Geno stiffed for another major COY award | The Boneyard

Geno stiffed for another major COY award

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
VanDerveer is one of eight finalists, along with Tom Collen (Arkansas), Brenda Frese (Maryland), Muffet McGraw (Notre Dame), Curt Miller (Bowling Green), Kim Mulkey (Baylor), Reagan Pebley (Utah State) and Coquese Washington (Penn State).

LINK

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
How is KBA from St. John's not on the list? I thought she did a graet job this year, and not just in the UConn game. They played Baylor pretty tough too, and her team looks very cohesive and plays so hard.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Plus, I would venture to say that what Geno has done with only one senior is much more impressive than Muffett with all those fifth year seniors...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
More bulletin board material. The team will want to go out on the court and defend their coach the same way he defends them. Go HUSKIES!!!

HGN

Reaction Score
Geno just gets No Respect...........So the only thing he can do is just keep kicking butts until he gets the respect he so rightly deserves.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
VanDerveer is one of eight finalists, along with Tom Collen (Arkansas), Brenda Frese (Maryland), Muffet McGraw (Notre Dame), Curt Miller (Bowling Green), Kim Mulkey (Baylor), Reagan Pebley (Utah State) and Coquese Washington (Penn State).

LINK
http://www.s.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/clint_ew.gif

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I guess having lost FOUR (!!) games this year it is obvious to one and all that Geno has done a very mediocre job.

Reaction Score
Meh.

What the hell is he going to do with yet another paperweight? Give it to someone who doesn't already have a dozen.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Meh.

What the hell is he going to do with yet another paperweight? Give it to someone who doesn't already have a dozen.
I believe he must give them away since they do not appear to be at his house or in his office.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Meh.

He'd misplace it with the other trophy that they recently found under some clutter. :)

Actually, they need a gap of a year. Tell me that he will not be a favorite next year when the team REALLY runs through the opposition. I think Alex described it recently as "Wrath of God." Look for the UConn Huskies to be WOGging their tails big time next year.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Yeah but next year, he won't get it because he has the wrath of God at his disposal. And if you have the WoG, you're SUPPOSED to dominate, right?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Geno doesn't care about himself getting awards, but he does care about the team being recognized for their accomplishments.

We are the only ones who care and we should. We know who the best coach in WCBB is - GENO!!!!!!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yeah but next year, he won't get it because he has the wrath of God at his disposal. And if you have the WoG, you're SUPPOSED to dominate, right?
Yeah, but are the COY voters also subject to the WoG? If so, they, like the opposing teams, should be afraid, very, very afraid. :D

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Geno doesn't care about himself getting awards, but he does care about the team being recognized for their accomplishments.

We are the only ones who care and we should. We know who the best coach in WCBB is - GENO!!!!!!!
Really, there's not a ton of argument on that score outside of the UConn fanbase (save a couple of select biased locales).

So I propose a simple solution. In response to the notion that "Well, we could give it to Geno every year, and there are a lot of other coaches who are doing good work that deserves recognition," why not just change the name of the award to the "Geno Auriemma COY Award"? Then you never have to give it to Geno again.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score

LINK

No Jim Crowley?

Reaction Score
How is KBA from St. John's not on the list? I thought she did a graet job this year, and not just in the UConn game. They played Baylor pretty tough too, and her team looks very cohesive and plays so hard.

I believe there is one nominee from each region. Looks like they picked Coquese over KBA, which doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

Reaction Score
I assume everyone who thinks Geno was robbed this year, also feel that he unfairly got it the year he had Maya-Tina-Renee.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I assume everyone who thinks Geno was robbed this year, also feel that he unfairly got it the year he had Maya-Tina-Renee.
When you go 39-0 and no one comes within fewer than ten points of you, that's an excellent coaching job no matter who you have on the roster. Especially considering that Tina still needed prodding at the start of the season, one of his starters was injured mid-season, his best player was a sophomore (an exceedingly special one, but still), and there was the EDD fiasco before the season even began. Not saying he didn't have a fantastic team because he obviously did, but many lesser coaches would have found a way to drop a game or two under those circumstances.

BTW, I am not necessarily advancing the notion that he deserves it this year (though I do think this was one of his better coaching jobs, especialy if UConn manages to make it through Kingston), but the fact he isn't being considered at all is a bit odd to me.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Freeze from Maryland definitely shouldnt be on the list..... she wasnt even ACC Coach of the year, yet she is up for National Honors?? MD was picked to be 3rd in the ACC..... and they finished 3rd in the ACC. Great job there. :rolleyes:

Yeah... Im a homer..... but seriously Coach P for Duke deserves to be a finalist as least.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
He has set the standards so high that 4 losses seems excessive. Maybe they will let you coach the Olympic team to make up for not being COY.
Yep, a (Maya Moore) career worth of losses in a single season. We certainly can't afford any more this year. :)

Speaking of the Olympics, here's the current status of the coaches on the men's side:

Coach K: #2 seeded team loses to Lehigh in Round 1 of the NCAA tourney.

Mike D'Antoni: Quit amid player dissension after 6-game losing streak.

Nate McMillan: Fired during a disappointing seasan following a blow-out loss to D'Antoni's team.

Yikes!!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
That is an argument that can be made quite readily. Unless you give him the credit for developing those three AA.

Reaction Score
When you go 39-0 and no one comes within fewer than ten points of you, that's an excellent coaching job no matter who you have on the roster.

I agree. And yet some on this board have claimed that Mulkey shouldn't get it because anyone could win with Griner.

but the fact he isn't being considered at all is a bit odd to me.

Who says he wasn't considered? I'm sure he was nominated, but Coquese got more votes in this region. There's no denying that she's done a great job at rebuilding Penn St.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom