Genos Greatest Accomplishment | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Genos Greatest Accomplishment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sorry, cbraarj, but I disagree. The world of academia and academic sports is littered with disastrous examples of legendary authorities/coaches who've been involved with the appointment of their successors. There are too many problems with that approach to detail, but the most glaring is that once you consult (in this case) Geno about his successor: 1. the successor always worries about what Geno thinks; because 2. Geno will be tempted to stay involved, to assure that the decision he helped make is a good one. There is only one way to let the program thrive after Geno, and that's

I agree with the part about anointed disasters---. Personally, I was offended when Calhoun hung around with Ollie--you can't be yourself with your predecessor is looking over your shoulder.
Shea could, in my less than humble opinion, be the best successor for Geno--if and only if Geno fades into the sun set and never sets foot on her court (except for honor ceremonies). Bags I think that constitutes some agreement!

Reaction Score
If Shea wants to be a head coach she should go do that, learn to do that, see if she's any good at it. She's good at her job, but her job is not the same as a head coaching job. Until she does that she will not be qualified to take over for Geno. Jen has taken a more likely career path to a big time head coaching position.

On the surface what you say has merit---MY OPINION, for what it's worth, is Shea with her intense makeup, her drive for perfection, etc comes out of Geno's mold and could be a great replacement for Geno--if Geno walks away, never set foot in the practice facility unless requested, keeps his opinions to himself. AS in all coaching assignment--recruiting and quality of players on board will dictate how soon she is successful. Except for TOTAL responsibility--i believe Shea has experienced all aspects of the job. A job at JMU / Va Tech,
Georgetown, LSU as head coach may not teach her any more than she got at Pitt or Uconn. And she'd have to take a pay cut to be HC or assistants there.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Victor---it isn't whether you can see Geno coaching at age 70--it is ---can Geno see that. As he gets closer he'll realize the body isn't much different (to him) than at 65--if it's fun with great kids--WHY NOT??
At 25 you wonder if those old 50's will be around next year. At 50 you wonder about those who are 70. At 70--you wonder about those who are 90 if they shall be around and capable. When you reach one plateau you realize the body may slowed down--but the brain still thinks you are 18--stupid brain??? Even at 70, 80----
Broadway--I think the double duty he did with the national team took its toll. I don't remember the details but I think he missed the celebration parade because of some kind of extended illness--may have been exhaustion related. My point is that I don't think he can keep the schedule he has now with coaching, recruiting, clinics and speaking engagements at age 70 and still be as effective. Physically, very few could. Look around, there are very few that are at the top of their game at 70.

I would like to see him retire on top with unreachable victory totals and go do something with a microphone. He would be a great analyst.

Reaction Score
Broadway--I think the double duty he did with the national team took its toll. I don't remember the details but I think he missed the celebration parade because of some kind of extended illness--may have been exhaustion related. My point is that I don't think he can keep the schedule he has now with coaching, recruiting, clinics and speaking engagements at age 70 and still be as effective. Physically, very few could. Look around, there are very few that are at the top of their game at 70.

I would like to see him retire on top with unreachable victory totals and go do something with a microphone. He would be a great analyst.

You are a good person to care so much about Geno's health. Yes after the Olympics practices and the NCAA Champs--he was hospitalized and stayed there for a while. Supposedly he came out with a clean bill of health. Now 60 may seem old to you--to me he's a kid. I remember 60 and how energetic and carefree I was. 70 isn't the new 30, but it never was the old 70 many of us thought it was--perspective, a view from where you are sitting changes when you sit in the other seat.
I do appreciate your point of view--. To speak the obvious---only Geno can and will determine when he has more than he want--but you must be certain ---Geno's wife, a nice and caring person, will know and have strong words with Geno when that day comes.

Reaction Score
On the surface what you say has merit---MY OPINION, for what it's worth, is Shea with her intense makeup, her drive for perfection, etc comes out of Geno's mold and could be a great replacement for Geno--if Geno walks away, never set foot in the practice facility unless requested, keeps his opinions to himself. AS in all coaching assignment--recruiting and quality of players on board will dictate how soon she is successful. Except for TOTAL responsibility--i believe Shea has experienced all aspects of the job. A job at JMU / Va Tech,
Georgetown, LSU as head coach may not teach her any more than she got at Pitt or Uconn. And she'd have to take a pay cut to be HC or assistants there.
No argument that Shea may have what it takes. She may. Geno and Pat did it with no head coaching experience, but they took small programs nobody cared about and built them over decades. This is a whole different deal now, and the hiring decision has a lot more risk to it.

What I don't agree with is that Shea has experienced all aspects of the job. She hasn't experienced being the boss, running the whole thing, being the face of the program, and being on the hook for the results. Much different job description. I believe that UCONN, at this point in their history, will (and should) hire an experienced head coach when the time comes to replace Geno.

Reaction Score
No argument that Shea may have what it takes. She may. Geno and Pat did it with no head coaching experience, but they took small programs nobody cared about and built them over decades. This is a whole different deal now, and the hiring decision has a lot more risk to it.

What I don't agree with is that Shea has experienced all aspects of the job. She hasn't experienced being the boss, running the whole thing, being the face of the program, and being on the hook for the results. Much different job description. I believe that UCONN, at this point in their history, will (and should) hire an experienced head coach when the time comes to replace Geno.

My comment about except for Total Responsibility--same as being the boss--is not in Shea's resume. I think you miss read the
4th line down-starting with the 4th word in EXCEPT--addresses being boss.
So apparently you do agree!!!
One thing you should agree with---is neither you nor I shall select Geno's replacement!! Regardless of our individual opinions!!

Reaction Score
I don't think that should be of any concern to us. After all, some women look great with no makeup at all.
You are correct--but being CATTY--she does look good with makeup!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom