Get used to seeing this article | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Get used to seeing this article

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hearing Ollie speak, I do not think there is any chance that he leaves UCONN. He will be here as Jim was here. I think to him it is more than money. It is giving back to the place that gave him so much. It is just the feeling I get when I hear him speak. How passionate here it's about UCONN.
Agreed. I get the distinct impression from Ollie that this is more than just a JOB. I think, based on where he came from, and the career he had, that he feels like he owes a significant debt of gratitude to UConn. And I don't mean like "I owe them" kind of debt, just a heartfelt, "This university has meant everything to my life". I really don't see him wanting to leave.

Reaction Score
As long as Warde sees these articles is all that matters.

Reaction Score
I am betting that Ollie is not leaving because he genuinely is about building good young men. He wouldn't get the same satisfaction from managing pros. He is too spiritual to chase unneeded money or court fame. Look at the man Olander is after his mistakes. KO worries about teaching humility, it would have been so easy for either coach our player to quit on the other. Omar rides the pine patiently. Kids cheer and wait for table scrap minutes. Ten toes in. NBA prima donnas can't give the same reward.

Reaction Score
There is no coaching in the NBA, just managing. Coaches who go to the NBA are primarily chasing the money. College affords coaches a chance to really teach the game and influence lives. The NBA isn't for everyone.

All very true. However, KO did spend 13 years in the NBA, so he does have that connection. Many successful NCAA coaches never played for any duration of time in the NBA. Most usually went right into coaching or spent a year or two in the NBA and realized they could not last. Ollie spent 13 long years there and he has ties to the NBA. That reason alone make me think if the NBA ever does calling, I'm sure he will listen.

Lets enjoy him while we have him. Hopefully he can give us many memorable years. Who knows, maybe he stays for 20+ years or maybe he goes to the NBA. Lets talk about that when it happens...not now.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
One other thing that is related and sort of alluded to has to do with development of players and young men. I get the feeling that KO not only loves coaching the kids, but teaching, mentoring, and developing them as well. The relationship he has with them is far different than the one that a HC in the NBA has with his players. How many times in the NBA have we heard about a coach who can't really get his players to do what they want? If the player has a big enough name on his jersey, he can run the coach out of town. If the HC endures a couple of crap seasons, he's fired. Neither the Squid nor Pitino were successful in their HC gigs in the NBA.

Ollie is a teacher and a motivator and all the things he loves doing with regards to developing the kids simply won't work in the NBA. Those guys won't work as hard nor will they accept the same kind of coaching Ollie currently employs with his "kids". There are only a few teams in the NBA that play any kind of team basketball and even fewer who really take pride in their defense. And there is way less stability in the NBA for a HC. It's not like they'd want him for a team that is already doing great. They'd want them on a crap team like LA or Philly. I just don't see it. I guess never say never, but I think we will have KO for a good long time...

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
reading the author's twitter now, he's talking money to buy out his UConn contract and that he would rather have Ollie than Izzo. Also saying he would be a big chip to have in hand to go after Durant when he's a free agent.

They could offer 5-10 X the salary and a chance to return home. KO stays!

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Look, as KO says, appreciate your position but plan your promotion. I think he wants to accomplish something at UConn, but when he does, he may look for a greater challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom