Getting that Feeling (Again) . . . | The Boneyard

Getting that Feeling (Again) . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Dream season had it from very early on all the way to CL.
In 99 I had it all year.
In 04 I had it out of the gate, lost it mid season (back issues, Gordon hot/cold), had it the rest of the way.
In 06 I had it, but lost it very early (always thought that team lacked an intangible - chemistry?).
In 09 I had it from starter pistol to Michigan State.
In 11 I had it in Maui, lost it mid season (foolishly believing Kemba was not "that guy"), then got it back when JL started hitting the floater like Popeye hits Bluto, and MM decided to go epic thread on our asses, and had it big time the rest of the way. Would have bet 100 grand on beating Butler, were I a gambler.
In 14 I had the nascent rumblings of it for much of the year, but it did not galvanize until Giffey got the starting role, then I had it the rest of the way.

Got that feeling perking up inside. Not quite there yet, but definitely forming. I think the genesis was the coalescence of the return of Amida, the greater role of Adams, the reassignment of Purvis, and the exit from the funk of this year's Moses, who seems to have been reborn.

Played More than a Feeling at the bar whilst prepping this morning to celebrate the fact that, unlike a mere month ago, I am now anxiously looking forward to each game.

Finally, the difference between the height of the current high and the low I felt a month ago is easily the greatest delta I have experienced as a UConn fan, when we had threads by 10,000 post posters questioning our Coach's ability (me and most others echoing the query).

Maybe Ollie is a basketball genius. Maybe not. Either way, I'm super excited about the home stretch.

Reaction Score
Makersmuppet's post has to be the most epic post that has ever been posted on this board, not including tcf15 cheating with his highlight, chills down your spine videos. I'm with you though and definitely excited about what's to come! This four game stretch is gonna be fun and should be a telling point from here on out.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I'm not ready to say this team feels historic like the years you noted, but I do feel better about their overall play. For the most part the offense looks much better and I think Adams has something to do with it. I also think the return of Brimah, though not statistically huge, has had an impact.

Reaction Score
You are a visionist, in our last two Championships I did not get that feeling until the Tournament, and then I realized that we had AAs capable of taking us to the promise land.

This squad we don't have that AA presence but the quality of the players can overcome that. We have a very good group of players.

I would feel more confident if DHam can consistently perform at an AA level because he's our most promising player (however Miller is our best player right now).

The good thing is the field is wide open, but we need the leader to emerge (I suspect Jalen), we need the unstoppable player (DHam), we need a wild card player (I was hoping Calhoun but Gibbs could be the one), we need a killer instinct, and we definitely need that go to guy in close games or when we need to make a comeback (that still is unanswered). If these things get answered this month then I feel we can and will contend.

This month will be telling.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Is there anybody in there?
Just nod if you can hear me.
Is there anyone home?
Come on now
I hear you're feeling down.
Well I can ease your pain
Get you on your feet again.
Relax.
I'll need some information first.
Just the basic facts.
Can you show me where it hurts?

There is no pain you are receding
A distant ship smoke on the horizon.
You are only coming through in waves.
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying.
When I was a child I had a fever
My hands felt just like two balloons.
Now I've got that feeling once again
I can't explain you would not understand
This is not how I am.
I have become comfortably numb.

O.K.
Just a little pinprick.
There'll be no more, ah!
But you may feel a little sick.
Can you stand up?
I do believe it's working, good.
That'll keep you going through the show
Come on it's time to go.

There is no pain you are receding
A distant ship, smoke on the horizon.
You are only coming through in waves.
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying.
When I was a child
I caught a fleeting glimpse
Out of the corner of my eye.
I turned to look but it was gone
I cannot put my finger on it now
The child is grown,
The dream is gone.
I have become comfortably numb.

Reaction Score
In 2011 I started to believe when we went on the 5 game run in the BET.

In 2014 I didn't start to believe until we beat Iowa State.

Reaction Score
Makersmuppet's post has to be the most epic post that has ever been posted on this board, not including tcf15 cheating with his highlight, chills down your spine videos. I'm with you though and definitely excited about what's to come! This four game stretch is gonna be fun and should be a telling point from here on out.
Makers post was superhero visionary stuff and I defy anyone to find a better post about anything, anywhere. Wonder if he lives?

Reaction Score
The next 3 games (@Temple, Tulsa, SMU) will really be the deciding factor IMO. If we can win these games with the defense this team has been playing, it'll be an extreme boost for this team and I think they'll ultimately have the confidence to win the conference tournament.

At this point, the most important number we should be after is an NCAA tournament seed. Right now we sit at #8 seed, which would be very difficult. In this case we could play Villanova in the second round (which we all know how that turns out) but if we can snag at least a #6 seed that'll give us a legitimate chance to make a tournament run again. I realize we won as a #7 seed in 2014 but being a #10-#7 seed means you'll need to play a #1 or #2 seed in the second round if you win the first game, which is something we need to avoid.

I believe in this team, but I agree someone needs to emerge as a Kemba or Shabazz. Don't know if it will happen, but keep the faith because miracles have happened in Storrs before

Reaction Score
Unfortunately I have that feeling every season. I'm a delusional optimist. Even when they under-perform a la 2012, I convince myself that they have all of the tools and they're just a game or 2 away from putting it all together and making a sustained run. I'm not a smart man.

Reaction Score
I also think the return of Brimah, though not statistically huge, has had an impact.
Hamilton's numbers w/ Brimah (12 games)
46.2% (61/132); 13.08ppg; 5.25 apg

Hamilton's numbers w/o Brimah (11 games)
30.0% (36/119); 10.45ppg; 4.64 apg

The threat of Brimah lurking on the baseline keeps opposing bigs out of the lane, because if they come out to contest DHam's drive he tosses a lob. If they don't come contest, he can shoot relatively undefended floaters.

In modern hoops parlance this is called a "rim runner," a big-man who has no real individual skills but understands how and when to get to the rim when his little guys drive or run the pick and roll. The best & most effective example was Tyson Chandler for the 2011 Mavs - and even they didn't understand how crucial a part of the offense he was.

Most people don't get it because when we think of "effective offensive player" we think post moves, iso drives or jump shots. But basketball is a team game, and the defense's job is to assess threats both on and off the ball. And in this case, the threat of Brimah opens space for Hamilton to be an All-American caliber player.

So while his return may not be statistically huge for himself as an individual, it has had a profound statistical impact on the efficiency of our best all-around player.

EDIT: That SOB @OkaForPrez beat me by less than a minute...

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Dream season had it from very early on all the way to CL.
In 99 I had it all year.
In 04 I had it out of the gate, lost it mid season (back issues, Gordon hot/cold), had it the rest of the way.
In 06 I had it, but lost it very early (always thought that team lacked an intangible - chemistry?).
In 09 I had it from starter pistol to Michigan State.
In 11 I had it in Maui, lost it mid season (foolishly believing Kemba was not "that guy"), then got it back when JL started hitting the floater like Popeye hits Bluto, and MM decided to go epic thread on our asses, and had it big time the rest of the way. Would have bet 100 grand on beating Butler, were I a gambler.
In 14 I had the nascent rumblings of it for much of the year, but it did not galvanize until Giffey got the starting role, then I had it the rest of the way.

Got that feeling perking up inside. Not quite there yet, but definitely forming. I think the genesis was the coalescence of the return of Amida, the greater role of Adams, the reassignment of Purvis, and the exit from the funk of this year's Moses, who seems to have been reborn.

Played More than a Feeling at the bar whilst prepping this morning to celebrate the fact that, unlike a mere month ago, I am now anxiously looking forward to each game.

Finally, the difference between the height of the current high and the low I felt a month ago is easily the greatest delta I have experienced as a UConn fan, when we had threads by 10,000 post posters questioning our Coach's ability (me and most others echoing the query).

Maybe Ollie is a basketball genius. Maybe not. Either way, I'm super excited about the home stretch.

So basically you can predict every season. Amazing sh_t. ;)

I don't have it yet with this team for one reason: we do not have an ELITE player. We've got a lot of good players, but I don't see a Bazz, Kemba, Okafor, Rip, etc

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think we all knew from the start of the year that we had the talent capable of doing big things but the season was really contingent on how well they could learn to play together. AB being out six weeks certainly stunted that growth, but now we're seeing more and more what these guys can do together. If they continue to play elite D, DHam continues to increase his level of play to where we know he should be playing and Jalen keeps progressing as he has - watch out.

I too am a delusional optimist like @KingOPancakes, but they really do have the right mix of heart, talent, experience and leadership to do something special.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I think we all knew from the start of the year that we had the talent capable of doing big things but the season was really contingent on how well they could learn to play together. AB being out six weeks certainly stunted that growth, but now we're seeing more and more what these guys can do together.

I'm of the opinion that it helped this team. Perimeter guys had to learn to play and buckle down on D with no 'eraser' in the paint. It forced perfection, so to speak. Now with Brimah back, they appear to be keeping it up, and the big fella's presence will only add to that stifling D.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Makers post was superhero visionary stuff and I defy anyone to find a better post about anything, anywhere. Wonder if he lives?

He definitely lives, and he's definitely made another appearance or two on the Yard in a different iteration.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
What I have is the absence of disbelief. Some years I can tell we don't have it.

Blowing out Memphis on the road after losing the first half isn't nothing. It's an indication of potential. Now if I start seeing them close out close games against better teams, I may get the itch. The field is wide open. Nobody is fantastic this year, and defense could again win a championship...if it is married with close-out offense/critical buckets when needed and solid FT shooting (which we've had). Right now, those clutch buckets in winning time are all that is missing from the formula. I suspect it will need to be shared this year, Gibbs outside and Adams getting to the hoop, rather than Bazz or Kemba doing both of those things.

Reaction Score
Totally agree @intlzncster. Losing AB was absolutely addition by subtraction in this case, regardless of how painful it was for those six weeks. Besides helping them learn to play better D, I think AB's presence/excitement/enthusiasm on the sidelines helped these guys all better understand the concept of playing for their brothers.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
FWIW I went to Mardi Gras in NOLA during spring break in 2011. I'm back in NOLA for Mardi Gras right now.

#championship
Any sign of Senor T on Bourbon street?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member