GGGGRRR....WVU Basketball Practice Facility Tour | The Boneyard

GGGGRRR....WVU Basketball Practice Facility Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I can see why WV can afford a bb facility and UConn can't. They only show five teams of distinction for men and women. UConn's facility would have to be five times or more larger than WV's. :)

Prior to now the university lacked the leadership to get monies for such a facility. Now they have leadership in place. The problem is the economy. Just be patient.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
They paid for it with beer money.

Reaction Score
Did they forget anything? Very nice facility.

And to believe Storrs is the college b-ball capital of the world.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I can see why WV can afford a bb facility and UConn can't. They only show five teams of distinction for men and women. UConn's facility would have to be five times or more larger than WV's. :)

Prior to now the university lacked the leadership to get monies for such a facility. Now they have leadership in place. The problem is the economy. Just be patient.

Are we to believe that West Virginia's economy and it's economic recovery is ahead of Connecticut's? Ouch.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Are we to believe that West Virginia's economy and it's economic recovery is ahead of Connecticut's? Ouch.
It depends on when they got their monies, from whom, and when they broke ground.

Reaction Score
Wow, does anyone know how much it cost to build? I think Kentucky's was about 35 million a few years ago. It looks like they didn't spare any expenses on this one and I really hope UConn does the same. You get what you pay for so I hope UConn takes the time to build something state of the art that will be ready for the future. I'm no expert, but that 30 million estimate that they use always sounded just a little low. An extra few million can make a big difference between throwing up something that looks cheap and something that really wow's people. But I guess I should be worrying about even getting to 30 million before I start nit picking.

Reaction Score
Nice move by whoever directed this piece to get April to stop wringing her hands. After doing that constantly for the first minute, she either has her hands behind her back or they are out of the shot.

Oh, and the facility was pretty impressive.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
ours would have to be a lot bigger just to host the trophy room

Reaction Score
While I'm a huge UConn bball fan (and grad), it's almost sickening to see how out of control college sports has become. Is a practice facility like this really needed? It's friggin basketball.

Granted the big-time programs make money, but with many out of date academic facilities on campus (not to say anything about higher student/faculty rates and increasing tuition costs) watching that video makes you shake your head.

Reaction Score
It's nice to know there are still players (i.e. Drummond, Daniels, Boatright, Roscoe, Lamb, Shabazz) who still value playing for a great coach and getting to the next level. #SourGrapes

Reaction Score
Every state's economy is ahead of Connecticut. Last in job creation.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
While I'm a huge UConn bball fan (and grad), it's almost sickening to see how out of control college sports has become. Is a practice facility like this really needed? It's friggin basketball.

Granted the big-time programs make money, but with many out of date academic facilities on campus (not to say anything about higher student/faculty rates and increasing tuition costs) watching that video makes you shake your head.
Sometimes I argue the same point. On the other hand, the recent articles discussing the profitability of the men's and women's bb programs, offers evidence that these programs deserve consideration to get monies. Between men's and women's bb and the football program, there are enough monies generated to fund all of the other athletic programs, monies that don't have to come from elsewhere. Of course we could argue athletics should be eliminated altogether, but I feel there are a lot of students who appreciate having athletics at the university.

It's tilted me in favor of maintaining the geese that are laying the gold eggs.

Reaction Score
Wasn't crazy about the color of the stone on the coach's office fireplace.

Reaction Score
We don't "need" a basketball facility, some want a basketball facility. "Need" implies a necessity. There is no need for it at all.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
We don't "need" a basketball facility, some want a basketball facility. "Need" implies a necessity. There is no need for it at all.
I suppose there's no need to have a great coach, get top recruits or win either. But if we really want those things, we really do need a state of the art practice facility.

Reaction Score
While we need some sort of new practice facility, it honestly hasn't hurt our recruiting efforts and subsequent success.

Reaction Score
I suppose there's no need to have a great coach, get top recruits or win either. But if we really want those things, we really do need a state of the art practice facility.

We have won three national championships. Would we have won four with a practice facility? How is Gampel not a state of the art facility? Is it missing gold door knobs? Tell me how Gampel is damaging our ability to practice?

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
While we need some sort of new practice facility, it honestly hasn't hurt our recruiting efforts and subsequent success.
That's because we have a HOF coach who has put a ton of guys into the league. They could practice outside on blacktop and he could still get recruits to come to UConn. He won't be here in three years and the new coach most likely won't have the same chops to fall back on - a practice facility and a stable conference are must haves for whoever is next.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
We have won three national championships. Would we have won four with a practice facility? How is Gampel not a state of the art facility? Is it missing gold door knobs?
You could make an argument for a fourth with a better practice facility - maybe Jerome is better conditioned/stronger and doesn't get injured? Maybe Hilton doesn't get injured. Maybe Price is studying in the facility when the laptops show up? It's kind of far fetched, but there were a few teams that maybe with a little extra could have gotten there.

Gampel doesn't have the facilities that a state of the art practice facility would have. Better rehab, better game prep, better study areas, better conditioning, better film study. There's a reason schools build these.

Even if a new facility wouldn't have made any difference in the current number of NCs, it will have a huge impact when JC is gone as I said in the other post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom