Georgia State Post Game Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Georgia State Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
our athletes are simply not it. i vote to stop celebrating any of the recruit commitment announcements, until we see something on the field the following year. No more "welcome to the pound", blah blah blah.

Waiting for Cole Welliver to de-commit and go somewhere real.
Maybe we need the athletes that Holy Cross does who put up 28 pts or URI to put up 35 last week or UNH who put up 42.

Reaction Score
Fagnano should not see the field again. I was a big fan of him coming here bur that 1st half was bad.
Offense was offensive. Cant take it. We sre not good
I've been following and rooting for UConn FB since 1969. I swear, the games as a 1-aa team were much more exciting and competitive. I was excited to see UConn make an attempt to upgrade schedule and excitement when they announced they were going 1-a. After all these years, the problem in my mind, is we expect players with 1-aa skills to be competitive at a 1-a level of play. Also, just because a coach may have been successful at the 1-aa level does not guarantee success at the 1-a level. We may not be competent in getting either players and/or coaches with skills that can successfully compete at the 1-a level.

Reaction Score
There should be no question after this game. It’s very telling that GSUs defensive game plan was clearly to stack the box and make Fagnano beat them through the air and he couldn’t make anything happen. GSU did not respect Fagnano as a passer one bit and they were right unfortunately.
I would suggest it’s worse than that. They don’t respect our OC either. They knew exactly what this clown would do because he is in love with edge and throwing and running laterally is about all he does. He won’t stretch the field, doesn’t use his TEs in play action and rolls over into a stupid run if it’s long yardage. The guy is an utter fool that is so behaviorally predictable he will get schooled all season by DCs all season. Good lord what a total failure and it’s been conveniently excused away with a pass because we had a true freshman he could lay it on. With his own guy he’s just as bad if not worse.

Reaction Score
Obviously still a lot of season left to play, so things can change but Mora missing on both his DC and OC is not a good look.
Was Charlton Moras hire or Benedict’s? Wondered how West Coast NFL Jim fell in love with a BC student manager who somehow became Maine HC

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't want to overreact to one bad loss, but that was a bad freaking loss.

My biggest issue is that it seems at times like players are jogging during plays. That is a huge red flag. I have no solutions, and I don't know what firing one coach will do. I am concerned that this is a bigger problem than just the play calling.

Reaction Score
I don't want to overreact to one bad loss, but that was a bad freaking loss.

My biggest issue is that it seems at times like players are jogging during plays. That is a huge red flag. I have no solutions, and I don't know what firing one coach will do. I am concerned that this is a bigger problem than just the play calling.
it's real weird that everyone seemed 100% bought in last year and the effort was the best it had been in a decade, and now the energy seems to have fallen off a cliff.

Reaction Score
Plenty of blame to go around. The lack of effort was the most disappointing aspect of the game for me. My 9 year old daughter asked me why the UCONN players weren't running after the other team's QB when he broke the long touchdown run. She's maybe watched 15 min of football in her entire life, and that was her one comment about the game today. The lack of effort was that obvious. I think the lack of effort is also a big part of our tackling woes. There needs to be a desire to hit the other guy and drag him to the ground. I'm just not seeing the effort and desire.
A few painfully obvious things about our D. We don't protect the edge on D... we let QBs run on us all day long....leaky defense run support up the middle... the passive cushion coverage at the LOS (instead of press coverage)...keeps us way too reactive than proactive. Couple that with unproductive offense (not putting up any points...not even a FG) = concerning issues

Reaction Score
I really miss Pindell and Lashlee. There's some hope Roberson can approach what Pindell brought to the offense but without a Lashlee type how do any of them get there? Hate to beat it into the ground but holy moly we miss Guidone in the middle. The middle got blown up multiple times and our C needed a GPS to figure out who to block downfield. The most fun part of an OL's existence running downfield to hit a little guy :(

There's work to do by a lot of guys but the biggest issue for me on offense was playing scared and on defense forgetting how we got burned last week. We weren't just outplayed we were outcoached. It's a bad sign imo.

And we lost time by not starting Roberson if he was healthy. That can't go over well with him or his teammates. Hopefully Joe recovers quickly and the team can regroup and move forward. And the coaches make the required changes that give the guys some confidence and a chance to play like winners instead of just grinders hoping to gut one out.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
it's real weird that everyone seemed 100% bought in last year and the effort was the best it had been in a decade, and now the energy seems to have fallen off a cliff.

I have been watching the UMass/Miami (OH) game on and off tonight. UMass sucks, has no talent, and has no hope of getting any talent. They are going to lose tonight, because they suck, and they are still playing at midnight, after like a 4 hour weather delay or something, on a soggy field in Amherst in front of about 12 people, most of whom are looking at their cell phones (the camera keeps inexplicably panning to the crowd).

They are going to lose tonight, but they are still playing hard. They suck, but they have energy. That is coaching.

Reaction Score
This is conspiracy theory stuff.

Fagnano is more accurate and less turnover prone. Roberson is faster, more electric, and more likely to make the big play.

They chose the safe, ball control option because they thought our margin of error was too small to survive turnovers.

I’m not defending that decision - just trying to see their reasoning instead of our ghosts.
Three and out is a turnover.

Reaction Score
Two weeks ago Mora had a press conference and was proud the guys didn't have one fight in practice. The same time Prime was doing a press conference and was proud of his guys fighting in practice because it showed their passion and fight. I thought at the time how one of them had to be dead wrong. Guess we found out which one it was and it shows on the field.

Reaction Score
Whatever the schemes are on offense and defense they just aren't working. Sure seemed like lot of untimely holding penalties.
What do you change, if I knew wouldn't be here typing on the BY.

Reaction Score
I've been following and rooting for UConn FB since 1969. I swear, the games as a 1-aa team were much more exciting and competitive. I was excited to see UConn make an attempt to upgrade schedule and excitement when they announced they were going 1-a. After all these years, the problem in my mind, is we expect players with 1-aa skills to be competitive at a 1-a level of play. Also, just because a coach may have been successful at the 1-aa level does not guarantee success at the 1-a level. We may not be competent in getting either players and/or coaches with skills that can successfully compete at the 1-a level.
We played Georgia state not Georgia or even GT.

Reaction Score
A few painfully obvious things about our D. We don't protect the edge on D... we let QBs run on us all day long....leaky defense run support up the middle... the passive cushion coverage at the LOS (instead of press coverage)...keeps us way too reactive than proactive. Couple that with unproductive offense (not putting up any points...not even a FG) = concerning issues
Defense is things that they can clean up. The fact rushing QBs burn UConn is a technique issue. They need LBs to be better. I think long term D and scheme are fine. Mora can run a defense .

As far as offense. I don’t know what that was.

I don’t like to whine about play call too much, mostly it doesn’t matter.

But, what was that tonight? Way too many running plays, and they kept on trying to get their running backs on the perimeter. Just run downhill on the right side between the tackles.

The pass needed to set up the run. But, instead, UConn was content to just slam it in the line that was stacked and there was no Attempt at deception.

Also. Tempo is way too slow for the offense. UConn is a running team, but you can’t forgo the forward pass.

Reaction Score
Now they catch the ball. If I were Jim Mora and I'm still the head coach of UConn I fire the WR coach and I recruit heavily for WR's.
Was the wide receiver coach responsible for giving Fagnano the job?

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Maybe Mora should use some kind of QB spy/shadow that killed us again for 145 yards including a 65 yard run.
Investing in comfort by the OC rather than the most talented player at QB, is a major miscue.
This guy doesn’t have a good enough system that we should give a premium to someone familar with it.
Lmao the worst part is the system he has for “his guy” looks terrible! He needs to be fired tomorrow.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
The pass needed to set up the run. But, instead, UConn was content to just slam it in the line that was stacked and there was no Attempt at deception.
It's not even that. It's that the OC needs to adjust to what he's seeing. GA ST was stacking the box, so Charlton should have let Fagnano throw the ball. But instead it was first down run after first down run into 8 or 9 defenders for the whole first half.

It was clear halfway through the first quarter that GA St was daring us to throw. Charlton/Mora simply refused to take that risk. Add in a muffed punt and some iffy penalties and the thing was out of our reach by half.

If we had adjusted to what the defense was giving us, who knows how that first half could have played out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom