Gibbs To UConn (not true yet; why don't y'all just give it 20 minutes) | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Gibbs To UConn (not true yet; why don't y'all just give it 20 minutes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Let's lock this up! Would love to see him in the Husky Blue!

Maybe this has been said before in another thread or something...but it seems like we hold a lot of appeal to these grad transfers. Do you guys think that's because we have a championship pedigree, a professional staff, a history of sending (and a presence) players to the NBA and new facilities? Maybe the more mature players realize that those are the most important things to look at, not just campus location, hype, etc, that might sway a younger less mature player? Just thinking aloud.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
NC State scares me. A lot. They're a Sweet 16 team in a great conference who have scholarships and tons of playing time to offer, and they've beaten us on the trail before.

I hope Bruce & tcf are right. But yeah... NC State scares me.

Reaction Score
Let's lock this up! Would love to see him in the Husky Blue!

Maybe this has been said before in another thread or something...but it seems like we hold a lot of appeal to these grad transfers. Do you guys think that's because we have a championship pedigree, a professional staff, a history of sending (and a presence) players to the NBA and new facilities? Maybe the more mature players realize that those are the most important things to look at, not just campus location, hype, etc, that might sway a younger less mature player? Just thinking aloud.

Obviously I don't 'know' anything, but I would think that the new UConn "brand" is very appealing to grad transfers and last year of eligibility guys. KO seems to stress that this is the kind of system where if you are putting in the effort and playing great team basketball in practice, you will get the playing time during games. That, the NBA style offensive system, a group that values comeraderie and having fun off the court, and the fact that we aren't getting any questionable character guys or 1 and done jokers who are in it all for themselves equates to a promised land for mature college players who dont want to put up with clown ass kids getting the playing time or having tons of attention nationally

Reaction Score

Come on, UConn obviously gives him to best chance to win out of these teams. I'm almost certain he would start at PG. I'll wish him the best of luck wherever he goes, but UConn just seems like the obvious choice.

Reaction Score
Adding Gibbs and Miller is like adding two 5* one and dones, and Jalen Adams is a 5* himself. Excited beyond words for next season.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Thought you were calling me crazy, then remembered that you had the whole duck theory, then realized you're probably referencing that and calling me crazy all at once. Job well done.
If you're crazy I have no idea where that leaves the rest of us.

Reaction Score
Gibbs is visiting next week. If he doesn't commit very soon after his visit, I don't think we'll get him. If he commits it will be either on or shortly after his visit.

Reaction Score
I was at the "Born to Lead" documentary presentation in Ridgefield tonight. Someone asked Calhoun about today's college game, and he mentioned that he doesn't like grad transfers, but said Ollie is doing the right thing by bringing them in because of all the one and dones. He said a few times that UConn is bringing in two grad transfers for next year. He said they have a kid coming in from Cornell, and then stopped himself when he was about to mention the other player. Thought that was interesting...
OK I found what JC said. I do think it is a done deal and just a matter of semantics for him to commit to UCONN.

Reaction Score
Good that we got him for an official next week. That should quiet the chatter for a little while.

At this point, based on what's already been reported, I'd say there's a 75% chance we get him, and of that, about a 90% chance he commits without visiting another school.

However, if he goes on to see NC State or Baylor, that would be a very concerning sign.

Reaction Score
If there is no announcement this week for Pitt or OSU and he visits Uconn it is probably a done deal. Look for that visit to Uconn announcement.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Hey, stop disparaging NC State. They're one of the top three schools in their entire state, and sometimes they win games.

Reaction Score
NC State scares me. A lot. They're a Sweet 16 team in a great conference who have scholarships and tons of playing time to offer, and they've beaten us on the trail before.

I hope Bruce & tcf are right. But yeah... NC State scares me.

They have Cat Barber. Kid is a great player and will not be removed from the starting lineup for Gibbs.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
They have Cat Barber. Kid is a great player and will not be removed from the starting lineup for Gibbs.
He's the one who pushed Rodney Purvis out of town too. I can't see Gibbs going there for one year...

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Adding Gibbs and Miller is like adding two 5* one and dones, and Jalen Adams is a 5* himself. Excited beyond words for next season.
The only difference is that those 2 "5* one and dones" aren't necessarily NBA talents. Miller is an experienced player who likely has a future professionally overseas, Gibbs could be a mid-2nd rounder in my eyes, unless he pulls off a Kemba/Bazz run. 5* recruit implies immediate NBA-level talent, and I don't think Gibbs and Miller are quite that, IMO. With that said, bringing in 2 experienced, fifth year players is exciting enough, and the fact they put up numbers is an added bonus.

Reaction Score
The only difference is that those 2 "5* one and dones" aren't necessarily NBA talents. Miller is an experienced player who likely has a future professionally overseas, Gibbs could be a mid-2nd rounder in my eyes, unless he pulls off a Kemba/Bazz run. 5* recruit implies immediate NBA-level talent, and I don't think Gibbs and Miller are quite that, IMO. With that said, bringing in 2 experienced, fifth year players is exciting enough, and the fact they put up numbers is an added bonus.
What you said is true but we don't play in the NBA so the point is kind of moot

Reaction Score
I know. But they are coming in off of 3-4 years of D1 experience, not 4-5 years of HS. Not claiming them to be lottery picks, just saying they will have a similar college impact.

Reaction Score
If Gibbs doesn't come here....
I'm gonna STOMP my feet. SCREAM until i can't SCREAM anymore and PUNCH walls.

Please Gibbs come to Uconn.
I can't bare to watch Samuel play more than 5 minutes per game.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I know. But they are coming in off of 3-4 years of D1 experience, not 4-5 years of HS. Not claiming them to be lottery picks, just saying they will have a similar college impact.
True, the balance of experience for next year's team is ideal, as long as Gibbs comes. We would start two players who have a a combined 8 years of college basketball, Purvis-who has been around for 3 years, and been through several highs and lows, Hamilton- a very talented Sophomore and Brimah with championship, upperclassmen experience.

Please come to UConn, Sterling.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
If Gibbs doesn't come here....
I'm gonna STOMP my feet. SCREAM until i can't SCREAM anymore and PUNCH walls.

Please Gibbs come to Uconn.
I can't bare to watch Samuel play more than 5 minutes per game.

I can't bare it either -- I refuse to remove my clothes whenever Samuel gets too much PT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom