Geno speaking about role players | The Boneyard

Geno speaking about role players

Reaction Score
What makes Geno great is he can take an All American in HS and make her content to be a great teammate when they get to UCONN. This team is the most loaded team he has had in a while, if not ever, and some really good players are going to play less than they would on any other team in the country.

I really think Geno and this team are going to make a statement this year to all the people who said UCONN was over.

Reaction Score
What makes Geno great is he can take an All American in HS and make her content to be a great teammate when they get to UCONN. This team is the most loaded team he has had in a while, if not ever, and some really good players are going to play less than they would on any other team in the country.

I really think Geno and this team are going to make a statement this year to all the people who said UCONN was over.
Most loaded team ever? Geno's had teams that won four straight national championships. If you want to be the most anything, you're going to have to clear that bar.

Reaction Score
Geno is a master in all situations and will reason out the best possible starting 5 on this team. Then he will reason out the best combination of players that will make the starting 5 even greater. Then he will put together a game plan that will devastate the opposition and run the BE and then run the NCAA tournament for No.12 and then 13 and then 14 and so on. GO GENO ,THE MASTER!!! GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
Most loaded team ever? Geno's had teams that won four straight national championships. If you want to be the most anything, you're going to have to clear that bar.
I agree that this team is not close to, " the most loaded ever." We have already lost a potential force in the middle ( Jana). In my view, Caroline will not play at all ( she gets a concussion every time her head is touched, by pretty much anything....and she should retire). DeBerry is a lovely women and teammate, but she is not part of a " loaded" team on any planet. Nor is Paterson. So you are talking about three freshman whom we have seen playing against some pretty low level competition in Croatia (and wherever else they are), and let's be honest, they are untested freshmen. We have Ice Brady returning from major surgery ( and who has never played one minute for UCONN ), and Paige and Azzi who are valid superstars if they can stay healthy ( which Paige did for one season, two years ago, and Azzi never has ). Aubrey seems like the only player, so far, who looks like an improved, reliable athlete. And she has an " iffy " back. This team is more shaky than loaded. They will be fun to watch, but only if Lady Luck decides to favor UCONN women's Basketball once again.

Reaction Score
My favorite players are the STAR UTILITY players

Like Shea, Sue Bird, and 20 others on Uconn over the years. Paige, Azzi, Caroline, Edwards, Nika currently--Stardom comes to them for their hustle--play where and when needed--and--take that huge last second winner---OR loser. Either way takes courage, commitment to the Team over self. --in other words--A UCONN type player!!

Reaction Score
Geno is a master in all situations and will reason out the best possible starting 5 on this team. Then he will reason out the best combination of players that will make the starting 5 even greater. Then he will put together a game plan that will devastate the opposition and run the BE and then run the NCAA tournament for No.12 and then 13 and then 14 and so on. GO GENO ,THE MASTER!!! GO HUSKIES!!!
What ever reason Geno uses it shall be the line up Geno decides to use. Except for "the Coaches" no one knows the abilities and weakness off the player on this team like the coaching staff. We've got a winner for nearly 40 year with that kind of coaching----yet, on a game or 10, I'll second Guess Geno's decisions!

Reaction Score
You know @Rowdy831 said most loaded in a while?!
It is often NOT directly about the team Talent, size, Determination it is the Competition. Go back 3 years and look at the teams Geno had and a few in the NCAA.
If it were all about Star quality or Coaching--well, you know!

Reaction Score
My favorite players are the STAR UTILITY players

Like Shea, Sue Bird, and 20 others on Uconn over the years. Paige, Azzi, Caroline, Edwards, Nika currently--Stardom comes to them for their hustle--play where and when needed--and--take that huge last second winner---OR loser. Either way takes courage, commitment to the Team over self. --in other words--A UCONN type player!!
Right there with you!

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
It doesn't matter who starts. Geno can substitute one minute into the game if he doesn't like what he sees. By the start of the season, Geno will know what each player brings to the table, and he will substitute based on what is happening on the court. Many players will get on, but depending on the situation and players ability, Geno will send them in and out based on this premise. Some will be good on defense, good on the press, good 3-point shooter or good ball handler. There is a lot of talent on this team, and the maestro will move people around to get the best production in any particular game. Our only obstacle will be injuries. If we can make it through fairly healthy, Geno can make his magic. Everyone will get their chance as long as they stay positive and play hard. As the motto goes, play hard, play smart, and have Fun.

Reaction Score

Wrong. Geno had teamS that won titles in 4 consecutive years. The poster said team (singular). From 2013-2016 UConn had 4 different teams.

Reaction Score
Wrong. Geno had teamS that won titles in 4 consecutive years. The poster said team (singular). From 2013-2016 UConn had 4 different teams.
OK fine. Any of the team(s) from 2013-2016 would smoke this UConn team, and every other present day team in WCBB.

Reaction Score
OK fine. Any of the team(s) from 2013-2016 would smoke this UConn team, and every other present day team in WCBB.

The 2013 team lost three times to NDame that season. Some say they were gifted that title by Louisville. (I don't) My most vivid memory of that year was the three losses to the Irish. I keep seeing Dolson nonchalantly tossing inbounds passes to Hartley that were stolen by Diggins. One of them cost UConn a game.
Those "great" teams from the past all played some games when their fans questioned them just like people are questioning this team. This year's team hasn't play a minute yet so it's premature to call them great but not to call them loaded. The 2016 team had 3 AA's. That's doable this year.

Reaction Score
I agree that this team is not close to, " the most loaded ever." We have already lost a potential force in the middle ( Jana). In my view, Caroline will not play at all ( she gets a concussion every time her head is touched, by pretty much anything....and she should retire). DeBerry is a lovely women and teammate, but she is not part of a " loaded" team on any planet. Nor is Paterson. So you are talking about three freshman whom we have seen playing against some pretty low level competition in Croatia (and wherever else they are), and let's be honest, they are untested freshmen. We have Ice Brady returning from major surgery ( and who has never played one minute for UCONN ), and Paige and Azzi who are valid superstars if they can stay healthy ( which Paige did for one season, two years ago, and Azzi never has ). Aubrey seems like the only player, so far, who looks like an improved, reliable athlete. And she has an " iffy " back. This team is more shaky than loaded. They will be fun to watch, but only if Lady Luck decides to favor UCONN women's Basketball once again.
That’s one way (the brutally objective way) of looking at it. The other way is to look at the rankings of all the players on this roster. 1,1, 5, 15, 23, 21, 4, 5, 6, 15, 41, + 3 foreign players; one of whom is two time Big East defensive POY, another the most sought after foreign post from her recruiting year, and a PG who played on her country’s national team!
Now you can point to injuries, failure (so far) to live up to potential, inexperience in real College games, but what you cannot say, is that this team is not one of the most loaded teams ever. I’m not willing to do the research required to actually identify the most loaded team ever, but I’d be willing to bet that this team isn’t far off.
If you assign a numerical ranking to Jana, Nika, and Ines, let’s say 40 for Jana, 50 for Nika, and 65 for Ines, (more than fair imo) then the overall team average for all 14 players would be 21! I doubt you can find a roster of 14 with an average close to that! Let’s be clear, I agree that these numbers don’t mean squat till they produce on court but based on how the sport rates it’s own players, this team is majorly ”loaded”!

Reaction Score
That’s one way (the brutally objective way) of looking at it. The other way is to look at the rankings of all the players on this roster. 1,1, 5, 15, 23, 21, 4, 5, 6, 15, 41, + 3 foreign players; one of whom is two time Big East defensive POY, another the most sought after foreign post from her recruiting year, and a PG who played on her country’s national team!
Now you can point to injuries, failure (so far) to live up to potential, inexperience in real College games, but what you cannot say, is that this team is not one of the most loaded teams ever. I’m not willing to do the research required to actually identify the most loaded team ever, but I’d be willing to bet that this team isn’t far off.
If you assign a numerical ranking to Jana, Nika, and Ines, let’s say 40 for Jana, 50 for Nika, and 65 for Ines, (more than fair imo) then the overall team average for all 14 players would be 21! I doubt you can find a roster of 14 with an average close to that! Let’s be clear, I agree that these numbers don’t mean squat till they produce on court but based on how the sport rates it’s own players, this team is majorly ”loaded”!
The first half of your last sentence is correct and is why the most successful coaches in the country have their own ratings and lists. The sport doesn't rate it's own players, it's a handful of website owners who toss their opinions out to the public for clicks and subscriptions. The best recruiter around, Auriemma, pays so little attention to them that he has offered a valuable scholarship and accepted the commitment of a kid from Ireland in a class two years away that he's most likely never seen play. Most coaches have trusted contacts plus their own eyes and their staffs that they rely on. Not these constantly changing jumbles of numbers, their only use is for fans to predict their team's next NC.

Reaction Score
The first half of your last sentence is correct and is why the most successful coaches in the country have their own ratings and lists. The sport doesn't rate it's own players, it's a handful of website owners who toss their opinions out to the public for clicks and subscriptions. The best recruiter around, Auriemma, pays so little attention to them that he has offered a valuable scholarship and accepted the commitment of a kid from Ireland in a class two years away that he's most likely never seen play. Most coaches have trusted contacts plus their own eyes and their staffs that they rely on. Not these constantly changing jumbles of numbers, their only use is for fans to predict their team's next NC.
Yeah, easy to point to someone that’s not even on the ratings lists! You are correct that coaches rate players on their own but isn’t it funny how most of the highly ranked players on the ranking lists are also the most highly sought after! Just because Geno offered the Irish girl or the Egyptian girl has no connection with the validity of the domestic ranking services. I’m not saying they get everything close to right but they are not completely useless either! They provide a basic estimate mostly for fans. Where were Paige, Maya, Breanna, and Dee ranked? Seems like Geno agreed with those rankings! Probably the most sought after recruit in the 2024 class is Sarah Strong, a player Geno desperately wants! ( some believe he already has her) She is ranked #2! Qadence was #41. Could Geno have gotten Chloe Kitts, Montoya Dew, Madison Booker, Cassandra Prosper etc, all similar players to Q? Maybe! He went hard after Ciera Toomey! Clearly, he saw something in Q and is happy with her. As am I! However, that doesn’t mean she’s a better player than all those players or even that she was his first choice! A coach would have to be a fool to wholly base his/her recruiting on the ranking services! That still does not make them useless or always wrong.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yeah, easy to point to someone that’s not even on the ratings lists! You are correct that coaches rate players on their own but isn’t it funny how most of the highly ranked players on the ranking lists are also the most highly sought after! Just because Geno offered the Irish girl or the Egyptian girl has no connection with the validity of the domestic ranking services. I’m not saying they get everything close to right but they are not completely useless either! They provide a basic estimate mostly for fans. Where were Paige, Maya, Breanna, and Dee ranked? Seems like Geno agreed with those rankings! Probably the most sought after recruit in the 2024 class is Sarah Strong, a player Geno desperately wants! ( some believe he already has her) She is ranked #2! Qadence was #41. Could Geno have gotten Chloe Kitts, Montoya Dew, Madison Booker, Cassandra Prosper etc, all similar players to Q? Maybe! He went hard after Ciera Toomey! Clearly, he saw something in Q and is happy with her. As am I! However, that doesn’t mean she’s a better player than all those players or even that she was his first choice! A coach would have to be a fool to wholly base his/her recruiting on the ranking services! That still does not make them useless or always wrong.
I worked with HoopGurlz as a scout years ago. When we got together to create criteria for rankings, it was a big discussion.

• Do we rank players on what we see now, when they’re still high school students? Or do we try to project how their college career will turn out? Some wanted to rank on projections of the player’s likelihood of being a pro.
  • We discussed the fact that it made little sense to rank, say, point guards and centers on the same list because their skill sets were vastly different. However, “people like lists” was the upshot so we made one that ranked every position
  • Some scouts love uber-athletic players, even if they’re a little raw, and ranked them higher while some preferred a more skilled player.
  • We also considered on-court demeanor, teamwork, and attitude. Did she sulk when she missed shot? Did she get aggressive with refs over calls? Was she uninterested in the game when on the bench?
  • What to do with a consensus top player that’s injured? Is it fair to leave her on the rankings while others are still playing?
  • There was always an acknowledgment that there weren’t enough scouts to cover every tourney, every high school, or even every state. Magnificent players could be unranked because no one had seen her, especially if the family lacked funds to put her in a high profile AAU team
Rankings are 100% subjective and each list has its own criteria. I liked the HoopGurlz one at the time because we were a panel and not one person making a list, as is the case with a couple rankings. I don’t lose any sleep over player rankings as a result

Reaction Score
1) Yeah, those were real difficult kids to rank. It must have taken many months of research to come up with a number for them. ;) And I doubt that Auriemma even read those rankings. He probably figured them out on his own.
2) I agree, not useless. Great for some fans as a guidepost to get excited and argue about. Past results against HS kids not a guarantee of future performance. Point is that upper level college coaches don't take rankings as seriously as fans do.

Reaction Score
Agree
1) Yeah, those were real difficult kids to rank. It must have taken many months of research to come up with a number for them. ;) And I doubt that Auriemma even read those rankings. He probably figured them out on his own.
2) I agree, not useless. Great for some fans as a guidepost to get excited and argue about. Past results against HS kids not a guarantee of future performance. Point is that upper level college coaches don't take rankings as seriously as fans do.
Agreed!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom