with intangibles, and Gibbs has to be that guy to sit.
Try Feb-March. While you are at it, go back and watch tapes of Gibbs last year before Seton Hall's season unraveled. There was a reason Gibbs was a top 3 transfer available last year.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one who thinks that Gibbs should be starting at the 2 and/or coming off the bench for Purvis? We need to begin starting Jalen at the 1 as soon as possible so his confidence rises as we move closer to March. Him and Hamilton are the only ones who can create their own shot and get defenders off balance; (Gibbs can not do this in my opinion, he doesn't have that athletic spring in his step). I know if we start Gibbs at the 2 this would push Purvis to the bench, but I don't see that as a negative in the slightest...think of that type of energy coming off the bench...scary. If we bring Gibbs and Omar off the bench at the same time and stick them in the corners that would really spread out the floor. Lot of moving pieces with this rotation but I'm just not seeing Gibbs running the point. At the most I say give him limited time at the point to give Jalen some rest but for the most part have him at the 2 coming off screens and nailing 3s.

Reaction Score
It's early ...

Part of why YOU should all be thankful for Gibbs arrival is that Jalen Adams gets to have a normal less-intense baptism into College. Do I disagree with your assessment of Adams SHOULD be the lead guard and play that role that UConn tradition has prized? I don't think that is debatable; in fact, Ollie brought Gibbs in with a plan. Adams will evolve into that role. My view is that will come later this season and it will be a simple decision and Gibbs still will have a valued role.

Reaction Score
Ben too when he wasn't making his shots.
Ahh Ben, when he was hot he was our best inside/out player ever. He could take it to the rim, hid the mid-range or bust the 3 pointer, so versatile.

In another system with marginal/good players he could easily have averaged well over 20 points per game. Amazing that while at UConn he wasn't even our best player (i.e. Okafor).

Reaction Score
I do wish we used Gibbs differently though. I wish we had Gibbs hunting threes instead of handling the ball. But KO knows what's up. He'll do the right thing.

By mid-January I expect him to be off the ball, especially when Jalen is playing. Ollie is breaking Jalen in right now. I read Ollie talking about Gibbs plays well off the ball (2 guard). I think Jalen just needs a few more games. The thing is that Rodney is also not a true point guard, so that dilemma will be constant at opening tip.

Reaction Score
Gibbs is a terrific offensive weapon, his defense leaves much to be desired. really in the same way as hamilton although DH fills the box score . Probably the only competent perimeter defender on the team is purvis and at moments adams although he lately has slipped on defense imo. When you think of the 2014 team, they had FOUR competent perimeter defenders ; Kromah, Boat, Napier, and Giffey.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Am I the only one who thinks that Gibbs should be starting at the 2 and/or coming off the bench for Purvis? We need to begin starting Jalen at the 1 as soon as possible so his confidence rises as we move closer to March. Him and Hamilton are the only ones who can create their own shot and get defenders off balance; (Gibbs can not do this in my opinion, he doesn't have that athletic spring in his step). I know if we start Gibbs at the 2 this would push Purvis to the bench, but I don't see that as a negative in the slightest...think of that type of energy coming off the bench...scary. If we bring Gibbs and Omar off the bench at the same time and stick them in the corners that would really spread out the floor. Lot of moving pieces with this rotation but I'm just not seeing Gibbs running the point. At the most I say give him limited time at the point to give Jalen some rest but for the most part have him at the 2 coming off screens and nailing 3s.

Purvis is irreplaceable in the starting lineup imo. Too well rounded and experienced a player to come out. The LAST thing we need to do is remove defense from the perimeter.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Gibbs is a terrific offensive weapon, his defense leaves much to be desired. really in the same way as hamilton although DH fills the box score . Probably the only competent perimeter defender on the team is purvis and at moments adams although he lately has slipped on defense imo. When you think of the 2014 team, they had FOUR competent perimeter defenders ; Kromah, Boat, Napier, and Giffey.

That's why people calling for an Adams/Gibbs starting lineup is mind boggling to me. Lackluster starts on D would only get worst. Purvis starting is non-negotiable to me. And he seems to be the only one bringing defensive energy/intensity at times.

Reaction Score
Here's a question I posed before and it's a little off thread topic. Can our players adapt to our current defensive scheme or should KO try a different approach? Someone had noted that before the last game we were top 20 in defensive efficiency. That was fools gold. It was mostly against some of the worst teams in college bb. 4 of the last 6 opponents have shot over 45% against us. Too many of our players look lost in this system. It's not just Gibbs and Hamilton (however they've been really bad).

H

huskymagic

Here's a question I posed before and it's a little off thread topic. Can our players adapt to our current defensive scheme or should KO try a different approach? Someone had noted that before the last game we were top 20 in defensive efficiency. That was fools gold. It was mostly against some of the worst teams in college bb. 4 of the last 6 opponents have shot over 45% against us. Too many of our players look lost in this system. It's not just Gibbs and Hamilton (however they've been really bad).

Bro the defensive scheme isn't complicated. It's man to man defense, cover your man and switch if need be when screened, and have court awareness. It's more about recruting guys who have basketball IQ and fundamentals. Boatright, Kemba, Napier, etc knew how to play defense, it wasn't anything that was taught to them in college: they already possessed the prerequisite skills. Going small with 3 guards and Hamilton is the wrong move for Ollie going forward. Too many interchangeable zeroes on defense that will hurt us. Facey has earned the right to start for Amida. He is more talented, more athletic, and rebounds well, not to mention he has another year of eligibility over Nolan.

Lineup without Amida: Jalen, Purvis, Hamilton, Miller, Facey
Bench: Omar, Sterling, Enoch, Nolan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member