Georgetown Pre-Game Media (merged thread) | The Boneyard

Georgetown Pre-Game Media (merged thread)

Reaction Score
Geno talking about his time away and grief of losing his mother:

This really is remarkable. It's the clearest picture into what's Geno's about in balancing his personal and professional lives that I've read, a painfully honest, almost confessional.

There's a sense of guilt, there's love and there's dedication regarding both ends of his life, all of which combined with his illness, to apparently knock him for a loop in a way he couldn't immediately handle. For a guy who's used to being in charge, he wasn't, of circumstances, of his feelings, perhaps even of his own coaching ability.

We all deal with the loss of parents, in my case when I was much younger because they'd been 55 and 41, respectively, when I was born. I've been blessed ever since their passing knowing they're very much with me, in my heart and in how I try to live my life.

I hope Geno will be similarly blessed. I'm so glad I got to read this, that he shared. I will never quite think of Geno the same way again.

Find peace, Coach. RIP, Marsiella.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Tina Charles running drills with the team:

Ok, I’ll say it if no one else will. We’re all thinking the same thing. Since she’s there, and has been down the path that Amari is on, and has walked a mile in her shoes, if she could pull Amari aside and mentor or tutor her 1-on-1 while she’s there, it would greatly help and maybe hasten Amari’s growth and development this season. It couldn’t hurt.

Last edited:

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I read Geno's heartfelt words about his handling of the passing of his mom. I have to say he articulated the feelings surrounding such a traumatic loss about as well as anyone I have ever read or heard. It is hard living through such loss but even harder to be able to talk about it as clearly as he did. Everybody deals with loss in their own way but, sharing the experience with others can be helpful. God Bless the Auriemma family.

Reaction Score
Geno talking about his time away and grief of losing his mother:

Of all the remarkable quotes I have read/heard from Geno over the years, this is maybe the best and most relatable of all. Sometimes we see him as this coaching genius but in this moment he is just a man dealing with the loss of his mother whilst trying to give his all to everyone around him. I am so glad he is feeling better, and pray him and his family find peace.

Carnac

Reaction Score
This really is remarkable. It's the clearest picture into what's Geno's about in balancing his personal and professional lives that I've read, a painfully honest, almost confessional.

There's a sense of guilt, there's love and there's dedication regarding both ends of his life, all of which combined with his illness, to apparently knock him for a loop in a way he couldn't immediately handle. For a guy who's used to being in charge, he wasn't, of circumstances, of his feelings, perhaps even of his own coaching ability.

We all deal with the loss of parents, in my case when I was much younger because they'd been 55 and 41, respectively, when I was born. I've been blessed ever since their passing knowing they're very much with me, in my heart and in how I try to live my life.

I hope Geno will be similarly blessed. I'm so glad I got to read this, that he shared. I will never quite think of Geno the same way again.

Find peace, Coach. RIP, Marsiella.
Well said Deacon. I share your sentiments completely.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I have been down the road Geno just traveled. I know exactly what he is feeling.

Those feelings do not leave you, ever. They are the constant reminder of those we love who have gone before us. And it takes a while to come to grips with all of it.

After a while, you begin to realize your parents are still with. Many times I have felt my father's hand on my shoulder. Just like when I was a kid. The signs are always there with you.

All the best to Geno and his family. God is watching over you.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Only 8 on court but not surprised with Ducharme. She has just had too many concussions, neck issues, etc. to take a chance. If we can get her as a bench 3 point shooter for the last month I’ll take it. It’s too physical for her inside.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Ok, I’ll say it if no one else will. We’re all thinking the same thing. Since she’s there, and has been down the path that Amari is on, and has walked a mile in her shoes, if she could pull Amari aside and mentor or tutor her 1-on-1 while she’s there, it would greatly help and maybe hasten Amari’s growth and development this season. It couldn’t hurt.
A couple of months ago I said that I wish Tina or Steph could spend a few days with Amai, possibly showing her some of their moves, like Tinas hook shot. My wish came true, how about that. (I wonder if Geno put in a call to Tina and asked her just that)

Carnac

Reaction Score
A couple of months ago I said that I wish Tina or Steph could spend a few days with Amai, possibly showing her some of their moves, like Tinas hook shot. My wish came true, how about that. (I wonder if Geno put in a call to Tina and asked her just that)
I'd like to see Geno take it a step further and either have a former UConn post player come in during the summer and work with Amari every day for 2 weeks, or have a professional BIG man coach/trainer come in and work with her.

I think she would learn more from a professional trainer than a player because of a trainer's experience of working with numerous players like Amari that is at the place she is right now. They understand where she is, and where she needs to get to in the time frame they have to work with her...................whatever that time frame is.....a week, 2 weeks, a month. Then her position coach could take over from there.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I'd like to see Geno take it a step further and either have a former UConn post player come in during the summer and work with Amari every day for 2 weeks, or have a professional BIG man coach/trainer come in and work with her.

I think she would learn more from a professional trainer than a player because of a trainer's experience of working with numerous players like Amari that is at the place she is right now. They understand where she is, and where she needs to get to in the time frame they have to work with her...................whatever that time frame is.....a week, 2 weeks, a month. Then her position coach could take over from there.
Wonder if Napheesa's husband is available. Probably charges a lot.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Amari is still an enigma to me. Did UConn recruit her knowing she couldn't make it through a practice? Well that issue should have been over about this time last year. Is it over? She's a great kid and her teammates love her. When she does get in a game she has moments when she looks so skillful. Just running down the court she can look so fluidly athletic. I don't know why she is not contributing more, but I do know I'm still rooting for her to get there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom