Geno's Technical? | The Boneyard

Geno's Technical?

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
I've been looking for any printed explanation for our favorite coach's bench technical. I guess he was well out on the court, but what was he objecting to? For my part, I wondered at Cal's oft-employed defensive tactic of bodying up on any UConn players driving to the hoop. I saw lots of contact that banged drivers off course or off balance just prior to shots. No calls on any of them that I can recall.

Reaction Score
Boneyard chat reported a perceived no-call on Megan. I didn't see it either.

It was a poor lack of judgment by Geno and could have costed us the game

I hope in hindsight when watching that he realizes how stupid it was. He certainly doesn’t appear to listen to cd on the bench

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I'm soooo tired of her holding him back... it looks foolish, he doesn't have self-control?

Reaction Score

I hope in hindsight when watching that he realizes how stupid it was. He certainly doesn’t appear to listen to cd on the bench
That's a little harsh, isn't it? The game was never really in play, technical from Geno or not.

From what I've seen, the Huskies often seem subject to some "benevolent" referee trying to use the whistle to even up the game a little. In the face of this, sometimes a coach has to stand up for his team. To me, Geno usually strikes the right balance in this regard.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Love how soooooooo many people here know how to coach better than Geno does.
Personally I think this was the most inconsistent trio of refs we have had in a long time and Geno finally had enough. We were probably on the way to a 20+ plus lead and the refs just seemed oblivious to what was going on, for both sides, but seemed to be more lopsided towards the home team at times.
Wish I could watch the replay and count the ref miscues.

Reaction Score
The officiating in that game yesterday was absolutely horrendous! Anigwe and West would camp out in the lane for 5-6 seconds virtually every possession with zero 3 second calls, West would set a blatant moving screen at the foul line virtually every possession, virtually every 50/50 call on a ball that went out of bounds was given to Cal, UConn's cutters were grabbed and bumped virtually every possession, and Anigwe got away with at least 3 no call fouls when she was on defense.

I have no problem with Coach Auriemma getting a technical. I just have a problem with him getting one in a crucial spot in the game like yesterday.

Reaction Score
It was reported in another game a few days ago that there is now a rule that if a coach has to be restrained by an assistant it is an automatic T. Don't know if that was accurate or not.

Not accurate. It is possible that a referee might decide that this action falls into one of the various supposed conduct violations, cited in the rules, most of which are not deemed to be technical fouls:

c. Prolonged, negative responses to a call/no-call that are disrespectful or unprofessional and include, but are not limited to, thrashing the arms in disgust, dramatizing contact by re-enacting the play, or running or jumping in disbelief over a call/no-call.
d. A negative response to a call/no-call including, but not limited to, approaching/charging an official in a hostile, aggressive or otherwise threatening manner, emphatically removing one's coat in response to a call/no-call or throwing equipment or clothing on to the floor.
e. Continual criticism during a game regarding the same incident after receiving a warning from an official.
f. Taunting, baiting, ridiculing, finger pointing, trash talking or inappropriate gestures (obscene, provoking and intimidating).

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I was right behind the Uconn bench. Geno complained earlier, I think about Collier being knocked down. It might have been the first half, don't recall, but it was at the far end. When Megan went down in the paint, in front of the Uconn bench, he stepped on the court and yelled at one of the women refs. She T-d him up. I don't think Megan going down was much, as others around me said too. I am pretty sure the T made it UCONN 3 fouls Cal 0. In fact I think all of Cals fouls in the 4 the quarter were intentional fouls and all in the last 2minute. He was protecting his players. I think the lead was either 12 or 10 points. Would he do it in a closer game, probably not.

Reaction Score
As I recall it was a 10 point game and the T foul shots brought it down to 8 with 1:57 left. Not a smart move by any stretch of the imagination.

Reaction Score

If it was merely for a no-call on Megan, then I think it might have been poor judgment for a different reason. IMO UConn was benefitting more than Cal from the refs not calling a close game. We can’t afford foul trouble, and we held Anigwe to 10 points with Collier - the primary defender on Anigwe -getting ZERO fouls. Why call more attention to it?

Reaction Score
I've been looking for any printed explanation for our favorite coach's bench technical. I guess he was well out on the court, but what was he objecting to? For my part, I wondered at Cal's oft-employed defensive tactic of bodying up on any UConn players driving to the hoop. I saw lots of contact that banged drivers off course or off balance just prior to shots. No calls on any of them that I can recall.
What you are seeing is the 2018/19 version, of this is how to beat Uconn . bang them and then get them in foul trouble--no bench help.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score

Megan went into the lane and got hit by 2 players and ended up on the floor. It was a pretty obvious hard foul from where I was sitting. No call by the ref and Geno went ballistic. I think at that point he'd already decided to get the T. Cal hit a three at the other end and Geno stepped out onto the court as the play came back down to his end, got in the face of the ref and got the T.

The refs were letting a lot of stuff go in the paint and I think Geno was worried that it was out-of-hand and someone was going to get hurt.

Reaction Score

Since it didn't cost Uconn the game, it was not bad. As they say : The proof is in the pudding. In earlier day Geno was thrown OUT of games; not that's a bad one.
If fans are expecting perfection in anything Geno does or YOU do, think again: It won't happen in this life time. His judgement in this case seems to have been validated.

Reaction Score
Geno will defend his kids regardless of what it will cost. It is important for the TEAM to know he always has their back. Then too a Tech against Geno usually gives the team a spark to step up the offense or Defesne.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
From an independent Cal sports website:

West then blocked Walker inside, and Caldwell grabbed the rebound and the Bears sped up the court. Caldwell found Thomas, who hit a three and Cal was within 72-62 with just under two minutes to play. The crowd erupted, and in the midst of the bedlam, Auriemma was assessed a technical foul for arguing fouls called against his team.​
“We have the reputation around the country, year in and year out--we just don’t foul,” said Auriemma. “And by the end of the game, Cal had shot more free-throws than us and still had four fouls to give. I was OK with it, until I wasn’t.”​

Reaction Score
If it was merely for a no-call on Megan, then I think it might have been poor judgment for a different reason. IMO UConn was benefitting more than Cal from the refs not calling a close game. We can’t afford foul trouble, and we held Anigwe to 10 points with Collier - the primary defender on Anigwe -getting ZERO fouls. Why call more attention to it?

What? They were not calling a "close game", they were calling a one sided game! Collier held Anigwe to 10 points because she got help just about every possession. UConn is known as a team that doesn't foul and to have there be that big of a discrepancy in fouls called is ridiculous.

Reaction Score
As I recall it was a 10 point game and the T foul shots brought it down to 8 with 1:57 left. Not a smart move by any stretch of the imagination.
Really??? And where do you coach? Oh thats right... you are not the coach who has 11 national titles, you are not the coach who makes millions of dollars a year... you have not been the coach of the year... etc....

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

Oh please!!!!!!! Give it up. Geno protects his players when he sees them getting hammered.

Reaction Score
From an independent Cal sports website:

West then blocked Walker inside, and Caldwell grabbed the rebound and the Bears sped up the court. Caldwell found Thomas, who hit a three and Cal was within 72-62 with just under two minutes to play. The crowd erupted, and in the midst of the bedlam, Auriemma was assessed a technical foul for arguing fouls called against his team.​
“We have the reputation around the country, year in and year out--we just don’t foul,” said Auriemma. “And by the end of the game, Cal had shot more free-throws than us and still had four fouls to give. I was OK with it, until I wasn’t.”​

Sorry, Geno. Cal was called for 13 fouls, UConn 8. And UConn was 8-8, while Cal was 4-5.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom