Geno tests positive for COVID-19 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Geno tests positive for COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn Team members were very fortunate that Geno did not have any contact with the team for three days prior to contacting Covid. If he tested positive sometime this week, then the Team may not been able to participate in the Tournament.

Let's hope that no one on the team tests positive this week.

Reaction Score
This nasty UK variant is a game-changer. Its literally a race between vaccination in time & getting herd immunity or spikes before reaching immunity. Look at Europe - they seem to be stalling at best.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
If it is any consolation, in the recent games that CD has coached, there is little noticeable difference in the team's play. Still bad timing. Hope for a speedy recovery.

Reaction Score
I don’t want to be a downer here, but I’m a little confused on UConn heading to San Antonio tomorrow. If Geno’s last exposure to his team was Friday, the CDC recommends that individuals who are exposed and regularly tested should quarantine for 7 days.

Assuming all tests are negative, that would mean that UConn should not travel until this coming Friday, 3/19. Am I missing something here?
They are having daily testing since last Tuesday as per NCAA rules and have all continued to be negative so the rules are slightly different in this situation.

Reaction Score
I don’t want to be a downer here, but I’m a little confused on UConn heading to San Antonio tomorrow. If Geno’s last exposure to his team was Friday, the CDC recommends that individuals who are exposed and regularly tested should quarantine for 7 days.

Assuming all tests are negative, that would mean that UConn should not travel until this coming Friday, 3/19. Am I missing something here?
He wasn’t positive until after Friday. His last interaction with the team he was tested negative. They do daily testing.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score

Don't they enter quarantine when they get there as part of the protocol anyway? I think that's why they go so early. They travel charter not commercial, I believe, so contact with people other than team-related folks is minimal to none.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Yes. They've done the requisite contact tracing and no exposure since Friday. All Tier 1 personnel continue to test negative. All teams will quarantine and be tested more upon arrival.

Reaction Score
That makes sense, although it feels like playing Russian Roulette.
Would have to agree, it’s a tough time. Let’s hope no one else is out. At least it wasn’t a player, almost better a coach. Imagine PB out for two games..yikes!

Reaction Score
Serious question..have they tested people after they had vaccines? Like..seems like you would test positive given they just gave you dead covid.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
A sobering ticker of off-court news for UConn fans:
Rizzotti fired.
Tuck retired.
Geno quarantined.

Let's just get through the selection show and look forward to the sunrise tomorrow.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
From the Courant:

All Tier I personnel have tested negative for COVID-19 since daily testing commenced, per NCAA Tournament protocol, on Tuesday, March 9.

”After we received notification of the positive test result yesterday, we initiated contact tracing protocols, which included interviewing individual members of the basketball program and in-depth video analysis of practice,” director of sports medicine and head team physician Deena Casiero said in a statement.

“Only household close contacts were identified. Given the fact that we have been doing daily testing for the past seven days, we feel confident that we were able to catch this very early on in the disease process. The remainder of Tier I tested negative yesterday and today.”

The team is set to depart, as scheduled, for the NCAA Tournament in San Antonio Tuesday morning. Auriemma is permitted to rejoin the team on March 24 following a 10-day isolation period.

Reaction Score
Same thing happened to my Mom. She never got sick. Hopefully Geno won’t either. He can rejoin the team in March 24th. I’m sure CD will step up and do great.

Reaction Score
If, as reported, Geno has had his second vax shot, he must have gotten either the Pfizer or the Moderna vaccine. Both of those confer more than 50% immunity w/in a couple of weeks of receiving the first injection. After shot 2, another couple of weeks is needed for above 90% immunity. But, wait, there's more. In addition to conferred immunity, these vaccines also mitigate the seriousness of the virus should it be contracted. That means fewer hospitalizations and fewer deaths. So, minimally, Geno's case may not be very severe (or severe at all).
And as some have mentioned, the team will not miss a beat with CD at the helm. She also has two able assistants in Shea and Jamelle.
Worst care, of course, is that one of the players is affected. That would be una problema grande.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He did—just had the second on Mar 10, but doesn’t provide full immunity for another 9 days. You can still be contagious even if you get the shots and catch Covid.
Gracias.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69