Geno stiffed for another major COY award | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno stiffed for another major COY award

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
It's not as if Geno is throwing a bunch of ragamuffins out of the floor. Each player was a top recruit. I'm not sure how the other coaches stack up, but I think we can all agree that he has a lot of talent to work with.

Player and Recruiting Position Rank
KML - 1 (and 1 overall)
Hayes - 2
Dolson - 2
Doty - 3
Hartley - 4 (I think we can all agree that she was underrated)
Stokes - 5
Faris - 6

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
It's not as if Geno is throwing a bunch of ragamuffins out of the floor. Each player was a top recruit. I'm not sure how the other coaches stack up, but I think we can all agree that he has a lot of talent to work with.

KML - 1 (and 1 overall)
Hayes - 2
Dolson - 2
Doty - 3
Stokes - 5
Faris - 6
Ranking by position in the women's game is not as significant as ranking overall, as there's a huge dropoff between the very top players and everyone else. Other than KML, a freshman, Geno's got no players who were ranked higher than 10 coming out of high school (and Doty, who was ranked #10, has lost quite a bit athletically). Certainly, UConn's roster is not chopped liver, but there are no first team AAs. The final 12 for the Wade just came out- no UConn kids. If you look at the other three #1 seeds, they've got Wade and Naismith finalists. So if you've been one of the very best teams throughout the balance of the season, someone must have been performing at an elite level. But it apparently wasn't the players or their coach based on season-ending honors.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

KML - 1 (and 1 overall)
Hayes - 2
Dolson - 2
Doty - 3
Stokes - 5
Faris - 6
Absolutely no one has said that he has no talent. I don't know where you get some of this stuff. Geno has always said that talent was essential. It is not other than KML some of the type of talent he has had many other years. But the general consensus for end of year awards this year is that there are NO POY candidates on UConn, maybe no first team AAs and yet the team finishes first in the Big East Tourney, loses 3 of its four losses to the #1 and #2 teams in the polls, and has out performed its own records for defense for the season and has only gotten better through the BET and the first two rounds of the NCAAs. If that is not tremendous coaching then I have no idea what it is. More than anything it is likely simply a sign of Geno and UConn fatigue.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Absolutely no one has said that. I don't know where you get some of this stuff. Geno has always said that talent was essential. But the general consensus for end of year awards this year is that there are NO {OY candidates on UConn, maybe no first team AAs and yet the team finishes first in the Big East Tourney, loses 3 of its four losses to the #1 and #2 teams in the polls, and has out performed its own records for defense for the season and has only gotten better through the BET and the first two rounds of the NCAAs. If that is not tremendous coaching then I have no idea what it is. More than anything it is likely simply a sign of Geno and UConn fatigue.

Did I say anywhere that someone else had said that? This was my point, not a response to someone else's. But it does seem as if some on this board are making it sound as if Geno is winning despite his limited resources. This is certainly not a team of limited resources, but maybe a little more on par with what other coaches work with each year.

Geno is a tremendous coach, and we all recognize that. And I think he should be considered every year. His name should always be on the list. I'm just saying that he is doing a lot with a lot.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Did I say anywhere that someone else had said that? This was my point, not a response to someone else's. But it does seem as if some on this board are making sound as if Geno is winning despite his limited resources.

Geno is a tremendous coach, and we all recognize that. And I think he should be considered every year. His name should always be on the list. I'm just saying that he is doing a lot with a lot.
They say that only in regard to this year and not in the past. Geno himself has, also, said as much.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
They say that only in regard to this year and not in the past. Geno himself has, also, said as much.

UCONN is not a team of limited resources. This is a team of phenomenally talented players who are reaching their potential. He doesn't have Maya or Tina or DT, but neither do most coaches in the average year.

And don't get me wrong, Geno is a tremendous coach. He could probably win the award each year and I wouldn't disagree.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
UCONN is not a team of limited resources. This is a team of phenomenally talented players who are reaching their potential. He doesn't have Maya or Tina or DT, but neither do most coaches in the average year.

And don't get me wrong, Geno is a tremendous coach. He could probably win the award each year and I wouldn't disagree.
They are today but as Alex pointed out your facts are suspect.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
They are today but as Alex pointed out your facts are suspect.

I am surprised to hear that some UCONN fans think that this is a team of limited abilities since they were all rated pretty highly. From what I can see, they look as talented as any other team in the country.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Not to pick on Ms Pebley but does this sound like a national COY resume?

"Pebley, in her ninth season at Utah State, guided the Aggies to a school-record 21-10 record, marking the first time the program has surpassed the 20-win benchmark. Pebley, who earned Western Athletic Conference Coach of the Year honors last season, took her team to the Women's National Invitation Tournament (WNIT) for the second consecutive year, following a semifinals appearance in the WAC Tournament."

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
The problem with most of these awards is that they do not take into account the most important and distinguishing part of the season for the top teams. If UConn rides a smothering D to another NC, it will look kind of odd to see that the coach was not nominated for the COY award. For the players the issue is not so great because one sub-par game in a losing effort or playing for a weak team should not prejudice a great season's long performance. That said, when DT was battling Duke's Alana Beard for the top awards in 2004, it was frustrating that DT's incredible NC performances did not factor in for most awards.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
This is similar to the POY debate. There is no way that any player other than BG should win this award. Anyone who watches women's basketball knows that she is the biggest force to hit the women's game in years, maybe ever. YET, there are those who simply don't want to vote for the best, which is the case here with Geno.

Does anyone REALLY think that Geno is not the best coach in the country?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
But the story with BG could end up being the opposite if UConn continues their great defense in the tourney. If UConn manages to make the finals and beat Baylor Griner could leave college never winning a NC.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I am surprised to hear that some UCONN fans think that this is a team of limited abilities since they were all rated pretty highly. From what I can see, they look as talented as any other team in the country.
Alex gave you the facts. They were not rated as high as the players on most NC teams.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
But the story with BG could end up being the opposite if UConn continues their great defense in the tourney. If UConn manages to make the finals and beat Baylor Griner could leave college never winning a NC.

Yep, it could happen. UCONN is a tremendous team, as are Stanford and ND. And as far as that goes, Tennessee is going to be no walk in the park.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Caroline is hobbled by her knee. Kelly is at times a reluctant shooter. Stef commits silly fouls sometimes. Bria's shot can go flat and missing. Tiff is occasionally out of control. And even Kaleena can run into an extended shooting slump. This is a group of very good players that is not great across the board. The team is probably better than the sum of its parts.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Caroline is hobbled by her knee. Kelly is at times a reluctant shooter. Stef commits silly fouls sometimes. Bria's shot can go flat and missing. Tiff is occasionally out of control. And even Kaleena can run into an extended shooting slump. This is a group of very good players that is not great across the board. The team is probably better than the sum of its parts.

Maybe these described weaknesses are attributed to the coaching in the eyes of some, thus resulting in no COY candidacy. I am not saying that is the case, but maybe some feel that the group has underachieved as far as individual skill levels and development.

I would not be surprised to see UCONN win the NC. It is a very real possibility.

Reaction Score
Them that vote don't know what a good coach is. They keep evaluating the coach on what he/she did with the talent on the team. That's BS. If they have mediocre talent it's because the coach doesn't know how to recruit or build a program. If you can't recruit, you're a lousy coach. Having a good season with little talent doesn't make a good coach.

Reaction Score
Plus, I would venture to say that what Geno has done with only one senior is much more impressive than Muffett with all those fifth year seniors...
That was exactly what I was thinking. If Muffett was a finalist last year, I'd be pretty supportive because of the lack of expectations but this year she is loaded with talent and EXPERIENCE so why would she be so highly considered when Geno lost Maya and has such a young young team, overall!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Maybe these described weaknesses are attributed to the coaching in the eyes of some, thus resulting in no COY candidacy. I am not saying that is the case, but maybe some feel that the group has underachieved as far as individual skill levels and development.

LOL

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
The thread seems conflicted; is the team loaded with talent or not, should Geno be praised for the BigEast triumph and NCAA potential or dammed for the 4 losses. My view is that the criteria for choosing coach of the year is unclear, the whole process is completely subjective and that everyone in the nation with half a brain knows that Geno has recruited the team of the year for next year and into the immediate future and is resentful.

Reaction Score
Not to pick on Ms Pebley but does this sound like a national COY resume?

"Pebley, in her ninth season at Utah State, guided the Aggies to a school-record 21-10 record, marking the first time the program has surpassed the 20-win benchmark. Pebley, who earned Western Athletic Conference Coach of the Year honors last season, took her team to the Women's National Invitation Tournament (WNIT) for the second consecutive year, following a semifinals appearance in the WAC Tournament."

Again, there's one coach per region. I have no idea what else is in Utah's region, but the west has few very good teams. If you're going to say she doesn't deserve it, then name somone *in that region* who is more deserving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom