Getting to know recent UConn women’s basketball commit Aaliyah Edwards, a Candace Parker-esque Canadian prospect | The Boneyard

Getting to know recent UConn women’s basketball commit Aaliyah Edwards, a Candace Parker-esque Canadian prospect

Reaction Score

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Can someone please paraphrase for the ones who don’t have the courant subscription?
Change your browser. Whenever I get locked out of say using Mozilla, I switch over to Google Chrome and view the Courant articles there, and vice versa. Locked out of both I use Edge. Or if you like, just clear your cookies and you're off to the races on whatever browser you want.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The exact quote is

"Edwards says she emulates her game off Candace Parker’s (“she’s really versatile, dynamic, kind of an in-and-out player, which is what I am as well"), though her favorite player is Kobe Bryant, for his relentlessness and grit."

I view her thoughts very positively. She was not lured by some long since past historical reputation but what is the best place for her complete development.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Can someone please paraphrase for the ones who don’t have the courant subscription?
She idolized Kia Nurse growing up because of Kia's tenacity.
Because she admired Kia did not mean UCONN was a given.
It took a UCONN visit to seal the deal because UCONN has "ballers" that are also fun off the court.
She modeled her game after Candace Parker (inside outside) and admires Kobe.
Jasmine was the first to make contact with her mother in March
Editorial: That's pretty late in recruiting process.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Yes it is, and I think because of the connection it worked. Without the Nurse connection I think it would have been a lot harder. Being late to the party certainly killed UConn's chances with Horston last year. It seems for the most part developing long term relationships with both the parents and the player are the keys to LOI's.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Jasmine was the first to make contact with her mother in March

It's very odd news considering NorthPoleHoops reported UConn's interest in her last fall.

Reaction Score
If you go to YOUTube and watch her U-16 games you'll see a much more raw player. Her handle wasn't very good and she succeeded only because she was bigger. But the energy and effort were apparent. She has come a long way in 2 years.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
If you go to YOUTube and watch her U-16 games you'll see a much more raw player. Her handle wasn't very good and she succeeded only because she was bigger. But the energy and effort were apparent. She has come a long way in 2 years.

The consistency might not have been there but the talent was. The video below is from her time at Frontenac High two years ago.

Reaction Score
The consistency might not have been there but the talent was. The video below is from her time at Frontenac High two years ago

I can make a highlight video of my golf game and some would think I was US Open material. ;)

Here's the video I watched, also a "highlight" video. She missses a lot of shots for a highlight video, particularly her 3 pt attempts. Watch her shot get blocked :30" into the video. And I don't think it reflects her game today at all. To me it appears that moving to her current school has provided her with better coaching. And that is confirmed by the comments from her coach about her attitude and her work ethic.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I can make a highlight video of my golf game and some would think I was US Open material. ;)
Here's the video I watched, also a "highlight" video. She missses a lot of shots for a highlight video, particularly her 3 pt attempts. Watch her shot get blocked :30" into the video. And I don't think it reflects her game today at all. To me it appears that moving to her current school has provided her with better coaching. And that is confirmed by the comments from her coach about her attitude and her work ethic.

Yes, I've seen that video before, but none of that negates the skills she shows in the previous one. Clearly there are plenty of moments of failure---even greats have those. There is also an obvious skill set to go along with quality shooting form, athleticism, ball-handling abilities, and a great frame.

Reaction Score
Yes, I've seen that video before, but none of that negates the skills she shows in the previous one. Clearly there are plenty of moments of failure---even greats have those. There is also an obvious skill set to go along with quality shooting form, athleticism, ball-handling abilities, and a great frame.

Remember, we were watching her best, not her worst. All those qualities you list are true but she had trouble putting the ball through the hoop 2 years ago.

And as long as I'm on the topic ... a pet peeve of mine is any player who can do a double spin move, dribble the ball through the legs of a defender ...... but then miss the rim on her layup attempt. I see that sort of thing all the time in games and it tells me there is too much time being spent on learning flash and too little on fundamentals like shooting making layups. And I blame ESPN and their love affair with 5 second highlights.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
why would the Courant insult her like that?

Aaliyah made the connection between herself and CP. The fact that she was smart enough not to be influenced by that is what really counts

The exact quote is

"Edwards says she emulates her game off Candace Parker’s (“she’s really versatile, dynamic, kind of an in-and-out player, which is what I am as well"), though her favorite player is Kobe Bryant, for his relentlessness and grit."

I view her thoughts very positively. She was not lured by some long since past historical reputation but what is the best place for her complete development.

Reaction Score
you folks worry about the most unimportant things.........................my main concern is what happens to the multi colored braids once she reaches Storrs?......................:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
you folks worry about the most unimportant things.........................my main concern is what happens to the multi colored braids once she reaches Storrs?......................:rolleyes:

Aint no mystery there.

Though it should be noted that Morgan Tuck did get to wear a head band! CD is weakening. I imagine that tattoos will be allowed by her in about 25 years.

Reaction Score
Aint no mystery there.

Though it should be noted that Morgan Tuck did get to wear a head band! CD is weakening. I imagine that tattoos will be allowed by her in about 25 years.

how about just blue and white?................:D

Reaction Score
I want to thank Road Warrior for giving me a pit in my stomach every time I open this site and see that name. ;) Yes, it's a flaw in my character.

I can't wait for this thread to descend to the nether regions of this board. And most of it isn't her, it's all the contentiousness that went on then. CP is a symbol of all of that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The exact quote is

Hmmmm... This may take me a while to get over. Struggled a little with the Evina thing, but yikes - CP as a role model? (I'll probably deal with it at some point - I finally warmed up to Roger Clemens and Johnny Damon when they came to the Yankees, but it took a few years).

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Hmmmm... This may take me a while to get over. Struggled a little with the Evina thing, but yikes - CP as a role model? (I'll probably deal with it at some point - I finally warmed up to Roger Clemens and Johnny Damon when they came to the Yankees, but it took a few years).

Nothing wrong with wanting to emulate Parker's offensive game. Defensively, I'd suggest Edwards will be significantly better.

Reaction Score
Alydar, you will be happy to know that the Courant changed the headline to:

UConn women’s basketball commit Aaliyah Edwards, who looked up to fellow Canadian Kia Nurse says she liked Huskies ‘competitive mentality’

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Aint no mystery there.

Players are now referring to Geno as "Coach Geno" or even "Geno." It used to be "Coach" or "Coach Auriemma."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom