Geno's Presser - Chattanooga Game | The Boneyard

Geno's Presser - Chattanooga Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Thanks for this, JavaMan. And for all you do to add great material to The Boneyard.

Especially like Geno's comment re What Does The Hall of Fame Coach Do Now? [at 3:30] ...We need a good old fashioned ass-kicking right now.

Reaction Score
If you compare this presser to his comments at half time and immediately after the game, there is a striking, massive difference in tone. At those earlier two moments, he was clearly happy with his team (less happy with the team's defense at half time, but overall happy). But here, he walked in determined to bash his kids, just like he did at the first practice after Thanksgiving, according to our BYers who were present.

Geno must really, really like these guys to say such terrible things about them. I think he's doing 2 things here: 1. engaging in "old school" superstition in confronting the next difficult games by downplaying possibilities; 2. hiding his fundamental delight in these kids and engaging in psychological war against them--what he always does. Of course, the bottom line for Geno is that his kids always have to play angry and hungry (just like he coaches), and they're not doing that now. Crystal is the key to that for this team, and he really misses her there.

I don't deny that UConn will struggle if Saniya and Kia continue to shoot as they are doing right now, and, compared to previous years, there were some serious defensive lapses, mostly in how UConn didn't create offense out of defense. But c'mon. I think everyone has to feel that this team is a lot better than what we feared a month ago.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Geno likes this team. Not because they're anywhere near the best he's ever had, or the toughest he's ever had. But some combination of the personalities, the challenges of coaching a non-transcendent team, or whatever - he seems to be having a good time managing this group.

Reaction Score
...Geno must really, really like these guys to say such terrible things about them. I think he's doing 2 things here: 1. engaging in "old school" superstition in confronting the next difficult games by downplaying possibilities; 2. hiding his fundamental delight in these kids and engaging in psychological war against them--what he always does...9+

What he said! :D

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I thought he was genuinely angry and frustrated not necessarily putting on a show for the media.

The fact that they "chose" to play aggressive and effective D in the 2nd half aggravated him even more
after the game than at half-time because it was clear to him the that the Moc's first half scoring was as much due to his charge's complacency as to Chatt's skill.

The idea that you wait until the 2nd half to get serious is anathema to him.

He spoke philosophically about the way things Are now w/o naming names other than Pheesa
But I would guess he's still not satisfied with the overall toughness of KLS, certainly the inconsistency of Saniya, and the early season relative ineffectiveness of Kia.

This is a pretty darn good team but his concept of overall fire is not there (yet).

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I don't get this continued dumping on Kia's shooting. I think that if the first two games had not occurred, no one would be expressing any concern.

Last night she was 3-for-8, including 2-for-5 from 3 and 1-for-3 from 2-point range. What's wrong with that? It's good enough that they have to guard her.

It took far more than five games for KLS's 3-point shot to show up last year, or for Moriah's to do so in previous years. We need to have faith.

Reaction Score
I think he is doing a number of things. First, he is reminding the team that "good enough" isn't! Next he is trying to lower the expectations for the team. Don't want the players to be so OMG if they have a loss. Prepping them for an "I told you so and this is what we have to do now."
I don't think he wants a loss, but he is realistic that there may be one or more and they can be great teaching tools. And I think he is enjoying the level of teaching and coaching he has to do with this team. Haven't seen this level of smart-ass old-curmudgeon talk from him for a while!

Reaction Score
I don't get this continued dumping on Kia's shooting. I think that if the first two games had not occurred, no one would be expressing any concern.

Last night she was 3-for-8, including 2-for-5 from 3 and 1-for-3 from 2-point range. What's wrong with that? It's good enough that they have to guard her.

It took far more than five games for KLS's 3-point shot to show up last year, or for Moriah's to do so in previous years. We need to have faith.
I like Kia a really, really lot, too. But she's a junior with tons of international (and Olympic) experience. She needs to be as consistent and dependable in her shooting as she is in all other parts of her game. Instead, she's a game-to-game player right now: wondering if she'll go 3-8 (which is just okay) or 6-8 which is great and which gives hope going forward, or 1-8, which is not okay. Geno loves her and we all do. But for the past 2 years, there were so many offensive pieces that her other contributions vastly compensated for her iffy shooting. This year, there is no margin for error.

JoePgh

Reaction Score
In times like these, to understand Geno, one must invoke Shakespeare:

I did dislike the
cut of a certain courtier's beard: he sent me word,
if I said his beard was not cut well, he was in the
mind it was: this is called the Retort Courteous.
If I sent him word again 'it was not well cut,' he
would send me word, he cut it to please himself:
this is called the Quip Modest. If again 'it was
not well cut,' he disabled my judgment: this is
called the Reply Churlish. If again 'it was not
well cut,' he would answer, I spake not true: this
is called the Reproof Valiant. If again 'it was not
well cut,' he would say I lied: this is called the
Counter-cheque Quarrelsome: and so to the Lie
Circumstantial and the Lie Direct.

Geno is trying to determine how far he has to escalate on this scale to get the desired reaction from his team, especially its younger members.

Reaction Score
Geno likes to get the team focused on being irked at him instead of each other. It causes the team to bond in an attempt to prove Geno wrong.

He is a master string puller, and he does it in such an amusing way, that, while critical, is not perceived as nasty. He is so clear in getting his points across.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
If you compare this presser to his comments at half time and immediately after the game, there is a striking, massive difference in tone. At those earlier two moments, he was clearly happy with his team (less happy with the team's defense at half time, but overall happy). But here, he walked in determined to bash his kids, just like he did at the first practice after Thanksgiving, according to our BYers who were present.

Geno must really, really like these guys to say such terrible things about them. I think he's doing 2 things here: 1. engaging in "old school" superstition in confronting the next difficult games by downplaying possibilities; 2. hiding his fundamental delight in these kids and engaging in psychological war against them--what he always does. Of course, the bottom line for Geno is that his kids always have to play angry and hungry (just like he coaches), and they're not doing that now. Crystal is the key to that for this team, and he really misses her there.

I don't deny that UConn will struggle if Saniya and Kia continue to shoot as they are doing right now, and, compared to previous years, there were some serious defensive lapses, mostly in how UConn didn't create offense out of defense. But c'mon. I think everyone has to feel that this team is a lot better than what we feared a month ago.
Geno was as happy as a clam in that presser - you could see it all over his face - he was having fun and happy and grinning and joking - that is the gentlest dissing of a team I think I have ever seen! He must have had a great thanksgiving or something! :)
I like Kia a really, really lot, too. But she's a junior with tons of international (and Olympic) experience. She needs to be as consistent and dependable in her shooting as she is in all other parts of her game. Instead, she's a game-to-game player right now: wondering if she'll go 3-8 (which is just okay) or 6-8 which is great and which gives hope going forward, or 1-8, which is not okay. Geno loves her and we all do. But for the past 2 years, there were so many offensive pieces that her other contributions vastly compensated for her iffy shooting. This year, there is no margin for error.
You know - Kia in international play has been hit or miss on her scoring, and I think she always will be - she can get hot for a week or two and carry a team, but not likely for a season. What she does bring is hard nosed defensive intensity every game and that is her calling card as well has pretty solid offensive presence, not necessarily in stat sheet numbers but in keeping the team going in the right direction. She is probably the strongest leader on this team.

JoePgh

Reaction Score
Kia in international play has been hit or miss on her scoring, and I think she always will be - she can get hot for a week or two and carry a team, but not likely for a season. What she does bring is hard nosed defensive intensity every game and that is her calling card as well has pretty solid offensive presence, not necessarily in stat sheet numbers but in keeping the team going in the right direction. She is probably the strongest leader on this team.
At the game, I noticed something that I had never noticed before, and I don't believe it has been pointed out: Before the start of the game when the captains of both teams meet with the referees, Kia was the sole UConn player in that meeting. That would suggest that she has been designated as the team captain. She's not sharing that role with Saniya, Gabby, or anyone else. That would suggest that both the coaches and the players see her as the team leader.

Reaction Score
You hit on something mentioning the past 2 years. To me, her problem is that she is being guarded now. In these past 2 years on a high percentage of her MADE shots she was open. She doesn't have the ability to get her shots off in traffic because she can't elevate at all and extend. So she gets very few shots off in the paint and if guarded outside, can't shoot over anyone. So her contribution will have to come on defense because offensively, what you're seeing is what you're going to get, nothing more.

Reaction Score
uhhhhhh.................what he said:rolleyes:

I did dislike the

JoePgh

Reaction Score
You hit on something mentioning the past 2 years. To me, her problem is that she is being guarded now. In these past 2 years on a high percentage of her MADE shots she was open. She doesn't have the ability to get her shots off in traffic because she can't elevate at all and extend. So she gets very few shots off in the paint and if guarded outside, can't shoot over anyone. So her contribution will have to come on defense because offensively, what you're seeing is what you're going to get, nothing more.
Wrong. Even in the first two games when she couldn't hit the ocean from a rowboat, she was only taking open shots. I've never seen her take a contested jump shot this season. Earlier she was just missing, but lately she has been hitting a normal percentage for her (which is OK but will never be a KML/KLS percentage).

In the paint, she doesn't take guarded shots either -- she only attempts the layup if she has a step on her defender, and in fact she makes most of those shots.

Reaction Score
I do find it interesting that geno made a point of dismissing Napheesa's defense saying she has to score 40 points to outscore the girl she's covering........I really haven't noticed that her defending has been that bad, especially since she often has had to cover players much taller then she is.......also she is a superb shot blocker often stuffing the shot instead of just swatting it out of bounds and doing so usually without fouling...............

Reaction Score
Wrong. Even in the first two games when she couldn't hit the ocean from a rowboat, she was only taking open shots. I've never seen her take a contested jump shot this season. Earlier she was just missing, but lately she has been hitting a normal percentage for her (which is OK but will never be a KML/KLS percentage).

In the paint, she doesn't take guarded shots either -- she only attempts the layup if she has a step on her defender, and in fact she makes most of those shots.

I've noticed that Kia's outside shots are often almost line drives.......she has very little arc which leads to a lot of bad misses usually too strong and hard off the rim/backboard......she also rushes many of her shots which really shows up in her missing so many driving layups unlike Collier who has a wonderful inside touch.............I would think these shooting issues are very correctable and I'm kind of surprised that she hasn't improved in that area of her game...............

Reaction Score

Thanks for making my point for me. That's what I said, she can't get her shot off in traffic.

Reaction Score
I thought he was genuinely angry and frustrated not necessarily putting on a show for the media.

The fact that they "chose" to play aggressive and effective D in the 2nd half aggravated him even more
after the game than at half-time because it was clear to him the that the Moc's first half scoring was as much due to his charge's complacency as to Chatt's skill.

The idea that you wait until the 2nd half to get serious is anathema to him.

He spoke philosophically about the way things Are now w/o naming names other than Pheesa
But I would guess he's still not satisfied with the overall toughness of KLS, certainly the inconsistency of Saniya, and the early season relative ineffectiveness of Kia.

This is a pretty darn good team but his concept of overall fire is not there (yet).

Well, the "fire" was certainly there in the Baylor game, a contest that UConn willed itself to win against the odds. It is often said about teams that they play to the level of their competition, even about the Huskies. We play so many bad teams that the ability to get sky-high for all of them may be unrealistic. That's not going to satisfy Coach. He firmly believes that if you don't bring it every day in every way (and in every game) it isn't going to be there when you need it. It can't be turned on and off at will. Sometimes, he is saying, you need a slap in the head to get your attention. I would be worried if he gave up slapping his teams. So long as he's unsatisfied, there's hope. And 5-0 ain't so bad.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno's demeanor in the first half and at the half-time break was, to me, somewhat dispirited and it was echoed in his soliloquy in the presser about "that's the world we live in now","we use to be somewhat special, now we are like everybody else". There were times when it looked like two high school teams out there. So, sure he's trying to motivate, but he is also entitled to these honest observations. Maine held them to 39, we held them to 33 in the first half!

Reaction Score
In times like these, to understand Geno, one must invoke Shakespeare:

I did dislike the

Geno is trying to determine how far he has to escalate on this scale to get the desired reaction from his team, especially its younger members.
You lost me at courtier's beard. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr