Gibbs | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gibbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I'll be in the minority here but I wish Terrance Samuel were still around. He could bowl his way to the rim better than anyone else on the current roster.

Reaction Score
I'll be in the minority here but I wish Terrance Samuel were still around. He could bowl his way to the rim better than anyone else on the current roster.
he sure did bowling ball his way to the rim, to the tune of 38% from the field. this is all without completing a single three pointer in over 700 minutes last year...as a 'guard'.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The inconsistency of all at times will make it tough on KO and he will need to read each game and figure it out. Bad news is the 3 guards (SG, JA, RP) had 10 TO's and add DHam's 4 since he handles is a ton this was a very bad outing on both sides of the ball today. Hopefully just rust!
That is the biggest problem with this team. KO just doesn't know what he is going to get from anyone on a given night. I'd like to see Jalen get more minutes but like him or not Gibbs has the experience to run the team and Jalen doesn't.
This team is not a finished product. The best is yet to come.

Reaction Score
The inconsistency of all at times will make it tough on KO and he will need to read each game and figure it out. Bad news is the 3 guards (SG, JA, RP) had 10 TO's and add DHam's 4 since he handles is a ton this was a very bad outing on both sides of the ball today. Hopefully just rust!
That is the biggest problem with this team. KO just doesn't know what he is going to get from anyone on a given night. I'd like to see Jalen get more minutes but like him or not Gibbs has the experience to run the team and Jalen doesn't.
This team is not a finished product. The best is yet to come.

Reaction Score
I actually think Gibbs has played one notch above shi**y, but I'm not giving up on him. I had all but given up on Omar, then suddenly he looks like a new player.

I do wish we used Gibbs differently though. I wish we had Gibbs hunting threes instead of handling the ball. But KO knows what's up. He'll do the right thing.

Reaction Score
Lots of good points guys , but that defense and it's pretty much everyone. Worst I can remember. We are light years away from the great D played against Michigan St. and the other teams on the championship run in 14. We have almost always hung our hat on defense. Just hard to figure . Just reminded myself that we did play good d against Ohio state so what happened today?

Reaction Score
There is little doubt in my mind that Gibbs will pay huge dividends down the road. He is a quality, mature, and very experienced guard that can score in a flurry. My guess is that KO runs a much different system and program than Gibbs is used to and he is still getting acclimated. The problem with Gibbs is not ability. I have seen Gibbs quite a bit and right now is he is thinking to much on the court on what he believes is wanted from him instead of relying on natural ability and simply playing/reacting(think Purvis for most of last year). He appears very uncomfortable out there, similar to many of us at a new job. Once it clicks, watch out. He is very worthy of starting on this team and getting 25 plus minutes nightly. To think otherwise is ludicrous.

H

huskymagic

There is little doubt in my mind that Gibbs will pay huge dividends down the road. He is a quality, mature, and very experienced guard that can score in a flurry. My guess is that KO runs a much different system and program than Gibbs is used to and he is still getting acclimated. The problem with Gibbs is not ability. I have seen Gibbs quite a bit and right now is he is thinking to much on the court on what he believes is wanted from him instead of relying on natural ability and simply playing/reacting(think Purvis for most of last year). He appears very uncomfortable out there, similar to many of us at a new job. Once it clicks, watch out. He is very worthy of starting on this team and getting 25 plus minutes nightly. To think otherwise is ludicrous.

Down what road? He is already a fifth year senior and its not like he has ever played as a point guard. He is an undersized and nonathletic 2 guard who has no choice but to play point. He can serve a role as a spot up shooter which will help his game, but if you have to rely on him, the team is in trouble. He is a role player who doesn't play his role. It's not like Ollie can hide multiple zeroes on defense at the same time. Someone has to sit in favor of glue guy or someone with intangibles, and Gibbs has to be that guy to sit.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Gibbs is not and will not be the answer. Forget about James Harden, Gibbs is a less talented and athletic version of Jerome Dyson. The sooner Jalen Adams starts and the sooner Gibbs is benched and doesn't play alongside Jalen and Rodney the better we will be. Omar should take Gibbs minutes. I don't want to see anymore fifth year transfers aka basketball mercenaries unless they are tenacious defenders or rebounding energy guys or glue guys who know their roles. You pretty much are spot on about Gibbs. He looks like a guy who has QUIT all over him.
Down what road? He is already a fifth year senior and its not like he has ever played as a point guard. He is an undersized and nonathletic 2 guard who has no choice but to play point. He can serve a role as a spot up shooter which will help his game, but if you have to rely on him, the team is in trouble. He is a role player who doesn't play his role. It's not like Ollie can hide multiple zeroes on defense at the same time. Someone has to sit in favor of glue guy or someone with intangibles, and Gibbs has to be that guy to sit.

H

huskymagic

Dude, did you have to disrespect Jerome Dyson, a fan favorite and an actual "good" college player. Why? Nothing about Gibbs reminds me of Dyson.

Horatio I wasn't disrespecting Dyson as I have a lot of respect for what Dyson was able to do here and Gibbs is nowhere near the player Dyson was. I have a problem with Gibbs not Dyson. Your right though a better comparison for Gibbs is probably Craig Austrie.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
Horatio I wasn't disrespecting Dyson as I have a lot of respect for what Dyson was able to do here and Gibbs is nowhere near the player Dyson was. I have a problem with Gibbs not Dyson. Your right though a better comparison for Gibbs is probably Craig Austrie.
It's all good bro. We all have our favorites and my fandom has to defend the
Legacy of Jerome , Super Tone and Selvie. In my opinion I kinda feel like Gibbs has to earn his Uconn jersey and even comparing him to Craig is wrong but thats the weird side of bringing in grad. Transfers as starters.

Reaction Score

Gibbs played almost exclusively as a PG as a sophomore, and mostly as a PG last year. Your posts are bad, and you should feel bad.

Reaction Score
I just hope this team figures out what last year's team couldn't. We were here in the same position last year, and it never clicked. You can argue there is more talent here, but Adams, Gibbs and Miller will have to bring much more than what Boatright brought. So far, Miller is doing that. Adams is just a pup.

Reaction Score
Gibbs played almost exclusively as a PG as a sophomore, and mostly as a PG last year. Your posts are bad, and you should feel bad.
Was typing this as you posted and completely agree. @huskymagic you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about but sure let's compare a guy who was second team all-big east and ranked in the top-five in the BE in both scoring and assists last year to Craig Austrie. I loved having Austrie back in the day but the compassion between the two is nonexistent.

Gibbs is obviously still adjusting to the system but he hasn't been nearly as bad as some posters make it out to be. Let's not forget that he was a big part of the win over Michigan (our best of the season).

Reaction Score
Harsher than I would word it, but not horribly wrong. In particular about defense. I haven't seen much that would suggest Gibbs can play D. I do hold out hope for his 3 point shooting and shooting in general.

Reaction Score
Just Feels ...

Some of the names I don't recognize seem terribly ignorant.

Gibbs? Look at Kromah. Then extrapolate ... to other peer programs. I think being a 5th year guy is tough. You'll try to fit in DESPITE, confidently, you know you can bring certain skills. I'm watching yesterday & I thought both Hamilton & Adams missed tossing an easy pass to Gibbs for a wide open 3. Gibbs finished better at the hoop yesterday; better angles. His defense? His overall game? Hmm. I think ... Marginal improvement.

We will see a different Gibbs in February. This comparison to walk ons & Dyson or Terrance Samuel? That's crap. No one here is going to let you throw that in the middle of a thread. I think you don't know what you're watching.

Reaction Score

If you think Gibbs is "nonathletic" you need your eyes checked son. You could make the case that he doesn't use his freakish athleticism enough. He is one of the quickest guards I've seen in the country taking the ball from end to end. His biggest flaw this year is he doesn't penetrate enough which as we all saw yesterday he can do at will. He's had a sub-par year because his shot has been off and he's been settling for 3's instead of taking it to the rim. There's about a 50% chance that he ends up as our leading scorer and "go to" guy by the end of the year because he has a better handle than Purvis.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It's all good bro. We all have our favorites and my fandom has to defend the
Legacy of Jerome , Super Tone and Selvie. In my opinion I kinda feel like Gibbs has to earn his Uconn jersey and even comparing him to Craig is wrong but thats the weird side of bringing in grad. Transfers as starters.

I love all those dudes too. TR is still in my top 5.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I mean, he'd be a better 12th man off the bench than Nnamdi Amilo, but how can anyone prefer Terrence Samuel to Sterling Gibbs?

Definitely not over Gibbs, but just a guy off the bench who could take it to the rack.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If you think Gibbs is "nonathletic" you need your eyes checked son. You could make the case that he doesn't use his freakish athleticism enough. He is one of the quickest guards I've seen in the country taking the ball from end to end. His biggest flaw this year is he doesn't penetrate enough which as we all saw yesterday he can do at will. He's had a sub-par year because his shot has been off and he's been settling for 3's instead of taking it to the rim. There's about a 50% chance that he ends up as our leading scorer and "go to" guy by the end of the year because he has a better handle than Purvis.

I'm holding out on Gibbs for a few more games because he is trying to fit in and be a team player.

There isn't any measurable way to say Gibbs is above average athletically at the high D-1 guard level of play. He is a below the rim player and doesn't have dynamic speed.

Reaction Score
I'm holding out on Gibbs for a few more games because he is trying to fit in and be a team player.

There isn't any measurable way to say Gibbs is above average athletically at the high D-1 guard level of play. He is a below the rim player and doesn't have dynamic speed.

Agree to disagree...I don't just equate athleticism with jumping out of the gym. The dude is fast as hell. Is Michael Johnson non-athletic? I couldn't tell you whether he can jump over a pencil, but he is (or was) fast. Name 5 guards in the country that are faster than Gibbs from end to end....I don't think you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom