Geno Surgery Successful - But out indefinitely | The Boneyard

Geno Surgery Successful - But out indefinitely

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Recuperation is a funny, unpredictable thing.
I had a complicated, robotic, heart job done Oct1.
and tried to ski 30-odd days later.
Forgetaboutit.
I couldn't get down the first run...sweating, nausea, profound exhaustion, neck pains.
Tried again yesterday...just about ready...but took it very easy.

I know people with Geno's general issue that took a few months to get back to being themselves...others a week or so.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Intestinal surgery isn’t always easy to recuperate from. It also can create scar tissue causing issues even years later. Hopefully he’ll do what MDs tell him is okay to do.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Forgetaboutit.
I couldn't get down the first run...sweating, nausea, profound exhaustion, neck pains.

I know people with Geno's general issue that took a few months to get back to being themselves...others a week or so.

I've had my knees scoped three times for menisci, the first I was around 35, the most recent when I was 57. The first one I didn't recognize the symptoms, so my knee had atrophied to a really great extent. I began running about a week after surgery, but still needed a month of PT to get almost the way back to full health. The last time I caught it really early, and the tear was really small, so very little atrophy. The damage was actually pretty extensive. I swear I recovered 90% within a week -- walked two miles the next day, ran within five days -- but that last ten per cent took six months.

Reaction Score
Just saw on the news Geno is out indefinitely. If he went in for surgery for diverticulitis, he probably has some part colon removed. Even if surgery were laparoscopic , will need some time for recovery.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'm just glad he's out of surgery and it went well. Anytime someone of our age goes under anesthesia and under the knife it is major surgery. Now it's rest, antibiotics, and monitoring. Get well general.

HGN

Reaction Score
Get Well Soon Coach.......

It's times like these that we and the Huskies are so Blessed to have CD. All teams have assistant coaches sitting on the bench. But we have CD and they don't.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Apparently by all indications, Geno the wise guy is back. In the back end of the Courant article, we see that Geno is doing well

Geno in good spirits

Although Auriemma had to watch Sunday’s game from home as he continues to recover from surgery to alleviate symptoms of diverticulitis, he was able to FaceTime into the locker room after the game to congratulate the team for its win and, naturally, crack some jokes.

“He was making fun of us, basically," Walker said. "He was like ‘I almost fell out of my chair when I saw so and so do such and such,’ like me flying in for offensive rebounding. ‘Liv’s not going Hollywood after her big game.’ Just stuff like that. He was happy to see us go out there and have a big game.”

Dailey said Auriemma was able to stop by the school Saturday to see the team and that he’s starting to feel like his normal self again.

“I think Kathy [Auriemma’s wife] said he was starting to be annoying, so he’s almost back to normal, or wise guy, something on those lines,” Dailey said.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Forgetaboutit.

CD has a gentle bedside manner. The girls know that even though Geno is not there in person, he’s there in spirit. They also know he’s watching the game live on TV.

The girls will play as hard for CD as they would for Geno. If they don’t, they know they would hear about it when he got back, and there would be hell to pay. Who wouldn’t want to play for CD? :eek:

Recall ONO’s answer to the post game interviewer’s question: What do you think Geno will think of your performance today? ONO: “ He’ll probably find something to critique.” :rolleyes:

Last edited:

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
Intestinal surgery isn’t always easy to recuperate from. It also can create scar tissue causing issues even years later. Hopefully he’ll do what MDs tell him is okay to do.
He will be out and about in couple of weeks. I had the same surgery when I was 75, and was up walking the next day. Also, I am sure they did it laparoscopically, which means no big scar to heal or scar tissue. Five small (1 inch) cuts is all it takes. I had 22 inches of my colon removed and spliced back together. Prediction, he will be back for Jan 2nd game. Geno is tough.

Reaction Score
Didn't know about it until I watched the game. Guys our age have to put up with a lot of stuff. The stress he must be under makes him very vulnerable to a lot of things.

All I can say is "get well, Geno!".

Reaction Score
CD has a gentle bedside manner. The girls know that even though Geno is not there in person, he’s there in spirit. They also know he’s watching the game live on TV.

The girls will play as hard for CD as they would for Geno. If they don’t, they know they would hear about it when he got back, and there would be hell to pay.

Recall ONO’s answer to the post game interviewer’s question (I’m paraphrasing): What do you think Geno thinks of your performance today? ONO: He’ll probably find something negative I need to work on. :eek:
LOL

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
He will be out and about in couple of weeks. I had the same surgery when I was 75, and was up walking the next day. Also, I am sure they did it laparoscopically, which means no big scar to heal or scar tissue. Five small (1 inch) cuts is all it takes. I had 22 inches of my colon removed and spliced back together. Prediction, he will be back for Jan 2nd game. Geno is tough.
The scar tissue I’m referring to is in the intestine. I don ‘t know if laparoscopy changes that. Adhesions form and sometimes years later more surgery. One way or the other, this surgery shouldn’t sideline him too long.

Reaction Score
Such good news that Geno will be well soon and, hopefully, thrill us for a few more years.

Question - with Geno out does he still get credit for wins as head coach such that the gap between he, Tara & Pat doesn't widen?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Such good news that Geno will be well soon and, hopefully, thrill us for a few more years.

Question - with Geno out does he still get credit for wins as head coach such that the gap between he, Tara & Pat doesn't widen?

Someone please correct me if I’m wrong, but when a coach misses a game for health/personal reasons, or suspension, they are still the coach of record. The results of the game goes on their record.

When Tara VanDerveer took the entire season off from Stanford to coach the USA women’s Olympic Basketball team, she was not the coach of record that year, and was not credited with the team’s wins or losses that year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Someone please correct me if I’m wrong, but when a coach misses a game for health/personal reasons, or suspension, they are still the coach of record. The results of the game goes on their record.

When Tara VanDerveer took the entire season off from Stanford to coach the USA women’s Olympic Basketball team, she was not the coach of record that year, and was not credited with the team’s wins or losses that year.
Correct

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yes, but you missed Note 3.

NOTE 3: Above does not apply if you are Coach K and your replacement loses many games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom