Geno's Coaching Longevity | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno's Coaching Longevity

Joining the NBE will likely...

• Total voters
Reaction Score
IMHO Geno will coach as long as his players are receptive to his and his staff's teachings! When the knowledge falls on deaf ears he'll warm up the bus home!
Coach--your inside view confirms my thoughts! A lot depends on the kind of groups of kids he gets. Groups tend to have leaders that can make them fun or problematic. Classes too are like that. Geno with the AEH fiasco probably had that negativisim that turns off teachers and coaches and the right move is to remove the poison from our midst, and he did the right thing for himself and the team. So, with that experience he my be around for a long long time, I hope. Coach, good to read your views!!

Reaction Score
"Bus"? A bit more style I think. ;)
In the early days travel for Uconn was by bus. A bit nostalgic here. If that does not suit our inner being pick a mode that does. The results will be the same via bus or jet or limo--he packs his bags and goes home.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
From the UConn Daily (John Silver and Zac Boyer) on the Big East news:

It will probably keep the women's games off of ESPN+, too, which is good for the program and its rabid fans. According to reports, Geno Auriemma has been advocating this move behind the scenes. We do trust that Geno will do what he thinks is best for the university and athletic department and not throw football under the bus with no strategy.

Reaction Score
Coach--your inside view confirms my thoughts! A lot depends on the kind of groups of kids he gets. Groups tend to have leaders that can make them fun or problematic. Classes too are like that. Geno with the AEH fiasco probably had that negativisim that turns off teachers and coaches and the right move is to remove the poison from our midst, and he did the right thing for himself and the team. So, with that experience he my be around for a long long time, I hope. Coach, good to read your views!!

Thanks Bellemare- - -Having coached HS Wrestling for 3 years in MO and 30 in East Lyme, CT I always said if it's not fun anymore get out! Wrestling had great kids & families! I coached several other sports such as, Girl's Field Hockey, Boy's Soccer, as Assistant & Head Coach and Boy's Gymnastics, Outdoor Track, Football, Baseball, as an assistant! And a couple times I've left at season's end when the player's negativeness took over the team.
This last recruiting season re-invigorated Geno to where he will renewed as a Head Coach!

Reaction Score
Abandoning the AAC is the wrong move. The AAC and the Big East are heading in opposite directions and the next Big East TV deal will prove that out. No one cares about Creighton vs Depaul or Marquette vs Seton Hall. What was the attendance for the last regular season Georgetown vs Providence game? Or St. Johns vs Butler? The women's team gains absolutely nothing by joining the Big East and the men have more competition in the AAC than they will in the NBE. This will kill the football program and thus kill any hope of a ACC or B1G invite. And.. what happens to basketball when the Power 5- soon to be Power 6 freeze out all the other conferences in OOC regular season games in a power move to once and for all separate themselves from the rest? You don't think it will happen? Just watch when the TV revenue starts to shrink. This should never have been about basketball alone. The basketball programs can thrive just as well in the AAC as the NBE but football and baseball cannot.

If the state, the school, the fans and the donors were serious about excelling to the highest levels in all sports and acquiring a AAC or B1G invite they would work together to build a multi-use domed stadium of between 40 and 50 thousand seats that can be regularly reconfigured for basketball, soccer, concerts, trade shows, conventions, Final Fours, Pro sports(and possibly spring baseball), ect. There is no such facility in New England. With vision that could make UConn one of the most sought after universities and could be a money maker not only for the school but for the state. If you want to turn the state around in a positive direction you have to give people something they want to come to Connecticut for. A domed stadium run mostly by state and private employees and a very healthy dose of UConn students is a path towards positive. The only other domed stadium in the North East is Syracuse and look how far away that is from anything. Tell me the ACC and the B1G wouldn't give UConn a very serious look if they could boast of a domed stadium.
Who is paying for this pipe dream of yours? Certainly not a bankrupt state. United Technologies? Yeah...no.

UConn is a medium sized school in a small state with a limited TV market. We were never going to get an invite to a P5 conference. Those opportunities are in the past. Any coach who could get our football team to the level necessary to increase viewership so that we are a net positive to a P5 conference would bolt before we could cash in on that success.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom