Get Geno More Help | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Get Geno More Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
I have never complained before. I’ve watched for 40 yrs and know I’m not now as focused as I was when younger and Geno isn’t either. No disrespect just an observation of a great coach’s work load that might be changing.
Think positively but with reality.
As you said, "I am not as focused as I was", but, it is good to see you can analyze the coaching staff, and their ability to focus. Why don't we enjoy this great team and let the coaches do their job.

Reaction Score
As you said, "I am not as focused as I was", but, it is good to see you can analyze the coaching staff, and their ability to focus. Why don't we enjoy this great team and let the coaches do their job.

Have a good day, I will watch these women until I’m gone. This is just a wonderful team. Please no more rhetoric. Let’s concentrate on next year.

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
It’s interesting how blind some people are.
Have a good day, I will watch these women until I’m gone. This is just a wonderful team. Please no more rhetoric. Let’s concentrate on next year.
That's the spirit.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That’s a positive not a negative oldude
Conversation is good. But doesn’t have to be all the time.
Absolutely agree. In general, I think it’s great that fans from other schools and casual posters show up around tournament time every year, just like the azaleas in my garden. But what I do find odd over the past several years is that a number of these folks, who we haven’t heard from all year, show up on the BY to take shots at the HC, the players and the team after they are eliminated in the tournament…..

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
Absolutely agree. In general, I think it’s great that fans from other schools and casual posters show up around tournament time every year, just like the azaleas in my garden. But what I do find odd over the past several years is that a number of these folks, who we haven’t heard from all year, show up on the BY to take shots at the HC, the players and the team after they are eliminated in the tournament…..
Azaleas, North Carolina? You can please some of the people, some of the time, but, you can't please all of the people, all of the time.

Reaction Score
It’s interesting how blind some people are.
I'm concentrating as hard as I can. My wife is giving me strange looks and saying stuff like, "What the heck are you staring at?" or "If you keep making that face, it'll get stuck."

Reaction Score
HopJim, why don't you come out and say it? GA should be fired. he should be asked to retire. he is no longer a coach for the future ... (Take your pick). After all, he has an assoc., 2 assistants, and a grad asst. (not to mention numerous free advises that are ready on demand). More help would mean (as you are intimating) that the job has become more than he (individually) and his current 3 helpers (collectively) can handle. Perhaps you are onto something. As I have not (yest) blamed him for the last 2-years of injuries to this and that player, he has earned a pass from me. Now, if you think the other coaches/teams have left us behind because of their willingness to incorporate AI features in game planning-- while we are resisting, based on some old fashion notion about bb IQ, then count me in as a possible flame-thrower.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
We've lost two great coaching talents to BU/Wisconsin and Vanderbilt.
It's part of the process. The talented assistant coaches leave to seek head coaching positions.

Reaction Score
Geno is not the same,
He doesn’t seem as committed and coaching the pressbreaking in this game was clearly not his usual standards. They looked lost.
I hope it's just been the loss of his Mom and the strain of the injuries, etc. But I agree he's seemed both detached and physically worn. I hope a restful spring/summer, lots of golf (and good food!) will be enough to get his batteries recharged.

Reaction Score
Breaking a press does not require new coaching staff. It requires a shift in style of play and it requires teamwork. If you saw the men’s game last night or saw Virginia play Tennessee in the women’s game, you saw there were two people who were responsible for taking care of the ball. These two moved with speed and had two others waiting to receive the ball. If you do this for every possession and make it a habit, the likelihood of getting beaten by a press becomes very low.

Looking ahead to next year, we will have Paige and KK to add to the list of ball handlers. I don’t see us having this problem next year.

Are you saying that UConn didn't have 2 ball handlers who could take care of the ball? Among Nika,Lou, and Azzi? They could have , and should have, but for some reason it looked like there was no plan in place. I assume they looked carefully at the OSU,NC game, and saw that press. Panic ensued, no in-game adjustment was made( was a time-out even called?), and they turned the ball over 8 straight possessions. UConn went 5 minutes WITHOUT TAKING A SHOT!! That had to be a record in futility. It's so easy to just blame the players for not executing , especially here, where Geno can do little, if any wrong.I didn't see a plan of attack from those coaches, nor a shift in style of play. I honestly think the players were let down, and they're the ones suffering most right now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Isn’t it a least a possibility that Geno and staff had a good game plan and our team just didn’t execute it?
In interviews BEFORE and AFTER the game, Players said The Coaches have/had a good game plan and plan to handle the press.."

Reaction Score
Similar to the top coaches at the top programs (ex. Saben bringing in new offensive coordinators at Alabama), would love to see Geno bring new blood into his Assistant Coach family. Jamelle Elliott's (113-162) and Morgan Valley's (4-37) past coaching records do not fill me with confidence that when a new scheme or game plan is needed, or one needs to be adjusted on the fly, that they are the best candidates to get it done. Both are good motivators and bring energy to the game, but candidly, so do many coaches. The most effective coaches usually want more, not less, feedback and would love to see Geno try to find that extra play, that critical in game adjustment next year to get us the Championship. While Geno makes the final decisions, getting him more help can't be a bad thing.
Oh OK blame it on Morgan and Jamelle that they didn't get to the final four this year. What about last year when they helped UConn get to the NC game and year before last getting deep to the final four. The only help Geno needs is to get more bigs that can be trusted in his system

Reaction Score
That’s a positive not a negative oldude
Conversation is good. But doesn’t have to be all the time.
I agree! I’ve been on The Boneyard and its previous iterations well before Diana’s freshman meltdown against ND. I can still remember the morning after that game on the BY, but I digress.

With only a smattering of posts myself but a constant lurker we still have valid insights and opinions even if we’re not posting all the time.

Food for thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog