Geno's Presser - Chattanooga Game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno's Presser - Chattanooga Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
You lost me at courtier's beard. :D
But caught me again at "and so to the Lie Circumstantial and the Lie Direct". When the Master speaks we all delve to listen even as his genius passes us not.

And so to Geno's genius which passes us not. Would or will any other coach speak such about his players? We see them as over achievers. He sees them as under achievers, and his constant spurs are digging into their potential. I've said it before, but when he retires a book of his quotes will be 1000 pages with an equal sized compendium of annotations.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Geno's demeanor in the first half and at the half-time break was, to me, somewhat dispirited and it was echoed in his soliloquy in the presser about "that's the world we live in now","we use to be somewhat special, now we are like everybody else". There were times when it looked like two high school teams out there. So, sure he's trying to motivate, but he is also entitled to these honest observations. Maine held them to 39, we held them to 33 in the first half!
And how exactly does Geno think his team is like everyone else? Is it because they don't play defense aggressively enough? If so, is it because that's the way kids are today, or that this team just isn't talented enough, or that the coaches aren't coaching well enough? Or all 3?
"Kids today?" But surely kids haven't changed that much in one year, when UConn defense seemed okay to him. Try telling the 3 freshmen that they're spoiled and don't like to play defense hard.
"Not talented enough"? Maybe; but, if so, it is what it is. Can't teach height and you can't add talent. Will he say that next year's team isn't talented enough?
"Not coaching well enough?" Funny that Bill Belichick always begins by blaming himself and his coaches, but Geno starts out by saying that he's a HOF coach and not getting listened to. Weird. Suggests to me some cognitive dissonance, like it's not really what he's meaning.

Not trying to parse this like it's an oracle or anything. I just think it's too confusing in its details to be taken literally. Defense was great in the 2nd half. Shows they could make adjustments and tough it out. I still think Geno's managing expectations and motivating his players.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
And how exactly does Geno think his team is like everyone else? Is it because they don't play defense aggressively enough? If so, is it because that's the way kids are today, or that this team just isn't talented enough, or that the coaches aren't coaching well enough? Or all 3?
"Kids today?" But surely kids haven't changed that much in one year, when UConn defense seemed okay to him. Try telling the 3 freshmen that they're spoiled and don't like to play defense hard.
"Not talented enough"? Maybe; but, if so, it is what it is. Can't teach height and you can't add talent. Will he say that next year's team isn't talented enough?
"Not coaching well enough?" Funny that Bill Belichick always begins by blaming himself and his coaches, but Geno starts out by saying that he's a HOF coach and not getting listened to. Weird. Suggests to me some cognitive dissonance, like it's not really what he's meaning.

Not trying to parse this like it's an oracle or anything. I just think it's too confusing in its details to be taken literally. Defense was great in the 2nd half. Shows they could make adjustments and tough it out. I still think Geno's managing expectations and motivating his players.
But I think you are!!! :cool:
I just think he was having too much fun 'being Geno' - he couldn't even keep a straight face when he busted Collier's offense not keeping up with her defensive lapses. He didn't mean for anyone to take his diatribes seriously. With the exception of one thing - I think he does think a loss would not be a bad thing, but I think he actually likes his teams chances to win the next three, and then the next four. And he would love his next visit with Maya to be able to crow to her that 90-0 is so YESTERDAY! That would be the icing on the cake.:)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
And how exactly does Geno think his team is like everyone else?

bags he was very clear about that - sometimes they feel like playing UConn ball, sometimes they don't. First half no, second half yes. And much later he said I'm not upset about it; that's just the way it is. He said he's had teams so talented that they could skate by in a few, and teams like this one and the latter were saved by their toughness, implying this team isn't tough. Sure, he's being motivational, but I don't think it was the put on UcMiami thinks it is.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
bags he was very clear about that - sometimes they feel like playing UConn ball, sometimes they don't. First half no, second half yes. And much later he said I'm not upset about it; that's just the way it is. He said he's had teams so talented that they could skate by in a few, and teams like this one and the latter were saved by their toughness, implying this team isn't tough. Sure, he's being motivational, but I don't think it was the put on UcMiami thinks it is.
OK - but he has had this issue with every team he has ever coached every year going back to his assistant days. Nothing has changed in that regard - every team has quarters and halves and occasionally whole games where their attention, focus, effort, and intensity has been bad. So the 'kids these days' was just Geno being Geno - channeling his inner grumpy old man, and laughing about it. He benched all five starters in 2000 or 2002 against Providence in one game he was so disgusted. He benched Stewart and Tuck in a January game and Tuck came pretty close to earning the 'Precious' nickname in her four years at Uconn. Everyone said that benching was because of SC being the next game ... well look at the next three games! What I found so interesting was that unlike the benching which Geno kept a straight face about in the post game, this time around he couldn't stop smiling and laughing.

Reaction Score
OK - but he has had this issue with every team he has ever coached every year going back to his assistant days. Nothing has changed in that regard - every team has quarters and halves and occasionally whole games where their attention, focus, effort, and intensity has been bad. So the 'kids these days' was just Geno being Geno - channeling his inner grumpy old man, and laughing about it. He benched all five starters in 2000 or 2002 against Providence in one game he was so disgusted. He benched Stewart and Tuck in a January game and Tuck came pretty close to earning the 'Precious' nickname in her four years at Uconn. Everyone said that benching was because of SC being the next game ... well look at the next three games! What I found so interesting was that unlike the benching which Geno kept a straight face about in the post game, this time around he couldn't stop smiling and laughing.
So, maybe you're saying UcMiami, that kids haven't changed, but that Geno has in that he can't take himself seriously any more!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
At the game, I noticed something that I had never noticed before, and I don't believe it has been pointed out: Before the start of the game when the captains of both teams meet with the referees, Kia was the sole UConn player in that meeting. That would suggest that she has been designated as the team captain. She's not sharing that role with Saniya, Gabby, or anyone else. That would suggest that both the coaches and the players see her as the team leader.
Not necessarily. I think I remember Jefferson going to meet the referees by herself. I think they just send up one player. Have to watch and see if Williams goes up sometime.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
What I found so interesting was that unlike the benching which Geno kept a straight face about in the post game, this time around he couldn't stop smiling and laughing.

I figure Geno is just finding a place to live healthy in the new reality. This is still a very fragile team, so I'm glad he has found this place, which is the right place for this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom