Georgetown Pre-Game Media (merged thread) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Georgetown Pre-Game Media (merged thread)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Amari is a sophomore with limited playing time. She’s not the first Husky to be in this situation - learning how to make the jump from high school to college. Patience, guys.
Nan, I have the patience of Job. :) I'm not one who complains about her not getting enough playing time. I'm happy when she does.
If Geno does not play her, I understand there is a reason why.

Reaction Score
With the discussion of tutoring seeming to focus on Amari, I'm noy sure if the person who could benefit the most wouldn't be Ayanna. Amari has tools, but is neither quick nor physical. Whatever tutoring that takes place is dependent on what that player has to work with.

Looking at our other young bigs, Ice was coming to us as a fairly developed big as far as her offensive game was concerned. She has a number of go to low post moves, plays under control and adds a mid-range jumper to the mix. Ayanna is the better pure athlete by far, but has relied on her athletic ability alone to score inside. She didn't need to worry about creating space, having go to and counter moves, using hesitation etc., she just gets the ball goes up and frequently at this level gets blocked.

What worked in HS doesn't here, she needs to expand her game and play more under control. Everything seems rushed and sometimes she is out of control. Having said those things, I think she more than anyone would benefit from a good post tutor. Amari could too, but her tools and abilities are different, and Ayanna is so raw and yet with so much potential, that I think working with a talented big would help her even more than Amari.

Reaction Score

I love this kid because of her intensity and scrappy play that reminds me of my favorite Husky Jen Rizzotti, but I particularly love watching her in interviews, because she never gives "canned" responses. She actually listens to the question and responds accordingly. She actually has short conversations with the media people and says what she really thinks. It's so refreshing compared to the majority of college players, who sound like they're giving pre-programmed responses.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I love this kid because of her intensity and scrappy play that reminds me of my favorite Husky Jen Rizzotti, but I particularly love watching her in interviews, because she never gives "canned" responses. She actually listens to the question and responds accordingly. She actually has short conversations with the media people and says what she really thinks. It's so refreshing compared to the majority of college players, who sound like they're giving pre-programmed responses.

Agreed! Nika is very emotional and has a great smile.

Reaction Score
I love it when Nika is one of the interviews as well. She is always at ease and, as you said, responds to each question in a very open and honest way. She is like an open book, nothing guarded or pat in her responses. The reporters, I would guess enjoy interviewing her as well.

Other than a slight accent and the occasional query as to the meaning of a phrase she is unfamiliar with, you really wouldn't know English is not her native language. Her level of fluency is such that she is 'thinking in English' as there is no perceptible time lapse between question and response where she is translating in her head.

Once again apparent from her responses, she obviously loves and respects Geno. I believe that is reciprocal, even though she may at times continue to drive him crazy. I think being coached by him was a key factor in her choosing to come to Uconn. So happy she is here. Love watching her play and truly enjoy hearing her interviews.

Reaction Score
As I said in another thread, because I didn't see the growth and development I expected to see in Amari her sophomore year (that sophomore leap), I think that perhaps a different approach is in order. Time to bring in a professional "post-player" trainer this summer to work with her 1-on-1. Whatever they did this past summer did not work.

The session should be for at least 2 weeks (or longer.....maybe a month?). An experienced professional knows how to bring Amari up to speed and develop the skills she needs to be productive, which would allow her to elevate herself and her game into the 5-7 player rotation for next year.

There will be an opening. Dorka leaves after this year. Isuneh "Ice" Brady will be a red-shirt freshman, and Jana El-Alfie will be a true freshman. Neither of whom will have played one second of WCBB come that first game in November. Geno could really use an experienced post player next year. I don't see him trying to bring one in from the portal.

Amari will be the only returning post player with any prior experience. It was reported that Amari had some serious stamina challenges last year. It was said that at times she had difficulty finishing practice. Those challenges also need to be addressed over the summer months to ensure they ARE NOT an issue next season. UConn's strength and conditioning coach can fix that. Geno recruited her. He signed her. He owes it to her to invest in her and do everything he can to aid in her growth and development during her 4 years here.
Agree with most of your assessments regarding DeBerry, her potential and UConn's needs. Would suggest a sports psychologist as well as a trainer. Amari appears hesitant to initiate or take contact, not a good tendency if you are 6'5" and play the post. Unlike Patterson, who needs to learn to play under control, Amari needs to take her regulator off and play physically, fully using her gifts.

Reaction Score
Totally agree with the Nika comments. She is just a very very special young lady. Her smile, as mentioned, is wonderful...expresses so much.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Totally agree with the Nika comments. She is just a very very special young lady. Her smile, as mentioned, is wonderful...expresses so much.
She has two types of smiles, one she gives when being interviewed and the other when she is harassing an opponent. The second one is more frightening than the first. (first :D second:mad:)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom