Geno's Technical? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno's Technical?

Reaction Score
Some of Coach critics remind me of a football game ,in which we were leading 50 to 0 and I was playing my bench ,one of my know more than me fans "Hollered Out "if you take off that Cowboy hat ,Maybe you could do some Coaching. In other words; there will always be some fans that know more than the Winning Coach. Why are there so many UConn. fans always dwelling on the negative?

Reaction Score
What? They were not calling a "close game", they were calling a one sided game! Collier held Anigwe to 10 points because she got help just about every possession. UConn is known as a team that doesn't foul and to have there be that big of a discrepancy in fouls called is ridiculous.
You're thinking of the 4th quarter, where Cal had no team fouls toward the end. But things even out, or more than even out. Over the whole game these evil refs called 9 fouls on UConn and 13 on Cal. So...

1) It was not a very closely-called game (which, IMO, favored UConn), and...

2) If it was 1-sided, then I guess the refs favored UConn, since they called fewer fouls on us. Plus, re. shooting fouls, Cal only shot 5 FTs, while we shot 8.

These are the facts, and the facts are undisputed...
1545624487922.png

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
The officiating in that game yesterday was absolutely horrendous! Anigwe and West would camp out in the lane for 5-6 seconds virtually every possession with zero 3 second calls, West would set a blatant moving screen at the foul line virtually every possession, virtually every 50/50 call on a ball that went out of bounds was given to Cal, UConn's cutters were grabbed and bumped virtually every possession, and Anigwe got away with at least 3 no call fouls when she was on defense.

I have no problem with Coach Auriemma getting a technical. I just have a problem with him getting one in a crucial spot in the game like yesterday.
I agree that it was ill-timed. I think we are in agreement that Geno was trying to protect his player(s). To the extent that he is doing that (especially with regards to Lou), I am fully supportive.

Reaction Score
You're thinking of the 4th quarter, where Cal had no team fouls toward the end. But things even out, or more than even out. Over the whole game these evil refs called 9 fouls on UConn and 13 on Cal. So...

1) It was not a very closely-called game (which, IMO, favored UConn), and...

2) If it was 1-sided, then I guess the refs favored UConn, since they called fewer fouls on us. Plus, re. shooting fouls, Cal only shot 5 FTs, while we shot 8.

These are the facts, and the facts are undisputed...
View attachment 37672

No, the facts are that Cal fouled on virtually every single trip down the floor and had very few fouls called against them. UConn fouled very few times down the floor and had virtually every foul they committed called against them.

Cal also had more fouls called against them because they were intentionally fouling trying to stop the clock and send UConn to the line late in the game.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The officiating in that game yesterday was absolutely horrendous! Anigwe and West would camp out in the lane for 5-6 seconds virtually every possession with zero 3 second calls, West would set a blatant moving screen at the foul line virtually every possession, virtually every 50/50 call on a ball that went out of bounds was given to Cal, UConn's cutters were grabbed and bumped virtually every possession, and Anigwe got away with at least 3 no call fouls when she was on defense.

I have no problem with Coach Auriemma getting a technical. I just have a problem with him getting one in a crucial spot in the game like yesterday.

Finally got to view the game. I thought you were using hyberbole. Nay Nay - you're dead on.

Reaction Score
Megan went into the lane and got hit by 2 players and ended up on the floor. It was a pretty obvious hard foul from where I was sitting. No call by the ref and Geno went ballistic. I think at that point he'd already decided to get the T. Cal hit a three at the other end and Geno stepped out onto the court as the play came back down to his end, got in the face of the ref and got the T.

The refs were letting a lot of stuff go in the paint and I think Geno was worried that it was out-of-hand and someone was going to get hurt.
Just saw replay and would add Geno was lucky not to get thrown out of game. Your assessment that he "stepped out onto the court" the previous play when Walker was mugged was understated. He ran about 10-15 feet onto (was almost in Lou's 3 point range :eek:) and was screaming at refs. The fact that he continued yelling throughout Cals transition up the court gave the refs little option. Haven't seen the out of control Geno from ten years ago in some time so kudos to CD for boxing him out and away from refs :confused:. She is likely out of practice. I thought overall game was fairly refed but could be persuaded that there was a small pro UConn bias.

Reaction Score
Seeing the Replay this morning, Geno was "justified" in his anger over the foul on Meg. She was MUGGED.... and NOTHING was called. If the Refs aren't going to protect the players, who else can point it out but the Coach???

Frankly, I think Geno showed considerable restraint in the ND game when Ogumbowale intentionally ran into Danger and then kicked her leg out from under her making her fall to the floor. and NO ONE noticed? including the trailing ref who appeared to be right there in position to see it. I know, water under the bridge...but with depth issues, Geno has to stand up for his players to help avoid injuries...we know they can happen even without dangerous play by the opponents.

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
Sorry, Geno. Cal was called for 13 fouls, UConn 8. And UConn was 8-8, while Cal was 4-5.
I think the point is, "the non calls", that upset Geno. And there were a few obvious ones.

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
Seeing the Replay this morning, Geno was "justified" in his anger over the foul on Meg. She was MUGGED.... and NOTHING was called. If the Refs aren't going to protect the players, who else can point it out but the Coach???

Frankly, I think Geno showed considerable restraint in the ND game when Ogumbowale intentionally ran into Danger and then kicked her leg out from under her making her fall to the floor. and NO ONE noticed? including the trailing ref who appeared to be right there in position to see it. I know, water under the bridge...but with depth issues, Geno has to stand up for his players to help avoid injuries...we know they can happen even without dangerous play by the opponents.
I am glad someone else saw and commented on Ogunbowale, tripping Dangerfield. Ran it slow motion, and it was a very dirty move, swung her leg and kicked Dangerfield in back of leg, causing a nasty fall, could have been injured. And, later the, what appeared to be, pulling Dangerfield's hair, and the slap in the face.

Reaction Score
Sorry, Geno. Cal was called for 13 fouls, UConn 8. And UConn was 8-8, while Cal was 4-5.

The majority of those Cal fouls and UConn foul shots came in the last 2 minutes of the game when Cal was intentionally fouling to stop the clock. It was blatantly obvious to anybody that watched the game that UConn got jobbed by the officials.

Reaction Score
The majority of those Cal fouls and UConn foul shots came in the last 2 minutes of the game when Cal was intentionally fouling to stop the clock.

To be more exact, Cal committed six intentional fouls in the last 40 seconds. Prior to that, UConn had been called for 8 fouls and Cal had been whistled for 7.

Reaction Score
From an independent Cal sports website:

West then blocked Walker inside, and Caldwell grabbed the rebound and the Bears sped up the court. Caldwell found Thomas, who hit a three and Cal was within 72-62 with just under two minutes to play. The crowd erupted, and in the midst of the bedlam, Auriemma was assessed a technical foul for arguing fouls called against his team.​
“We have the reputation around the country, year in and year out--we just don’t foul,” said Auriemma. “And by the end of the game, Cal had shot more free-throws than us and still had four fouls to give. I was OK with it, until I wasn’t.”​
In watching the replay I saw hand checking just short of holding and body checking while holding I think Walker for 10 feet under the boards. When did they stop calling overacted overzealous body impeding movement? It would have been fun to see them try that on KIA?? Hockey player KIA. All fouls at the end in my estimation were deliberate with both Cal and OU, blatantly intentional​

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score

Agreed. I said to my wife that if obvious fouls were being called Anigwe would have fouled out by the end of the 3rd quarter. Also agree with the comment about West. She's apparently unable to properly set a screen. I recall at least twice that she committed moving screens with no call. Lou was continuously bumped when cutting. Whatever happened to the whole "freedom of movement" emphasis. Very poorly officiated game overall.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Agreed. I said to my wife that if obvious fouls were being called Anigwe would have fouled out by the end of the 3rd quarter. Also agree with the comment about West. She's apparently unable to properly set a screen. I recall at least twice that she committed moving screens with no call. Lou was continuously bumped when cutting. Whatever happened to the whole "freedom of movement" emphasis. Very poorly officiated game overall.

So it appears UConn fans have learned a lot from the Lady Vol fans.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
It was for the most part a tough, physical game. The refs let them play but I didn't see it as dirty in any way, just a little one-sided, but then those are the home court calls you can get.

Cal was called early for several holds, UCONN got called for some touch fouls.

There were lots of potential and-one calls that could have been made that were not.

There were some strange out-of-bounds calls - at least three that should have been called for UCONN, and I wasn't watching for 3 second calls so you may be right there, but there were some real battles going on under the basket between Pheesa and Anigwe - and it seemed they both gave as good as they got.

I do agree about moving screens, but I've seen in it go uncalled in lots of games. Mercedes Russel for example would set obvious moving screens on almost every play and never got called for it. I think this should be made a point of emphasis by the NCAA as it's too easy for kids to get hurt that way.

The ref's were swallowing the whistle at the end of the game and Megan did get hammered on that play, so I think Geno did the right thing in getting the technical to protect his players. Winning or losing this game doesn't really matter that much if someone gets hurt and is out for the season.

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
It was for the most part a tough, physical game. The refs let them play but I didn't see it as dirty in any way, just a little one-sided, but then those are the home court calls you can get.

Cal was called early for several holds, UCONN got called for some touch fouls.

There were lots of potential and-one calls that could have been made that were not.

There were some strange out-of-bounds calls - at least three that should have been called for UCONN, and I wasn't watching for 3 second calls so you may be right there, but there were some real battles going on under the basket between Pheesa and Anigwe - and it seemed they both gave as good as they got.

I do agree about moving screens, but I've seen in it go uncalled in lots of games. Mercedes Russel for example would set obvious moving screens on almost every play and never got called for it. I think this should be made a point of emphasis by the NCAA as it's too easy for kids to get hurt that way.

The ref's were swallowing the whistle at the end of the game and Megan did get hammered on that play, so I think Geno did the right thing in getting the technical to protect his players. Winning or losing this game doesn't really matter that much if someone gets hurt and is out for the season.
If you did not see it dirty in anyway, you were not watching Ogunbowale...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Just saw replay and would add Geno was lucky not to get thrown out of game. Your assessment that he "stepped out onto the court" the previous play when Walker was mugged was understated. He ran about 10-15 feet onto (was almost in Lou's 3 point range :eek:) and was screaming at refs. The fact that he continued yelling throughout Cals transition up the court gave the refs little option. Haven't seen the out of control Geno from ten years ago in some time so kudos to CD for boxing him out and away from refs :confused:. She is likely out of practice. I thought overall game was fairly refed but could be persuaded that there was a small pro UConn bias.
The was one moment where Geno appears to saying "You're right" to CD and nodding as if she had told him to cool it. A moment later he yelled at the ref and got the T.

Reaction Score
What you are seeing is the 2018/19 version, of this is how to beat Uconn . bang them and then get them in foul trouble--no bench help.
Also; hit threes and slow down the game. The interesting thing is; nothing has so far worked for anyone.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
That Geno! When will he ever learn to coach winning basketball? Such a feisty little chap.

Reaction Score
Also; hit threes and slow down the game. The interesting thing is; nothing has so far worked for anyone.

Uconn is a great 3 defending team! Period. Howsomeever, Geno (I believe) has told the troops: run a tough zone, don't wander far out, get the rebounds, don't foul on the perimeter. Fouling is a slow poison. With almost a nonexistent bench--somethings Uconn normally are great at has to slip because 5 kids can't be expected to run, run, run, day in day out without relief. Tired legs mean missed shots and grabbing rather than moving on defense--the social ills associated with no bench is sickening, with no fix in sight.
If Irwin or Olivia can give 5 minutes of relief in every game without the score regressing or the fouls increasing-- If Molly or Coombs can shoot accurately and enough to be a threat and defend (neither is terrible at defense) I'd be in pig heaven... Hot Dang, after 2 or 3 years at Uconn 3 of them should have picked up enough to help.

Reaction Score
Some of Coach critics remind me of a football game ,in which we were leading 50 to 0 and I was playing my bench ,one of my know more than me fans "Hollered Out "if you take off that Cowboy hat ,Maybe you could do some Coaching. In other words; there will always be some fans that know more than the Winning Coach. Why are there so many UConn. fans always dwelling on the negative?
WEG--Fans critique, that's the nature of the beast. The monday morning quarter back ha been in all sports since adam threw a basketball to Eve to score.
Most, like Geno, are seeking an answer to a question all know the problem and none not one has an answer. The significant question is: Where who what from this Uconn bench will become a Kelly Faris, or Maria Conlon or Steff Dolson RIGHT NOW. To find that in May is no help, to find it after the Baylor AND Louisville game may not help---
So other than speculate, surmise, complain, blame, offer suggestions--what is a fan to do? Sit on his/her hands???

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
WEG--Fans critique, that's the nature of the beast. The monday morning quarter back ha been in all sports since adam threw a basketball to Eve to score.
Most, like Geno, are seeking an answer to a question all know the problem and none not one has an answer. The significant question is: Where who what from this Uconn bench will become a Kelly Faris, or Maria Conlon or Steff Dolson RIGHT NOW. To find that in May is no help, to find it after the Baylor AND Louisville game may not help---
So other than speculate, surmise, complain, blame, offer suggestions--what is a fan to do? Sit on his/her hands???

Please clarify- Did Adam score with Eve before or after the apple?/

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Normally I wouldn't say anything here, because I didn't watch the game. But I just have to say - you had PAC 12 refs, and really, some of the better ones. Gonzalez has reffed the Final Four, Pantoja (a UofA grad for whatever its worth) has reffed in the D League (or whatever the NBA calls it) and In'fini Robinson actually high fived my wife when she ran in front of us when she was warming up for a game last year, so I kind of like her.

That said, guys - I suspect you saw PAC 12 referees doing what they do. They very rarely call fouls away from the ball (or in scrums). Or on shots under the basket. The big no-nos are touch fouls "impeding" progress, charges / blocks under the basket, and touching the arm of a player shooting. Anything else, not so much.

Every conference has their "style" and in large part it reflects the style of play. I don't particularly care for the way they ref games (I'm always surprised there are not more injuries), but it is their style and PAC12 teams are, IMHO, well adjusted to it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom