Geno's Press Conference | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno's Press Conference

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
If it comes down to a one possession game at the end, we're going to be in trouble because they have the one player that doesn't mind taking the last shot.

All UConn fans should hope the game comes down to one possession. My fear is the game gets a little out of hand.

Reaction Score
Great interview! Can anyone tell me more about Barb in the video? I assume she is someone associated with the BE and AAC... Thanks!

"In a world where you can be anything...be KIND"

Reaction Score
Great interview. Geno is remarkable in the way he speaks and how genuine he comes across. I felt so passionate to hear his response to the bully remark because I really think MM loves to use negative campaigning to get herself in the press when it comes to Geno.
"MM loves to use negative campaigning to get herself in the press when it comes to Geno."...and, in this case, it made her look small.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Really good response to Creme, and the a killer rebuttal to 'Bully'.

As for news and sports reporting - the news department used to be the loss leader for networks - they did not expect to 'make money' on it, but it was the headline of their branding. It changed when the mergers and acquisitions departments got involved and the bean counters started taking over the corporate offices. And it became entertainment and needed to make a profit. And it continues to bleed into our society in ways that are very detrimental to our democracy.

As for sports reporting - the more space they need to fill with entertainment as opposed to actual sports has created a monster as well and it bleeds into the sports broadcasts and I point to the Olympics coverage as the source of that problem - 8 hours/day of coverage needed to be filled with something so the human interest segments began and soon they were taking up 25% of the broadcast because no one really wanted to watch the curling preliminary rounds.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Great interview! Can anyone tell me more about Barb in the video? I assume she is someone associated with the BE and AAC... Thanks!

Barb Jacobs. AAC Associate Commissioner for Women's Basketball. She used to be with the Big East and was once head coach at Syracuse. Geno has known and worked with Barb since he's been at UConn.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Pretty sure it is:
Barbara M. Jacobs
Mobile

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Great interview. Geno is remarkable in the way he speaks and how genuine he comes across. I felt so passionate to hear his response to the bully remark because I really think MM loves to use negative campaigning to get herself in the press when it comes to Geno.

It's unfortunate Geno had to spend time defending himself at a FF press conference but he did and his response was great.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Barb Jacobs. AAC Associate Commissioner for Women's Basketball. She used to be with the Big East and was once head coach at Syracuse. Geno has known and worked with Barb since he's been at UConn.

Actually, Barb never left the Big East. The AAC is the successor to the old Big East Conference. The C7 schools just bought the name. The "new" Big East Conference has nothing to do with the old.

Reaction Score
MM and GA have different ideas as to what bullying entails. Some feel that any aggressive male behavior is a form of bullying. Take Geno's rants to refs. At first it looks like Geno is the bully and CD is a victim but what if instead CD has been threatening to deck him if he didn't sit down. If that were true would CD be the bully? ;)

I agree that Geno just had a great PC and his reply to both the "friendship" and "marriage" question was a classic.

Reaction Score
All UConn fans should hope the game comes down to one possession. My fear is the game gets a little out of hand.
Whoever wins the game will win easily, probably Notre Dame. They are the better team, but UConn was the better team last year and look what happened. So there is yet still hope.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
We've heard the good ... and bad ... from Muffet in same week

Rebecca Lobo defends her former coach in Mike DiMauro's column:

The words of former Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Famer Rebecca Lobo:

"Do I think (Auriemma) bullies anybody? No. I thought that was an incendiary word," Lobo said. "I played for him. Been around him and I've covered him for a long time. I would never in a million years use the word bully to describe how he deals with his players, other people's players, other coaches or the officials. Ever.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Anyone think that its now Muffet that is creating Controversy to keep the pressure of her team. Some said in years past that's what Geno was doing. ;)

Reaction Score
Geno is making me nervous! He seems so idk, emotional. Didn't I read that he was nauscious last weekend? Despite them being too nice (his words), I think he's really attached to Lou and Phee.

Reaction Score
Anyone think that its now Muffet that is creating Controversy to keep the pressure of her team. Some said in years past that's what Geno was doing. ;)
Neither coach does it with that intent. It's just this time of year there are more formal and informal press conferences in a short amount of time. When there are microphones and cameras stuck in your face like it is at the final four, there is going to be a lot of attention on what coaches and/or players say. Like Geno said in his press conference, he's been saying the same things from the beginning, it's just that early on no one cared what he had to say. If Geno makes a comment before a Tuesday night game in early February in Wichita, no one cares. Make the same comment in Tampa and it's tweeted, retweeted a million times, and put out there by the media coverage for all to see.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think MM is responding like someone who’s afraid her team is not up to the task at hand. ND was everyone’s #1 team to start the season. They got waxed at home by UConn, lost to a decent Miami team on the road & inexplicably lost to an average UNC team.

They won the ACC tournament over a Louisville team that was playing without 2 starters and fell behind by double digits in their elite 8 game vs Stanford. While the Irish won in OT on a last 2nd shot in last year’s FF, Geno has basically owned ND since the 2013 National semifinals.

IMO, MM would rather play anyone other than Geno & the Huskies. She’s lost too many big games to him over the past 6 seasons.

Reaction Score
Actually, Barb never left the Big East. The AAC is the successor to the old Big East Conference. The C7 schools just bought the name. The "new" Big East Conference has nothing to do with the old.
I think she was head of officiating in the BE. She’s associate commissioner in the AAC.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Thank you Geno for slamming the time outs with Holly on footwear! Want respect, stop talking about wearing apparel and shoes!!

he should mention that to Lobo and Kara Lawson

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Geno was pissed about the "cup" situation as well... all that minor stuff they has to watch for

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom