Geno's Press Conference | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Geno's Press Conference

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Geno was pissed about the "cup" situation as well... all that minor stuff they has to watch for

I almost died laughing when Geno had to lose the non-compliant drink container.

I was covering the first round of the men's tournament at Lexington in 2007. I left the media lounge area with a paper Dr. Pepper cup. A burly security guard almost tackled me before I could make it out to the floor in Rupp Arena. I had to go back and pour my drink into a Coke cup. The official sponsors are very proprietary. My question is why did they have any wrongly branded cups on the premises in the first place?

Reaction Score
I think MM is responding like someone who’s afraid her team is not up to the task at hand. ND was everyone’s #1 team to start the season. They got waxed at home by UConn, lost to a decent Miami team on the road & inexplicably lost to an average UNC team.

They won the ACC tournament over a Louisville team that was playing without 2 starters and fell behind by double digits in their elite 8 game vs Stanford. While the Irish won in OT on a last 2nd shot in last year’s FF, Geno has basically owned ND since the 2013 National semifinals.

IMO, MM would rather play anyone other than Geno & the Huskies. She’s lost too many big games to him over the past 6 seasons.
Muffey does have a lead 4-3 against UConn in NCAA semi. She felt really bullied the three time when she lost.:)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Muffey does have a lead 4-3 against UConn in NCAA semi. She felt really bullied the three time when she lost.:)
Some people say dumb things when they get nervous. MM is one of those people. She is a great basketball coach, but unfortunately she can be incredibly petty.

After last year’s championship, with a loaded roster, the expectations are a lot higher in South Bend this season. MM feels that pressure and as a result, she’s doing what comes naturally, taking cheap shots at Geno.

After getting whipped by the Huskies in December, MM turned her ire on Stewie by shutting down her twitter access. Considering that Rebecca eloquently and publicly defended Geno yesterday in response to MM’s unwarranted criticism, I wouldn’t be surprised if MM refuses to be interviewed by Rebecca going forward.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I almost died laughing when Geno had to lose the non-compliant drink container.

I was covering the first round of the men's tournament at Lexington in 2007. I left the media lounge area with a paper Dr. Pepper cup. A burly security guard almost tackled me before I could make it out to the floor in Rupp Arena. I had to go back and pour my drink into a Coke cup. The official sponsors are very proprietary. My question is why did they have any wrongly branded cups on the premises in the first place?

They have a whole cooler of Dasani water in the locker room (I don't know if that's something all teams have or something that UConn makes happen) so he carried one of those out with him. There was one press conference (either in Storrs or Albany) where he got up there with his bottle and just took the label off. I wonder if someone got scolded for him not using those ugly cups, even though, at that point, his water was technically unbranded.

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
Geno, Pheesa, and Lou pre-final-four presser. My favorite Geno line, "I wouldn't marry me either." Also, Geno responds to being called a bully. :rolleyes:

Geno is a HIGHLY IMPRESSIVE man !!!!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Anyone think that its now Muffet that is creating Controversy to keep the pressure of her team. Some said in years past that's what Geno was doing. ;)

Like his we aren't going out after the game to share a bottle of good wine....etc. Perhaps, but I do feel there is a pettiness and a mean spirited feel to McGraw's sallies in this direction. You may recall a few tournaments ago she took a real cheap shot at Geno with the "WCBB lost a lot of class at the top when Pat left" prattle. UConn stepped on her team and the announcing crew during the final game brought it up to shoot it down: "Nothing but class, etc....."

We can hope for a similar outcome.

Maybe the "bully" remark is a freudian slip from someone who, rightly, does not consider herself Geno's equal.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
They have a whole cooler of Dasani water in the locker room (I don't know if that's something all teams have or something that UConn makes happen) so he carried one of those out with him. There was one press conference (either in Storrs or Albany) where he got up there with his bottle and just took the label off. I wonder if someone got scolded for him not using those ugly cups, even though, at that point, his water was technically unbranded.

IDK, because I'm pretty sure Dasani is a Coke brand anyway. I think they want everybody with drinks to be using the paper cups with only one Coke logo on them. I guess they're worried about those TV sideline closeup camera shots, and obviously the press conferences. It doesn't make any sense that you're not allowed to have a related Coke branded water bottle, but then there isn't a whole lot the NCAA does that makes any sense.

Reaction Score
Like his we aren't going out after the game to share a bottle of good wine....etc. Perhaps, but I do feel there is a pettiness and a mean spirited feel to McGraw's sallies in this direction. You may recall a few tournaments ago she took a real cheap shot at Geno with the "WCBB lost a lot of class at the top when Pat left" prattle. UConn stepped on her team and the announcing crew during the final game brought it up to shoot it down: "Nothing but class, etc....."

We can hope for a similar outcome.

Maybe the "bully" remark is a freudian slip from someone who, rightly, does not consider herself Geno's equal.
Muffet's recent comments reveal that her issues with Geno are not about basketball or anything he said or did to her. I have always been perplexed at her unprovoked lashing out, but now the reason, at least in part, is more clear. It's not personal with Geno; she's just pissed that a man is at the top of her sport, and that manifests itself as deep rooted jealousy and bitterness that it's not a woman, like Pat. This may also explain why she has friction with Jeff Walz and his rising program, and why Muffet's go-to is evoking Pat when her position is tenuous at best.

Last edited:

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
IDK, because I'm pretty sure Dasani is a Coke brand anyway. I think they want everybody with drinks to be using the paper cups with only one Coke logo on them. I guess they're worried about those TV sideline closeup camera shots, and obviously the press conferences. It doesn't make any sense that you're not allowed to have a related Coke branded water bottle, but then there isn't a whole lot the NCAA does that makes any sense.

I don't think this has anything to do with the NCAA, but rather the terms that Coke put forth. They're Bodyarmor cups, not regular Coke cups, which I think is the problem. If it was a regular Coke cup versus a bottle of a Coke brand product, I don't think there would as many grabby hands for his Dasani bottle.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Some people say dumb things when they get nervous. MM is one of those people. She is a great basketball coach, but unfortunately she can be incredibly petty.

After last year’s championship, with a loaded roster, the expectations are a lot higher in South Bend this season. MM feels that pressure and as a result, she’s doing what comes naturally, taking cheap shots at Geno.

After getting whipped by the Huskies in December, MM turned her ire on Stewie by shutting down her twitter access. Considering that Rebecca eloquently and publicly defended Geno yesterday in response to MM’s unwarranted criticism, I wouldn’t be surprised if MM refuses to be interviewed by Rebecca going forward.

McGraw must be nervous most of the time because she sure says a lot of dumb stuff.

Reaction Score
WOW. :eek:

THAT was impressive.

The expressions crossing Geno's face while Creme was asking his dumb, longwinded question! And then dissing him for asking it, and then thanking him for asking it!

And the response to the "bullying" question was absolutely perfect.

I'm so happy he's the coach at UCONN.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom