Georgia Tech to B10 (rumor) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Georgia Tech to B10 (rumor)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
@FOXSportsOH
Unconfirmed, obviously - A CBS outlet in Washington, DC is reporting that Virginia and Georgia Tech will leave the ACC, join Big Ten

Reaction Score
The Rent looked mostly filled at the start of the game (empty by the end). Looks the lower deck at the ACC championship and a bit of the upper deck at the 50 yard line and that is it. Why is the ACC football championship in Charlotte anyway? It should be Miami, Tampa, or Orlando?

Reaction Score
Lucas Oil looks pretty filled for the BIG championship except for the upper deck above each end zone. The SEC title game was packed (no surprise considering the ranks of the two teams and as it was in Atlanta, which is not that far from Tuscaloosa either).

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
If he gives any other answer, he has to send Swofford 50 large to go into escrow.

fact and i think another thing most ppl dont understand as to why when ppl talk its for a reason.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
A lower profile wvu insider says Delaney is focused on northeast, not Atlanta. Says GTech will not be added.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
A lower profile wvu insider says Delaney is focused on northeast, not Atlanta. Says GTech will not be added.

Are you and Waylon Smithers the same person?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The GT idea sounds a bit out of character from what the B1G had been using as their strategy but if they've decided to alter their approach it could be plausible.

Their stance on the BTN had been to have it required as a basic channel, giving the B1G revenues for every household that has cable (Cablevision, Comcast, Time Warner, etc), telephone company fiber optic or similar (FIOS, U-Verse, etc.) or sattelite (DirecTV, Dish) while a pay tier would only give revenue for households purchasing that tier. By having a school located in an area (state) where enough of the population would demand the BTN (for the local school) on basic, this would assure the B1G basic access and therefore highest revenue. I don't see how GT can carry enough of Georgia to get the BTN placed on basic.

The B1G is either softening their stance or they have something else in mind. I still believe that this is a shot to the bow to convince one or both of UVA & UNC to leave the ACC before the ACC starts sinking and the B1G as a lifeboat has sailed. It could be someone (B-12?) trying to rattle some cages to strike at the better football assets (who to date hadn't been willing to jump from the ACC to the B-12).

I personally believe that with a better hire when Edsall left for UMD, we would have been at worst a tossup with Rutgers for the B1G and (if they did choose Rutty) that we would currently be deciding if the ACC would be a better move than waiting for when the B1G expanded further. I also believe that at the moment we are still on the B1G's radar, but nowhere near as high as we could or should be. My gut tells me that UVA is their prime next target and if they can get UVA & UNC as a package, they'll stop at sixteen for a while. I also believe however that if they get UVA but cannot get UNC, we will be in play (very seriously in play). One additional possibility (that I don't yet see as plausible as I still don't see the financial benefit to eighteen members but I have been wrong before) is that the B1G adds UVA, UNC, Ga Tech (and for the record, sw North Carolina borders northern Georgia) and UConn.

Reaction Score
The Rent looked mostly filled at the start of the game (empty by the end). Looks the lower deck at the ACC championship and a bit of the upper deck at the 50 yard line and that is it. Why is the ACC football championship in Charlotte anyway? It should be Miami, Tampa, or Orlando?

Didnt they have it in Tampa and no one showed up?
Charlotte is closer to the majority of schools.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
If 18 is the B1G's ultimate number, and assuming ND and Texas won't join, I think the B1G takes at least 2 of UNC/UVA/GTCH, and 1-2 from CONNECTICUT, cuse and bcu.

Despite not being a public land grant or AAU, I still worry about the ghost of GeneD., especially if they take only one more Northeast market.

What are the respective cable subscription dynamics of the B1G Network for CT vs. Boston vs. Upstate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom