Georgia Tech to B10 (rumor) | The Boneyard

Georgia Tech to B10 (rumor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Reaction Score
Opening one up most likely. If they can't get ND, UVa, or UNC wouldn't we be the logical candidate to join them in the B1G? And if they are the only departure we would be the logical candidate to join the ACC.

Reaction Score
dont we need to border a Big 10 state? GTech doesnt either.
I think the only exception they would make, would be Texas.

Reaction Score
I think we have learned that there is no rhyme or reason to who is chosen for expansion and it is mostly a bunch of political BS. Yes football success and markets matter, but if the B10 wants GTech or UVA it goes against that theory. They are both second rate programs in their states (UGA/VTech) and will not bring a huge market for TV. If academics mattered the B10 would not have taken Nebraska and the ACC would not have taken UL. At this point who knows who will be taken in further expansion and I just hope UConn is involved.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
On the women's board, icebear, who lives near Penn State and who has some connections there, said he heard GA Tech and Kansas to the Big 10 by January 1. Take it FWIW.

Reaction Score
On the women's board, icebear, who lives near Penn State and who has some connections there, said he heard GA Tech and Kansas to the Big 10 by January 1. Take it FWIW.

Which if it has any shred of truth - answers "why Louisville" (ACC predicting future Big12 opening).

Reaction Score
None of this makes any sense. Why would the Big 10 want G Tech and Kansas? G Tech is very mediocre in sports, I guess it's a good market but University of Georgia is much bigger in their own state, not sure why Big 10 would want to go that far south. Kansas is really good in bball but stinks in football and has a very small media market. I'm convinced all the people in charge are idiots.

Reaction Score
connecticut-county-map.gif
Kansas makes sense - fits the Big 10 profile. Lawrence may be a small market, but I'm sure there are lots of Jayhawks in Kansas City, so they can feel like they are picking up that market.

Plus, as I posted before, Kansas ranks very high in border smoothness, which is something we lack due to the little nook that Massachusetts stole from our northern border. We need that back. They can overlook our maritime border to the south, but we need to be nookless in the north.

Reaction Score
connecticut-county-map.gif
Kansas makes sense - fits the Big 10 profile. Lawrence may be a small market, but I'm sure there are lots of Jayhawks in Kansas City, so they can feel like they are picking up that market.

Plus, as I posted before, Kansas ranks very high in border smoothness, which is something we lack due to the little nook that Massachusetts stole from our northern border. We need that back. They can overlook our maritime border to the south, but we need to be nookless in the north.

The Boneyard is already annexing Rhode Island and I-287 through Westchester County. Do we have enough leadership to fight a war on a third front and sent troop to the Suffield/Granby area as well?

pj

Reaction Score
The Boneyard is already annexing Rhode Island and I-287 through Westchester County. Do we have enough leadership to fight a war on a third front and sent troop to the Suffield/Granby area as well?

If we annex Rhode Island and Westchester County, we're almost guaranteed a B1G invitation. Not only does our state market start to rival Virgina and UNC (who share larger states with other state schools), we also cut off Syracuse from New York City -- they'd no longer be contiguous to the New York market.

Southwick MA doesn't add much but it probably wouldn't require much to take. HuskyfanDan could do it, after drinking.

Reaction Score
If we annex Rhode Island and Westchester County, we're almost guaranteed a B1G invitation. Not only does our state market start to rival Virgina and UNC (who share larger states with other state schools), we also cut off Syracuse from New York City -- they'd no longer be contiguous to the New York market.

Southwick MA doesn't add much but it probably wouldn't require much to take. HuskyfanDan could do it, after drinking.

We need to be clear that we are only annexing I-287 through Westchester -- not the whole county. If we took the whole county, I'd have to waste time on the cesspool listening to how no one can afford Scarsdale's property taxes.

Reaction Score
After the new TV deal I don't think Kansas or any other member would leave the Big 12 or they'll be screwed.

The deal includes a "grant of rights" agreement, meaning if a Big 12 school leaves for another league in the next 13 years, that school's media rights, including revenue, would remain with the Big 12 and not its new conference.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score

No need for HFD's drunken ranting here- we can retake the nook through diplomatic channels by sending in Rebecca Lobo...

Reaction Score
No need for HFD's drunken ranting here- we can retake the nook through diplomatic channels by sending in Rebecca Lobo...
As long as we get The Ranch, although their rates would probably double.

Reaction Score
Do we have enough leadership to fight a war on a third front and sent troop to the Suffield/Granby area as well?

I got this, its my home town. I might have to stop just short though i need to keep the package store i like in Mass

Reaction Score
None of this makes any sense. Why would the Big 10 want G Tech and Kansas? G Tech is very mediocre in sports, I guess it's a good market but University of Georgia is much bigger in their own state, not sure why Big 10 would want to go that far south. Kansas is really good in bball but stinks in football and has a very small media market. I'm convinced all the people in charge are idiots.
I agree that GT to the Big 10 doesn't make any sense other than trying to grab the Atlanta market. However, to say GT is "very mediocre" in sports is simply not true. Granted their mens' bball team hasn't been too good the last few years, but they have had some great teams not that long ago. Remember who we beat in the 2004 championship game? Their football team has a long storied history although not as great as Georgia's. Their womens bball team is very good, just below Duke and UNC most seasons in the ACC. Their baseball teams have been very successful and they have many major leaguers among their alumni (Nomar, Jason Varitek, etc.). Their golf teams are great every year, and most years their mens tennis team is right up there too. To call their sports programs mediocre is simply not true.

Reaction Score
"very mediocre" might be a bit strong, but he isn't that far off. They were relevant 15-20 years ago under O'Leary and Cremins, but they've had one really good year in hoops under Hewitt since. Last was the first year they won more than 1 game in the NCAA Women's tournament, so calling them very good is a stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom