Geno: We’re gonna need some help from [Stanford] | The Boneyard

Geno: We’re gonna need some help from [Stanford]

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Ahhhhhh Geno playing mastermind... giving the kind of answer to get Stanford over confident... Such a SLY FOX!!!! :D:cool:
as long as his own kids don't see the clip. :eek:

Reaction Score
Stanford is as fine team but I believe they are beatable..........get Brink in foul trouble and make them beat you with the three........if they're off a bit and UConn is shooting well they can win this game......

Reaction Score
All I know is...there will be many games...within this game. Gotta win the matchup battles. I think Ducharme will be called to more duty and when Brink is in....Liv will play around the foul line on offense. Movement and aggressive takes are the key. I don't expect a high scoring game and I hope that UCONN doesn't fall in love with the 3. You need free-throws and fouls on the other team and shooting a bunch of 3s is counter to getting there.

Reaction Score
All I know is...there will be many games...within this game. Gotta win the matchup battles. I think Ducharme will be called to more duty and when Brink is in....Liv will play around the foul line on offense. Movement and aggressive takes are the key. I don't expect a high scoring game and I hope that UCONN doesn't fall in love with the 3. You need free-throws and fouls on the other team and shooting a bunch of 3s is counter to getting there.

I hope Uconn is not counting on winning the game at the FT line.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One of the things Geno also talked about in his interview was that this was a game that someone needed to go out and win. In other words, UConn needs Paige to be Paige.

Before her performance against NC St on Monday, I wasn’t certain that we would see that again this season. But after her tremendous performance against the Wolfpack, it’s apparent that Paige is capable of taking over a game and willing her team to victory.

To quote Christyn Williams, “We have Paige and you don’t.”

Reaction Score
One of the things Geno also talked about in his interview was that this was a game that someone needed to go out and win. In other words, UConn needs Paige to be Paige.

Before her performance against NC St on Monday, I wasn’t certain that we would see that again this season. But after her tremendous performance against the Wolfpack, it’s apparent that Paige is capable of taking over a game and willing her team to victory.

To quote Christyn Williams, “We have Paige and you don’t.”
Yep, I'm sure that's what he was inferencing for sure. But to beat Stanford, in addition to Paige, we're going to have to a big game from two others--Azzi has to be on and we need a big game from one of the bigs--on the boards and rebounding... Texas had no problem breaking down Stanford's defense and getting good shots, they just failed to make them--had they done so, they would have beaten Stanford for the second time this year...

The mid-range shots should be open for Azzi and Paige-- Hull squared and the 5'8" Wilson are not going to be able to lock them down., and i see Paige getting her curl shots all night. When they overcompensate to stop this, that leaves Azzi to do her damage., and this will then open paths for Christian, although Brink will be lurking in the lane for a block. Stanford has not yet faced a team with a three-headed scoring threat and that's going to give them serious problems...

Reaction Score
Yep, I'm sure that's what he was inferencing for sure. But to beat Stanford, in addition to Paige, we're going to have to a big game from two others--Azzi has to be on and we need a big game from one of the bigs--on the boards and rebounding... Texas had no problem breaking down Stanford's defense and getting good shots, they just failed to make them--had they done so, they would have beaten Stanford for the second time this year...

The mid-range shots should be open for Azzi and Paige-- Hull squared and the 5'8" Wilson are not going to be able to lock them down., and i see Paige getting her curl shots all night. When they overcompensate to stop this, that leaves Azzi to do her damage., and this will then open paths for Christian, although Brink will be lurking in the lane for a block. Stanford has not yet faced a team with a three-headed scoring threat and that's going to give them serious problems...
Exactly. I would pull Brink out to the foul line and make her defend the pick and roll. Lurking to block a shot and trying to block a shot in a pick and roll is two different animals.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Did everyone take note of Geno's rambling answer to the first question, about the last defensive possession in the first overtime against NC State? He went off on tangents that I didn't really follow (and I suspect that they didn't really make any sense), and then at the end, he said that if he had a chance to do it again, he would foul.

I thought that he was basically acknowledging that he had made a mistake -- even though I think, after reading the arguments on the other thread on this topic, that the decision not to foul was also defensible.

Reaction Score
Did everyone take note of Geno's rambling answer to the first question, about the last defensive possession in the first overtime against NC State? He went off on tangents that I didn't really follow (and I suspect that they didn't really make any sense), and then at the end, he said that if he had a chance to do it again, he would foul.

I thought that he was basically acknowledging that he had made a mistake -- even though I think, after reading the arguments on the other thread on this topic, that the decision not to foul was also defensible.
Yeah I didn't get that because after the game he was asked the same question and defended his decision. I don't understand the consternation. They forced a kid to make a difficult shot under extreme pressure when they hadn't really shot well all night from long range. I'd probably do the same thing Geno did.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Dee Kantner and Melissa Barlow are in the pool of officials for the Final Four. Melissa Barlow was one of the officials for UConn's Sweet 16 game.

And in that game she completely missed the Indiana pass that bounce off one of the Indiana's players sitting on the bench and came back on to the court. It happened right in front of her. Play on.

A few years ago in the S16 game against UCLA she called Napheesa Collier out of bounds when Napheesa's foot was in-bounds and at least six inches from the baseline. There was video evidence. She's awful. She's a PAC-12 referee and I'm sure Stanford fans have their own stories.

Reaction Score

Looking at that Texas game, it seemed to me that Stanford players were giving Texas players a lot of space-- more than either Azzi or Paige will need. Stanford has a highly rated defense. I have to believe they will tighten up against Paige and Azzi. But both of them are such great passers that somebody else will be a threat. Defense will be the key for both teams.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

His answer didn't really make sense. I actually think his decision not to foul was defensible but I get how other coaches might choose a different strategy.

Reaction Score
Stanford has not yet faced a team with a three-headed scoring threat and that's going to give them serious problems...

Well I would definitely characterize Maryland as a three headed threat (Reese, Owusu, Miller) and probably Oregon as well (Pao Pao, Rodgers, Sabally), but both those teams gave us trouble so the overall point stands.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom