Getting outplayed by a bad team is bad enough, but getting outhustled? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Getting outplayed by a bad team is bad enough, but getting outhustled?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I was shocked as well to read all the people that think St Johns is so bad. I was just watching inside college basketball on the CBS Sports Network and Jon Rothstein said he believes STJ is the 3rd most talented team in the Big East. Steve Lavin gets a bad reputation for some reason but the guy can recruit. It also seems like they won more games the last 2 and a half yrs under Lavin then they did during the entire Norm Roberts era.

Rothstein is making the classic mistake of confusing recruiting rankings for actual talent.

And if you think there were 100 UConn fans there tonight, MCNPA, you're just being dense. Or can't count. Maybe both.

St Johns playing harder than UConn doesn't make them not awful. . They are not mutually exclusive arguments.

Harrison was terrible. He made three field goals. He shot 3-for-12. Dont make it something it wasn't. The best all-around young player in the game was Omar Calhoun, by quite a bit. It's a shame Chris Obekpa chose to settle for less in his recruitment.

zls44

Reaction Score
It also seems like they won more games the last 2 and a half yrs under Lavin then they did during the entire Norm Roberts era.

That was thanks to the current coach of the Bobcats. Not Lavin.

Lavin is a great guy. Good recruiter. Friggin horrible coach. Ask anyone who watched UCLA.

Reaction Score
Rothstein is making the classic mistake of confusing recruiting rankings for actual talent.

And if you think there were 100 UConn fans there tonight, MCNPA, you're just being dense. Or can't count. Maybe both.

St Johns playing harder than UConn doesn't make them not awful. . They are not mutually exclusive arguments.

Harrison was terrible. He made three field goals. He shot 3-for-12. Dont make it something it wasn't. The best all-around young player in the game was Omar Calhoun, by quite a bit. It's a shame Chris Obekpa chose to settle for less in his recruitment.

Best all around young player was Jakarr Sampson by a mile. Not even close. Calhoun made a few threes and that's about it. Nice set shooterlike SJU's Bourgault. Can do zero else. SJU won without its entire backcourt, which is the bottom line. The entire SJU team is young including Obekpa, Pointer, Greene, Sampson, Harrison, Garrett and down the line. Not an upperclassman. Harrison had had about 4 bad games his entire career. This was one of them and SJU still won.

zls44

Reaction Score
Best all around young player was Jakarr Sampson by a mile. Not even close. Calhoun made a few threes and that's about it. Nice set shooterlike SJU's Bourgault. Can do zero else. SJU won without its entire backcourt, which is the bottom line. The entire SJU team is young including Obekpa, Pointer, Greene, Sampson, Harrison, Garrett and down the line. Not an upperclassman. Harrison had had about 4 bad games his entire career. This was one of them and SJU still won.

Jakarr Sampson is a forward.

He grabbed ONE (1) more rebound than Omar Calhoun, a shooting guard.

Calhoun also scored more points, from more locations on the floor. He scored from all over the place.

A few threes? He made five. That's as many as your entire team. Even Frenchy.

Lets see if Sampson can be as good as dropping twenty against Louisville like Calhoun did. I wish him the best. Every time he has gone against a decent physical team this year, he's looked out of place. It would also help if Harrison doesn't keep chucking the Johnnies right out of games like he did/tried to do against Georgetown (2x), Fordham, the first DePaul game, Notre Dame (that's five bad games THIS SEASON btw).

Reaction Score
Regardless, uconn should have lost by 30 tonight. Our Pg Branch was out with MCL sprain and Lavin pulled Harrison and SJU was still destroying uconn. He put Harrison back in for about 3 minutes and Harrison still killed uconn at the end. SJU doesn't even have a junior or senior on this roster except for one JC transfer. Uconn got beat by the 3rd through 8th man, all of whom were freshmen and sophs. I'd say it's promising.

You can call SJU irrelevant, but there were about 100 uconn fans there tonight. Uconn fans used to pack the place. It was all SJU fans and one section in the corner of uconn fans. I personally was disappointed with the turnout from Uconn both fan-wise and team. Im more disappointed that the loser of this game is calling the winner "awful".

We sat Napier to start the game and Boatright for much of the second half. Harrison shot 3-12. He did make two big baskets, but I think you need to do more than that before you rise to the level of "killing".

Your injured point guard averages 8 points and 2.5 assists. However did you pick up the pieces and carry on without him?

Seriously, though, You guys aren't all that bad - there's some reason for hope these days for you, to be honest. I personally don't think this nucleus is good enough to get you your second Final Four or your first-ever national title game appearance, but you can at least hope to get back in the dance again, which is progress.

zls44

Reaction Score
Dude's probably just excited his crap team got a decent scalp. Natural reaction to overreact to a big win like that.

Doesn't mean they don't have serious flaws.

Reaction Score

Relax dopie, UConn played as bad as they absolutely could no matter who the duckk was and wasn't playing the game for you. Your guys made everything early and then looked like the team we expected, handed it back to us. Sampson by a mile? Funny , nice player for sure, punk for sure. Fouled out 5X over the last 12 minutes but somehow none were called. Very active and aggressive on offense almost nothing on defense but a good player. Next level? Size could hurt a tweener without a great handle for a 2......but talented.

St Johns is as good as UConn and maybe better overall talent-wise for now. They should be as good and capable of winning......bring your PG in healthy in a different game and maybe UConn beats your ass by 20 because both teams are inconsistent at best..........Harrison has had about 40 bad games in his career so again you're an idiot. You get him making shots you're in trouble, but he shoots them out too and often. Promise you UConn is better yet again next year because we have someone who can actually coach!!

Reaction Score

How about I offer a shred of optimism here. Rather than waste any more of our collective time debating the status of a fly in the ointment program like The Stain, I would say that this game could have been just what the doctor ordered in terms of galvanizing both our coach and his players to FINALLY put a stop to this "going through the motions and then offering mea culpas to the media and fans" cycle that they are entrenched in.

I would like to see them, in anticipation of a very important home stand, go to the Hall and blow their doors off. Not necessarily a big margin of victory, but a solid win where they control the game from start to finish. That would set them up, mentally and emotionally, very nicely to welcome, the Cuse,Nova and Cincinnati. I have no problem visualising four straight wins which would be a huge boost for us and a nice dent in the tournament armor for our opponents.

This team needs to stop telling us 21 games in that "they're working to figure it out(Giffey" or any other variety of "we know what has to be done". It is way old. Put your money where your mouth is guys and keep it there for the rest of the season!!!

GO HUSKIES!!! BEAT THE PIRATES!!!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
St. Johns is 7-4 in the #3 RPI conference. According to Z, all but about 50 teams in the country must suck.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
You don't matter. You've never mattered outside of six minutes in 1985 and 1999. And you never will again. Losing to you has always, and will always be, a tremendously embarrassing result for this program.
I was at the game, and by the end the student section was chanting UCONN SUCKS and I was sitting there feeling bad for them....like, beating a depleted UConn team during a throwaway year is a signature win for them this year. It was a source of some pride for them, evidently.

But hey, gotta jump at the one chance you get to beat on UConn while they're down. I hope it made them feel better about themselves that night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom