Geno's Success in Recruiting | The Boneyard

Geno's Success in Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Its pretty simple. Get a kid with a good attitude, who is coachable, who wants to be at UConn, who wants to become better and who's parents trust the coaching staff enough to stay out of their way Geno and his staff are proven winners and their records are proof of that. So why to kids go elsewhere? Well we've all read the reasons why so theres really no need to explain. When your one of the top players in the country coming out of HS you better believe UConn will be watching you and it doesnt matter where you are in the world UConn's connections are world wide. Its funny sometimes reading posts on the Boneyard because I think to myself why isnt Geno reading the Boneyard for ideas????? Only kidding. Geno gets paid millions because he is the best at what he does. He has rules expectations and knows what he's looking for in a player. If a player gets an offer from UConn its and honor.

The attitude on the UConn team is why UConn has been able to accomplish what they have. A bad attitude, a kid with problems, or a kid who will not conform to what the coaches want will only ruin the teams attitude and chemistry. The coaching staff will not risk the team for a player who wont conform to their rules.

For me and for many of you who read posts cant understand why a kid who is a top recruit goes elsewhere. We feel that way because we know how great of an opportunity it is to play for Geno and we know that because we've been following UConn for so long...unfortunately most kids havent and they rely on the thoughts and opinions of others to influence their decisions. To be offered by UConn with the opportunity to to play for the best coaching staff in WCBB is an honor. To be developed mentally, physically, and to earn the rewards of personal growth that will carry you throughout your career are invaluable. Playing for UConn is like the playing for the minor leagues with a diploma attached. You graduate and in most cases you are ready to become a professional . The rewards for playing for UConn are invaluable. NC's, FF's. on tv almost every game, your treated like a rock star.

Take a look at all the kids who had the chance to play for UConn and went elsewhere and see if theyre starting yet? How many of them have not gotten any better then they were? How many are frustrated because theyre not getting what they thought they would? Hey its not easy playing for another team when reality hits and your not starting.

You know what? Ive been on this board and other boards in the past for over 20 years. Ive learned not to question what Geno does because I know what we read in the press, what we hear and what people think may not be what is happening behind the scenes. There are a few posters on this board they have connections and even those people dont know everything going on behind the scenes or who's coming to UConn or going elsewhere ala a poster a few weeks ago who many were gaga over who proved they didnt know either. In the ole days it was much easier to find info on recruits. Today its hush hush. Its different today.

So when we have a recruiting year when we get only one recruit like this year dont worry we will be fine. The next two recruiting years there are some really really good kids and guess what all those kids who committed elsewhere this year have loaded up the rosters of those teams leaving the door open for Geno. Geno knows what he is doing. The top players know who Geno and UConn are and what theyve accomplished and with UConns roster opening up after this season you will see Geno attract the right players. Those who want to come and play for him. IMO not coming to UConn is giving up alot but then again many people dont think like I think. Thats why there's UConn and thats why there are other teams. Other teams are chasing UConn. UConn isnt and hasnt chased any other teams for a long time.

Let me end on this point. I believe UConn has a very good chance this season of winning a NC. The next few games are on the road and on the road with a short bench will not be easy @ OK @ Cal @ Baylor are all games we should win and Im thinking another undefeated season in within our grasps.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
You have to admit tony that what choices Geno makes before the start of next season when facing with having only nine scholarship players will be interesting. Loads of predictions and speculation but nothing for certain. He is an atypical situation.

Reaction Score
TonyC wrote, "For me and for many of you who read posts cant understand why a kid who is a top recruit goes elsewhere. We feel that way because we know how great of an opportunity it is to play for Geno and we know that because we've been following UConn for so long...unfortunately most kids havent and they rely on the thoughts and opinions of others to influence their decisions."

I can understand it.

These young people have a certain set of values. For Jones, it is obvious: she lives in the Bay Area, she has known Tara for years, and she is able to get into Stanford. For a fact, UConn is not Stanford. And I know. I am not knocking UConn's academics. I mean, I got my Ph.D. there, and the program I was in was excellent. Nonetheless, it certainly did not have some things the very, very top schools in my field had.

Geno said that with Jones, it was a long shot.

For Boston, we will never know. I sincerely hope she made the right decision for her.

For Charlie Collier, it was obvious: given her family situation, she reasonably wanted to be near home.

Now, I do believe Britney Griner would have chosen differently if she had to do it again. She did say after the 2016 Olympics that Geno got the best out of her, more than any coach (or words to that effect).

Recruiting really is a numbers game in a way, and Geno has repeatedly said that the pool of young players he will consider is shrinking.

We shall see what next year's recruiting is like.

I could not care less whether we go undefeated this year. :rolleyes: I just want to win the last game we play. :cool:

Thoughts?

Reaction Score
Agree wholeheartedly, but I’m still baffled by Boston’s decision to head to SC. Oh well, C’est la vie!
The more I have thought about it the more I am not surprised. Everyone including me looked at her as a local recruit and UConn's to lose but she actually isn't local when you look deeper. She ended up picking the top program that was the closest geographically to her parents in the Caribbean. SC is like an hour flight from her family.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The more I have thought about it the more I am not surprised. Everyone including me looked at her as a local recruit and UConn's to lose but she actually isn't local when you look deeper. She ended up picking the top program that was the closest geographically to her parents in the Caribbean. SC is like an hour flight from her family.
I’m not aware that there are any direct flights from St Thomas to Columbia, SC. I believe you have to get a connection through Atlanta, Charlotte, NY-LaGuardia, etc. By the time you do that, there’s not much difference between traveling to Storrs vs Columbia.

Reaction Score
You have to admit tony that what choices Geno makes before the start of next season when facing with having only nine scholarship players will be interesting. Loads of predictions and speculation but nothing for certain. He is an atypical situation.

if my calculations are correct it's nine including Camara and we simply don't know if she will continue to play next season and then five the following year.............not going to be easy to find and actually sign so many players that fit the UConn mold

Reaction Score
Agree wholeheartedly, but I’m still baffled by Boston’s decision to head to SC. Oh well, C’est la vie!
Boston said she prayed a lot to help her decide. Not sure what that means, but that's what made her choose South Carolina over UConn.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Boston said she prayed a lot to help her decide. Not sure what that means, but that's what made her choose South Carolina over UConn.
Call me skeptical. :rolleyes:

1544984028432.png

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
if my calculations are correct it's nine including Camara and we simply don't know if she will continue to play next season and then five the following year...not going to be easy to find and actually sign so many players that fit the UConn mold
So now we’re worrying about 2 years out? I’m surprised you didn’t mention that in 3 years we’re down to 2 and the year after that we’re at 0...:eek:

Reaction Score
So now we’re worrying about 2 years out? I’m surprised you didn’t mention that in 3 years we’re down to 2 and the year after that we’re at 0...:eek:

that's what happens when you only bring in one player in a particular year..............increases your needs in the second and third years, especially when your standards are so high..............in my opinion, when you can't scrimmage in practice among the players on your roster you have an issue........

Reaction Score
Yet you continue to dwell on Ms Boston’s decision to go elsewhere ...... I guess we all have our worries Head bang

Reaction Score
Its pretty simple. Get a kid with a good attitude, who is coachable, who wants to be at UConn, who wants to become better and who's parents trust the coaching staff enough to stay out of their way Geno and his staff are proven winners and their records are proof of that. So why to kids go elsewhere? Well we've all read the reasons why so theres really no need to explain. When your one of the top players in the country coming out of HS you better believe UConn will be watching you and it doesnt matter where you are in the world UConn's connections are world wide. Its funny sometimes reading posts on the Boneyard because I think to myself why isnt Geno reading the Boneyard for ideas????? Only kidding. Geno gets paid millions because he is the best at what he does. He has rules expectations and knows what he's looking for in a player. If a player gets an offer from UConn its and honor.

The attitude on the UConn team is why UConn has been able to accomplish what they have. A bad attitude, a kid with problems, or a kid who will not conform to what the coaches want will only ruin the teams attitude and chemistry. The coaching staff will not risk the team for a player who wont conform to their rules.

For me and for many of you who read posts cant understand why a kid who is a top recruit goes elsewhere. We feel that way because we know how great of an opportunity it is to play for Geno and we know that because we've been following UConn for so long...unfortunately most kids havent and they rely on the thoughts and opinions of others to influence their decisions. To be offered by UConn with the opportunity to to play for the best coaching staff in WCBB is an honor. To be developed mentally, physically, and to earn the rewards of personal growth that will carry you throughout your career are invaluable. Playing for UConn is like the playing for the minor leagues with a diploma attached. You graduate and in most cases you are ready to become a professional . The rewards for playing for UConn are invaluable. NC's, FF's. on tv almost every game, your treated like a rock star.

Take a look at all the kids who had the chance to play for UConn and went elsewhere and see if theyre starting yet? How many of them have not gotten any better then they were? How many are frustrated because theyre not getting what they thought they would? Hey its not easy playing for another team when reality hits and your not starting.

You know what? Ive been on this board and other boards in the past for over 20 years. Ive learned not to question what Geno does because I know what we read in the press, what we hear and what people think may not be what is happening behind the scenes. There are a few posters on this board they have connections and even those people dont know everything going on behind the scenes or who's coming to UConn or going elsewhere ala a poster a few weeks ago who many were gaga over who proved they didnt know either. In the ole days it was much easier to find info on recruits. Today its hush hush. Its different today.

So when we have a recruiting year when we get only one recruit like this year dont worry we will be fine. The next two recruiting years there are some really really good kids and guess what all those kids who committed elsewhere this year have loaded up the rosters of those teams leaving the door open for Geno. Geno knows what he is doing. The top players know who Geno and UConn are and what theyve accomplished and with UConns roster opening up after this season you will see Geno attract the right players. Those who want to come and play for him. IMO not coming to UConn is giving up alot but then again many people dont think like I think. Thats why there's UConn and thats why there are other teams. Other teams are chasing UConn. UConn isnt and hasnt chased any other teams for a long time.

Let me end on this point. I believe UConn has a very good chance this season of winning a NC. The next few games are on the road and on the road with a short bench will not be easy @ OK @ Cal @ Baylor are all games we should win and Im thinking another undefeated season in within our grasps.
A very well-thought, knowledgeable post. Recruiting is like courting - - why marry someone you don't really love just because they're available ? Like Geno, I prefer to hold out for true love !! Hopefully it is not unrequited (as with Ms. Jones) too often.

Reaction Score
that's what happens when you only bring in one player in a particular year....increases your needs in the second and third years, especially when your standards are so high....in my opinion, when you can't scrimmage in practice among the players on your roster you have an issue...
The starters practice against five men

Reaction Score
The starters practice against five men

I don't think they are allowed to scrimmage against the guys all the time.............could be wrong but I kind of remember a story about that............

Reaction Score
So when we have a recruiting year when we get only one recruit like this year dont worry we will be fine. The next two recruiting years there are some really really good kids

I think you were rushed - should be another “really”:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I’m not aware that there are any direct flights from St Thomas to Columbia, SC. I believe you have to get a connection through Atlanta, Charlotte, NY-LaGuardia, etc. By the time you do that, there’s not much difference between traveling to Storrs vs Columbia.
Direct to Charlotte and then a similar drive to Columbia as a drive from Bradley to Stoors and no direct flight to Storrs so the math works in SCs favor....

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
in my opinion, when you can't scrimmage in practice among the players on your roster you have an issue...
That certainly had a negative impact on ND last season who had only 8 active roster players for much of the season, 2 of which were walk-ons.

Reaction Score
That certainly had a negative impact on ND last season who had only 8 active roster players for much of the season, 2 of which were walk-ons.

that's a good point but UConn will be starting with eight (or 9).........I believe ND lost three players to injury, two during the season bringing their total to eight (please let me know if I am incorrect ND fans).....................I think you would agree that their accomplishment with that depleted line up was one for the ages............I don't think anyone including the ND players and staff thought that they were going to win the national championship as that was happening..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom