OT: - Georgetown Signs '20 wing Collin Holloway | The Boneyard

OT: Georgetown Signs '20 wing Collin Holloway

Reaction Score
Holloway is their 2nd straight commit who is not ranked on 247, and even more surprising, Holloway doesn't even have a profile on the website.

Holloway had offers from Texas State and McNeese State, while other unranked prospect, TJ Berger, had offers from Ivy, CAA, NEC, Patriot, MAAC and A-Sun teams.

Between 2017-2019 recruits, 8 out of 13 have transferred.

What the heck is happening to recruiting/retention in Georgetown?

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Their base didn’t even know who the kid was.

Reaction Score
Holloway is their 2nd straight commit who is not ranked on 247, and even more surprising, Holloway doesn't even have a profile on the website.

Holloway had offers from Texas State and McNeese State, while other unranked prospect, TJ Berger, had offers from Ivy, CAA, NEC, Patriot, MAAC and A-Sun teams.

Between 2017-2019 recruits, 8 out of 13 have transferred.

What the heck is happening to recruiting/retention in Georgetown?

He went to an Edsall seminar.

Reaction Score
These experiments with hiring former players to be head coaches just don't work. How long do you think Penny will last at Memphis, or Howard at Michigan?

Reaction Score
These experiments with hiring former players to be head coaches just don't work. How long do you think Penny will last at Memphis, or Howard at Michigan?
I think Howard has a real chance to stick. A lot more coaching experience than Penny or Ollie had prior to becoming head coach.

He also was an assistant for a pretty dang good coach in Spoelstra.

Reaction Score
Or how long will Dan Hurley be at UConn?

Irony aside, I agree, for the most part. Avery Johnson, Chris Mullin and Terry Porter are/were all hired to D1 programs without any NCAA experience. Dan Majerle is one example of someone who did quite a nice job.

Reaction Score
Or how long will Dan Hurley be at UConn?

Irony aside, I agree, for the most part. Avery Johnson, Chris Mullin and Terry Porter are/were all hired to D1 programs without any NCAA experience. Dan Majerle is one example of someone who did quite a nice job.

Yeah Majerle did a nice job for sure, what did happen at Grand Canyon for him to be shown the door?

Reaction Score
Yeah Majerle did a nice job for sure, what did happen at Grand Canyon for him to be shown the door?
Not sure, but that's been a messy divorce. Majerle is suing the school after his firing. I don't blame him: he built excitement around the program and they have some of the best crowds in college basketball. Their 2020 class is a top-60 class that includes three top-300 recruits and there have been no decommits after his firing and the program is in good shape.

I know GCU has major aspirations in athletics, but no matter how you slice it, they are currently a WAC school. Sure, New Mexico State is a good mid-major program but look around that conference and it's a wasteland.

Getting Bryce Drew to follow up Thunder Dan is quite impressive, though.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Let's hope this kid doesn't come to be a UConn killer - that has happened in the past
I strongly feel that if GTown let's Pat E do his thing, he will bring the program back up again.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Gavin Edwards HS coach went on record saying he couldn't play in the Big East.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Edwards' coach told me that Gavin was a DIII prospect and that he had no idea why UConn took him.
That was so long ago, I probably read it in one of your posts.

Reaction Score

I mean Penny just brought in the number 1 class in the country (before the NCAA/Kentucky screwed him), and he really didn’t do that bad of a job coaching wise given the circumstances. And Juwan Howard is bringing in the #1 class in the big ten this year after a pretty good first year. So probably not the best examples.

Better examples would be Danny Manning, Chris Mullen, and Jerry stackhouse (though it’s too early to tell on stackhouse). Though I would argue those hires were clearly not the best to start.

I honestly would rather have a former star as coach than some old, washed up coach with mediocre recent results. Tubby Smith comes to mind...

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Howard is going to be the exception. Everyone loves him, Beilein left him an incredible foundation, and he's done very well as a recruiter. Most of these former players thought recruits would line up for them, and they're learning the hard way that isn't happening.

Reaction Score
Stylistically the games changed so much that I think the “I was great and we play the same position” pitch, while somewhat effective, is prob overrated.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom