Geno's Coaching Longevity | The Boneyard

Geno's Coaching Longevity

Joining the NBE will likely...

• Total voters
Reaction Score
With the news that a conference change is seemingly assured, I began to ponder the possible effect this could have on Geno's career. Personally, I'm hoping that 75 is his target retirement age. But in case I'm off base, what effect, if any, could this conference change have on the matter?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Certainly won't shorten his career. He's probably happy with the move but it's really about men's basketball and resurrecting the brand under Danny Hurley. The men should really be playing conference tournament games at Madison Square Garden not in Memphis or Dallas or wherever the AAC tournament is held.

Let's see what Fox has in store for Women's basketball. I expect the SNY deal will be back in play in 2020. ESPN screwed UConn one too many times it seems.

As @VAMike23 said to me yesterday, UConn is mostly viewed now as an independent in WBB anyway.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Extends his career is my feeling. Maybe you should change your OP to a poll...?
I never thought much about that because I thought the poll indicator (red circles) was all that was needed to indicate a poll is included. Something to think about though!

Reaction Score
Abandoning the AAC is the wrong move. The AAC and the Big East are heading in opposite directions and the next Big East TV deal will prove that out. No one cares about Creighton vs Depaul or Marquette vs Seton Hall. What was the attendance for the last regular season Georgetown vs Providence game? Or St. Johns vs Butler? The women's team gains absolutely nothing by joining the Big East and the men have more competition in the AAC than they will in the NBE. This will kill the football program and thus kill any hope of a ACC or B1G invite. And.. what happens to basketball when the Power 5- soon to be Power 6 freeze out all the other conferences in OOC regular season games in a power move to once and for all separate themselves from the rest? You don't think it will happen? Just watch when the TV revenue starts to shrink. This should never have been about basketball alone. The basketball programs can thrive just as well in the AAC as the NBE but football and baseball cannot.

If the state, the school, the fans and the donors were serious about excelling to the highest levels in all sports and acquiring a AAC or B1G invite they would work together to build a multi-use domed stadium of between 40 and 50 thousand seats that can be regularly reconfigured for basketball, soccer, concerts, trade shows, conventions, Final Fours, Pro sports(and possibly spring baseball), ect. There is no such facility in New England. With vision that could make UConn one of the most sought after universities and could be a money maker not only for the school but for the state. If you want to turn the state around in a positive direction you have to give people something they want to come to Connecticut for. A domed stadium run mostly by state and private employees and a very healthy dose of UConn students is a path towards positive. The only other domed stadium in the North East is Syracuse and look how far away that is from anything. Tell me the ACC and the B1G wouldn't give UConn a very serious look if they could boast of a domed stadium.

Reaction Score
My thoughts as well.

I agree with you, even though there are many more variables when coaching near, or past, retirement age. Health being the most obvious example, but there are many more that aren’t as apparent to many fans who haven’t gone through the rigors of a college season, that doesn’t begin or end with the game schedule. It takes an enormous amount of energy to travel to AAU tournaments, high school games, overseas competitions, media obligations, speaking engagements, promotions, etc. Those obligations happen over the whole calendar year, and in addition to coaching your own team, which always has ups and downs, even in a program that has the unparalleled success rate that Geno’s has sustained.

My point being that at some point, sometimes unexpectedly, your body or mind just says enough is enough, no matter how much you still love the game. One other thought that fans might consider is that anyone who has coached as long as Geno has, and has had the unbelievable success he has obtained; one of their main considerations of when to pull the plug is whatever else happens, I just don’t want it to end badly.

On a positive note Geno has the type of outlook and personality to continue for the foreseeable future, and I hope he does because he does a lot to advance the women’s game. Another positive is that when you deal with young adults on a daily basis it always makes you feel younger yourself, even if your body needs a masseuse, hot tub, or very large glass of wine when you get home. JMO

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Geno will see Doug and Harry more often in the new conference. That has to be a plus. And no thug ball from a couple of southern teams.

I still think Geno may retire when Azzi Fudd graduates from UConn, but who knows?!

Reaction Score
One more category---NaDa! His decision won't depend on the conference. Retirement is a PERSONAL choice/decision--i.e. when, where, how. Geno will retire when it decides to retire. Geno could have retired 20 years ago. He had sufficient funds and outlook for funds over the next 50 years. The choice with him is not about age or money.
It's about HEALTH (whether he knows that or not), does he like those he's around, is the travel too much too often, does he enjoy more days per week when he's with his kids or staff?
If you are one of us retiree's you will recognize much of your choices or factors upon which you used to make that big decision.
Liking the job, the people and sufficient retirement funds or are there things you'd rather do??
Geno will see Doug and Harry more often in the new conference. That has to be a plus. And no thug ball from a couple of southern teams.

I still think Geno may retire when Azzi Fudd graduates from UConn, but who knows?!
Geno may get pressure from home, but if that doesn't happen he'll be there until it's no longer fun--I like the "thug ball" comment and that he'll be among Harry and Doug more often (a plus for him and me)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It is not only "wearing" on a body it s damn foolish. If the conferences had to justify the travel costs this may not happen. I like the BE choice, do it.

Your point is illustrated in the numbers below. In essence theUConn share of the AAC TV deal would pay travel expenses.

"UConn spent $17 million in coaches’ salaries, $16.9 million in athletic scholarships, $14.4 million in support staff and administrative compensation and $7.3 million in team travel. There is an expectation UConn would find significant travel savings by moving to the Big East because it is less spread out geographically. "

UConn on the verge of joining the Big East; football likely in need of a landing spot outside AAC

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Duhh
Okay, there is no need to go dumping on one of my fellow yard buddies. Actually, in retrospect, I think you made a beneficial point. There are likely other members who are unaware of the symbol as well, and without the word "poll" in the thread title may pass over a voting opportunity.

Reaction Score
Okay, there is no need to go dumping on one of my fellow yard buddies. Actually, in retrospect, I think you made a beneficial point. There are likely other members who are unaware of the symbol as well, and without the word "poll" in the thread title may pass over a voting opportunity.
I wasn't aware of the symbol, but what actually got me is the new look of the poll itself after you open the post - just easy to miss (for me), being used to the old format.

Anyway, great idea on the poll! :cool::cool: (Probably the most lopsided poll results in BY polling history, too)

Reaction Score
IMHO Geno will coach as long as his players are receptive to his and his staff's teachings! When the knowledge falls on deaf ears he'll warm up the bus home!

Reaction Score
Abandoning the AAC is the wrong move. The AAC and the Big East are heading in opposite directions and the next Big East TV deal will prove that out. No one cares about Creighton vs Depaul or Marquette vs Seton Hall. What was the attendance for the last regular season Georgetown vs Providence game? Or St. Johns vs Butler? The women's team gains absolutely nothing by joining the Big East and the men have more competition in the AAC than they will in the NBE. This will kill the football program and thus kill any hope of a ACC or B1G invite. And.. what happens to basketball when the Power 5- soon to be Power 6 freeze out all the other conferences in OOC regular season games in a power move to once and for all separate themselves from the rest? You don't think it will happen? Just watch when the TV revenue starts to shrink. This should never have been about basketball alone. The basketball programs can thrive just as well in the AAC as the NBE but football and baseball cannot.

If the state, the school, the fans and the donors were serious about excelling to the highest levels in all sports and acquiring a AAC or B1G invite they would work together to build a multi-use domed stadium of between 40 and 50 thousand seats that can be regularly reconfigured for basketball, soccer, concerts, trade shows, conventions, Final Fours, Pro sports(and possibly spring baseball), ect. There is no such facility in New England. With vision that could make UConn one of the most sought after universities and could be a money maker not only for the school but for the state. If you want to turn the state around in a positive direction you have to give people something they want to come to Connecticut for. A domed stadium run mostly by state and private employees and a very healthy dose of UConn students is a path towards positive. The only other domed stadium in the North East is Syracuse and look how far away that is from anything. Tell me the ACC and the B1G wouldn't give UConn a very serious look if they could boast of a domed stadium.

Just to follow up with your scenario matches above. Do the same "no one cares" about Memphis vs SMU, Wichita St vs Tulane, East Carolina vs Tulsa...or how about Houston vs Cinci? Going the extra mile I looked up the last game DePaul had with Creighton with an attendance of 1,853...also looked up the Memphis vs SMU game attendance, 793.

A nice comfy domed stadium is nice but IMO the product on the field has a lot to do with whether any serious looks are given by the ACC or the B1G. In retrospect, I would bet if the product on the field was something to write home about, UConn could have already been in one of them conferences...just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
IMHO Geno will coach as long as his players are receptive to his and his staff's teachings! When the knowledge falls on deaf ears he'll warm up the bus home!

"Bus"? A bit more style I think. ;)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Maybe that is what it will take to have him wake up one morning and say :"This isn't fun anymore." That's how he says it'll happen. However, he has also disclosed that throughout his Husky career he has had teams he likes and other teams not so much. I think a healthy Geno makes for a happy Geno, so cuttting some of the Southwest/mid-westy travel from the AAC should help. Lining up against old foes should help too. Lining up a real good big should really help! ;) Devil made me do it.

Reaction Score

And the Ct taxpayers will be thrilled to spend a few hundred million on a facility with "potential". I'm sure the state's finance committee is already working on just such a project. Another Gas and property tax is all that is required after the income tax is increased. I can see the average taxpayers standing in line to vote for this. Yipee, more taxes!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom