Geno Speaketh | The Boneyard

Geno Speaketh

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
" I knew it was coming, and I knew it was a difficult matchup for us and I knew we weren’t going to be ready for it because I could just feel it. It was almost like a perfect storm …”

“I was telling [the seniors] in the locker room that they live in a fantasy world. I said this is the way the rest of the world lives -- tough games on the road where you have to suck it up and make big plays toward the end," Auriemma said. "I told them they’re just never in that situation enough because you live in a make believe world. Today they lived in the real world, and I was proud of them because they got tested and they came out with flying colors.”

UConn escapes Oklahoma with a 72-63 win after trailing majority of game - Hartford Courant

And Lou on the tardy freshman: “Coach challenged her at half time, basically, and said ‘You need to get involved and you need to contribute,’ and that was something that made her react and made her step up,” Samuelson said. “So that just shows what she kind of does for us and how we can rely on her. If she’s having a bad game she can step up and turn it on for us. She could’ve just as easily not done anything the whole game for us, but she really picked it up and really helped us.”

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
On Pheesa: “Napheesa Collier is the hardest-working player in America. … She was like a one-man wrecking crew inside,” Auriemma said.

No. 1 UConn rallies from double-digit deficit to win at Oklahoma

And, almost funny: “We think that … every shot we shoot is supposed to go in,” Auriemma said, sarcastically. “And when it doesn’t, we’re appalled and we like lose our mind. ‘How did that not go in? That always goes in.’ They don’t go in sometimes, so let’s figure out a different way to win.”

Reaction Score
Geno is correct. You don’t go on the road after exams with a bunch of kids, a ten day layoff before Christmas break with jet lag and win games by thirty points. That is a fantasy world. Last nights game is reality and how the rest of the basketball world lives.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
In Geno's interview earlier this week, you could sense his worry about this game. He talked about the layoff, exams and practice. And he knows Sherri and how she prepares her players for big games. He knew their record was not indicative of how they could play.

So, dispite the ugly, disjointed game we played, we can out with a win. every game like this present teachable moment. Geno will not waste that moment.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I hope that they remember this game during the Xmas break before the Baylor game in Waco.
However, I don't see how Baylor could play at OU's pace for 5 minutes, let alone a full game.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Two years ago Geno talked about scheduling to give his team a loss during the season. Now that's hyperbole, but he did want them tested. The failure of that happening contributed to the Miss St loss. As Geno said, I knew this was coming, I just wish it had happened earlier. In many ways this was a perfect storm. A talented, albeit young, hungry team, coached by a great coach in their place versus a tired thin squad who just came off exam break. We were tested but fought through it and came back. That's an important lesson.

Reaction Score
Two years ago Geno talked about scheduling to give his team a loss during the season. Now that's hyperbole, but he did want them tested. The failure of that happening contributed to the Miss St loss. As Geno said, I knew this was coming, I just wish it had happened earlier. In many ways this was a perfect storm. A talented, albeit young, hungry team, coached by a great coach in their place versus a tired thin squad who just came off exam break. We were tested but fought through it and came back. That's an important lesson.
I don't believe in this. Just ten games earlier, win #101 during The Streak was decided at the buzzer by a single possession, on the road I believe. Clearly that very fresh lesson of dealing with adversity in a game did not help when facing Miss St just six weeks later, so I don't buy it when Geno says his team needs to lose or face a difficult time to learn something, because they never seem to get anything out of the lesson, do they? I believe there are some nights the team will suck and other nights they will be awesome. They are human.

Reaction Score
" I knew it was coming, and I knew it was a difficult matchup for us and I knew we weren’t going to be ready for it because I could just feel it. It was almost like a perfect storm …”

“I was telling [the seniors] in the locker room that they live in a fantasy world. I said this is the way the rest of the world lives -- tough games on the road where you have to suck it up and make big plays toward the end," Auriemma said. "I told them they’re just never in that situation enough because you live in a make believe world. Today they lived in the real world, and I was proud of them because they got tested and they came out with flying colors.”

UConn escapes Oklahoma with a 72-63 win after trailing majority of game - Hartford Courant

And Lou on the tardy freshman: “Coach challenged her at half time, basically, and said ‘You need to get involved and you need to contribute,’ and that was something that made her react and made her step up,” Samuelson said. “So that just shows what she kind of does for us and how we can rely on her. If she’s having a bad game she can step up and turn it on for us. She could’ve just as easily not done anything the whole game for us, but she really picked it up and really helped us.”
Did anyone say something similar to the tardy sophomore at half time? Megan cannot possibly be the person who was the number one recruit out of High School two years ago. She couldn't make an open lay-up. Do we all simply say, " she is still feeling the effects of strep throat?" I hope there is a reason, because we want and need her to be great also.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't believe in this. Just ten games earlier, win #101 during The Streak was decided at the buzzer by a single possession, on the road I believe. Clearly that very fresh lesson of dealing with adversity in a game did not help when facing Miss St just six weeks later, so I don't buy it when Geno says his team needs to lose or face a difficult time to learn something, because they never seem to get anything out of the lesson, do they? I believe there are some nights the team will suck and other nights they will be awesome. They are human.
I understand what you are saying, but games like last night when shot aren't dropping and things aren't going right are a lesson in finding ways to win. I think they are helpful.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Did anyone say something similar to the tardy sophomore at half time? Megan cannot possibly be the person who was the number one recruit out of High School two years ago. She couldn't make an open lay-up. Do we all simply say, " she is still feeling the effects of strep throat?" I hope there is a reason, because we want and need her to be great also.

Some players (a few) do not especially profit from the UConn coaching style...for a very few...the freshman shock is something they never quite get over no matter how highly ranked in HS.

Here's hoping that Megan dos not turn out to be one of those cases.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

So you don't think having an infection with fevers, on antibiotics, not eating or drinking and studying for final exams would not affect a kid's ability to play in her first game back? Wow. I hope you're this tough on yourself.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

What bothered me was the lack of poise in the face of an even younger team that displayed much greater poise...

And which until the end, repeatedly positioned themselves for good shots...more so than us.

Not great D on our part, nor off-ball hustle...must have been a shocker
though.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I hope that they remember this game during the Xmas break before the Baylor game in Waco.
However, I don't see how Baylor could play at OU's pace for 5 minutes, let alone a full game.

OU slowed the pace down though, especially in the second half. A few of those OU players were gassed in the 4th quarter. Forcing UConn to play at a slower pace is the way to win.

Reaction Score
So you don't think having an infection with fevers, on antibiotics, not eating or drinking and studying for final exams would not affect a kid's ability to play in her first game back? Wow. I hope you're this tough on yourself.
Given all this, I felt last night it was unfair to start Megan and put her in that position. It takes time to come back when you've been sidelined for weeks. I would have started Kyla as had been done the previous games, and then subbed in Megan as the game allowed. I'm not a basketball expert or anything, but to me that seemed like a reasonably conservative approach to bringing an injured player back into game shape.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Did we not say that UCONN would likely lose at least 1 game this year and have closer games (ie. less 30 point blowouts and more games won in the 15-20 point range)? Well the SJU game, ND game and now Oklahoma game are giving evidence that this teams margin (as we thought) is much smaller than in the past.

I expect a few more games like this - even in conference play. I could see a team like UCF learning from this and playing UCONN slow and physical. Not saying it WILL happen, but this team needs to be "on" almost every time the step on the court to avoid nail biters like this...

Of course we will still enjoy numerous blowouts in league play, but things are changing. Next season (losing Lou and Pheesa) will be like this one, only on steroids...!

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This may have been discussed in other threads, but OU threw something at UConn that they obviously were not ready for and did not respond well to.

The Sooners picked up the Huskies very high in an aggressive man-to-man defense which prevented UConn from running their motion offense effectively. It is a high risk defense that creates opportunities for back door cuts and one on one drives to the basket.

UConn did run some back door cuts and they also had some drives to the basket, but their execution was poor. The Huskies turned the ball over numerous times trying to run back door plays, and they also missed a boatload of layups on drives to the basket. Crystal alone probably missed a half dozen layups.

I expect other teams to try out the same defense against UConn. I also expect the Huskies to be ready for it the next time they see it.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
And I still wonder why we didn’t press an inexperienced team to force the pace out of their comfort zone and into more turnovers. Coombs would’ve been useful and would’ve allowed some rest for a few starters in a higher tempo game.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
And I still wonder why we didn’t press an inexperienced team to force the pace out of their comfort zone and into more turnovers. Coombs would’ve been useful and would’ve allowed some rest for a few starters in a higher tempo game.

Geno seemed content to play at the slow pace. Unlike other games, he had no problem with Crystal walking the ball up the court. Seemed to help OU players who looked gassed at times. I'm guessing he didn't trust the bench and didn't want to wear out Megan. He needed her on the court. Coombs has yet to prove useful in a tight game. She plays too out of control on offense and doesn't help space the floor.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Geno seemed content to play at the slow pace. Unlike other games, he had no problem with Crystal walking the ball up the court. Seemed to help OU players who looked gassed at times. I'm guessing he didn't trust the bench and didn't want to wear out Megan. He needed her on the court. Coombs has yet to prove useful in a tight game. She plays too out of control on offense and doesn't help space the floor.
But maybe it’s not a tight game if they press and Coombs is used for her defense to spell a few starters. She obviously isn’t a reliable scorer in a close game. But hey, they won.

Reaction Score
I would also ask folks to realize Meg was not the only one to miss layups...as some seem to be harping on. I did not count them during the game, and I am NOT re-watching that game...but as I recall, nearly every UCONN player missed bunnies...often 2 or 3 on the same possession. As tough as Pheesa played, several of her Offensive Rebounds were on bunnies she missed...back to back on at least one occasion I clearly recall. The bottom line... ALL played like shiza... until they came to the realization that they were NOT playing like UCONN and "tonight is NOT the night we're going to lose"... Let's all put this in the rear-view mirror and move on to CAL... UCONN is still #1, and still undefeated... support them and cheer them on positively. :);):cool::D

Reaction Score
On Pheesa: “Napheesa Collier is the hardest-working player in America. … She was like a one-man wrecking crew inside,” Auriemma said.

No. 1 UConn rallies from double-digit deficit to win at Oklahoma

And, almost funny: “We think that … every shot we shoot is supposed to go in,” Auriemma said, sarcastically. “And when it doesn’t, we’re appalled and we like lose our mind. ‘How did that not go in? That always goes in.’ They don’t go in sometimes, so let’s figure out a different way to win.”[/QUOTE]

That speech: Is a canned speech it has been used and used a number of times--and a few times with this team.
Good team bad team feed off of each other. Usually they look to the Senior for stability and to keep the coring going. When that fails, confusion reigns; it is not uncommon. Geno over the years rides his teams for not having the Killer instinct knowing if you don't stay ahead you give the opponent hopes and hope leads to baskets. He should just drag out the video or audio tape and play --"every shot we shoot-----

Reaction Score
This may have been discussed in other threads, but OU threw something at UConn that they obviously were not ready for and did not respond well to.

The Sooners picked up the Huskies very high in an aggressive man-to-man defense which prevented UConn from running their motion offense effectively. It is a high risk defense that creates opportunities for back door cuts and one on one drives to the basket.

UConn did run some back door cuts and they also had some drives to the basket, but their execution was poor. The Huskies turned the ball over numerous times trying to run back door plays, and they also missed a boatload of layups on drives to the basket. Crystal alone probably missed a half dozen layups.

I expect other teams to try out the same defense against UConn. I also expect the Huskies to be ready for it the next time they see it.
Agreement. I especially expect the OU defense to be repeated. Quick, determined players are needed.
Add to a good game plan, excellent execution you must add that OU shot their brains out. Early on the Zone stretched out a bit did have a defensive effect until good dribble driving scorers were not stopped. OU is a team of Frosh and sophs. Does not mean they can't play. UConn could not get their valued fastbreak game going. Years ago Sherri admonished her team to not let UConn turn that game into a UConn Layup drill--it seems she may have used that again and for the most part they didn't.
We seem to forget other teams also play to win and play to stop. Sometimes with excellent UConn talent UConn has troubles--I site the Ms UC game or UC--ND game last april as examples. Even Geno in Ms St game had no adjustment to fix Napheesa or Gabby inability to score when needed. Some of that messy stuff just happens--human's cant fix everything all the time That's why the game is played!! Loved it.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Some players (a few) do not especially profit from the UConn coaching style...for a very few...the freshman shock is something they never quite get over no matter how highly ranked in HS.

Here's hoping that Megan dos not turn out to be one of those cases.
...and sometimes the HS rank is wrong, just ask Mercedes Russell, Lauren Cox or Joyner Holmes...it’s still too soon to tell on Meg

Reaction Score
I believe that if I were the best HS player in the nation two years ago, and had played a full season under UCONN coaching, I could make an uncontested lay-up if I had bubonic plague.

Reaction Score
Geno is correct. You don’t go on the road after exams with a bunch of kids, a ten day layoff before Christmas break with jet lag and win games by thirty points. That is a fantasy world. Last nights game is reality and how the rest of the basketball world lives.
Good motivation from Geno but not sure I agree its fantasy. This is UConn with the longest win streaks and most National Championships in most (all?) sports.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom