Geno slams door on Tenn game talk | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Geno slams door on Tenn game talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

JS

Reaction Score
Edit: Can anyone think of another school with produce as a mascot? I guess the Orange.
You haven't noticed this guy hanging around?

images

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
They really should call them the stewed okras.

Edit: Can anyone think of another school with produce as a mascot? I guess the Orange.
Closest I can think of is the Green Terror (McDaniel College) which is another name for asparagus.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Pat is not in the equation. She has told Holly that she is OK with renewing the rivalry with Connecticut if that is what Holly wants. However, after Geno's recent comments, that is not going to happen any time soon--at least during the regular season. Right now, Holly is not on thin ice. Over 13,000 fans saw UT soundly defeat Stanford. And in the next month or so we will play Oregon State, Texas A&M, Kentucky, Georgia, and Notre Dame. Let's see how those games turn out before writing Holly's obituary. LOL

Excuse me, but how do you know this to be true? Honest question.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Excuse me, but how do you know this to be true? Honest question.
I'm assuming that if PHS had ever said something like that: 1. It would have been big news and many articles would have been written about it. 2. The subject would have been endlessly discussed on the Summitt and VolNation. 3. It would have gotten some attention on the BY.

The closest any accounts have that PHS has given up on her opposition to the series is that she and Geno have shaken hands and said a few complimentary things about each other in recent years, but the impetus for that was the reaction to the news about PHS's Alzheimer's. Additionally, there were some thoughts going around two years ago that a UConn-UTenn game to benefit Alzheimer's research and other charities could be a way to get the teams back together. But the key to unlock the door is still that apology for UTenn's behavior and PHS's public attacks on Geno's integrity around the time that Vol football coach Bruce Pearl was being dumped for scandalous recruitment violations. PHS said she had no problem with what Pearl did (which was very bad) but that she did with Geno's actions, so that painted UConn very very bad since she was saying a Husky WCBB coach was worse than a totally unethical UTenn football coach.

No apology, no resumption of series, and no he's not just "getting over it."

Reaction Score
Just some thoughts:

1. We need to cut Geno some 'cultural' slack if he's holding a grudge (annual reminder: "Vendetta" is an Italian word)

2. UCONN WBB nor any other WCBB entity has any negotiating leverage with ESPN (as in ..."hold them up for $20 million to play TN"). ESPN has done WBB a huge favor by televising college and WNBA games very few people watch.

3. As far as I care we can ignore Tennessee into obscurity. If we ever play them in the NCAAs we should unapologetically beat them like a stepchild for all 4 quarters.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Oops, my bad. Bruce Pearl was of course the UTenn basketball coach whose series of recruitment violations and attempted cover up led to his being eventually fired and banned from college coaching for three years, though of course the NCAA tapped UTenn with only minimal punishment despite the major recruiting violations, and there was nothing like a suspension from NCAA tourney play because this is an SEC program after all.

PHS in her usual forthright manner said she had no problem with Pearl's proven recruiting violations and cover-up, but she certainly did have major issues with Geno's imagined crimes.

The story with UTenn football has been even worse, as PHS's good friend Lane Kiffin ran off to USC before there was punishment for the dozens of violations including sending "recruiting hostesses" to high schools to bring in players for the Vols program. Kiffin had already infuriated just about everybody by making unproven charges against other SEC coaches like Spurrier and Meyer during his one year at UTenn, but in the wake of a series of football scandals that earned the Vols some laughably mild punishments such as a "public reprimand," all PHS could say at the time of Kiffin's departure was that she was disappointed that he was leaving. Subsequently, the probation period had to be extended as news of more violations poured forth and some UTenn players publicly admitted they were receiving money to play football, which a few years down the road now will be more permissible, though not through the booster agents who were funneling cash to the Vol players. But again, all PHS would say was that she was proud of her school and its fine traditions.

So whether it's UTenn or the NCAA or ESPN, there's a lot of double standards floating around, so it's understandable if Geno wishes to avoid any further connection with an oozy situation.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Amazing how you can add the word "Fighting" on to just just about anything, whether Pickles or Okra, and maybe Creampuffs, Yams, and Rutabagas and get yourself a self-respecting kind of mascot. There's the Fighting Irish to add some fire to basically inoffensive and harmless ND teams, and the Fighting Sioux (ND), Fighting Scots (Edinboro PA and Macalester and Maryville and Wooster and many others), Fighting Illini (Illinois), Fighting Maroons (overseas, U. of Philippines) plus many high school teams that will fight over Conches, Planets, Mules, Bees, Fishermen, and all those Battling teams such as the Battling Bishops (OH and NC Wesleyan) and even a HS Battling Bathers team (sumo wrestling team does belly-flop dives).

So mascots are often meant to be a bit weird, but certainly no school in the country can outdo the Rhode Island School of Design Nads (hockey), Balls (basketball), the aptly named cheerleading squad that "supports" the basketball team, and their mascot that can only make you say, for Pete's sake. May still though be more tasteful than the antics of Stanford's Tree mascot. But I guess that's what college is all about.

Reaction Score

Fair question. When asked, Holly said in a meeting with reporters last week that she had talked to Pat about playing Connecticut and that Pat said she was OK with it and that it was Holly's decision on whether or not to pursue it.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Fair question. When asked, Holly said in a meeting with reporters last week that she had talked to Pat about playing Connecticut and that Pat said she was OK with it and that it was Holly's decision on whether or not to pursue it.
Interesting that there appears to be no discussion on VolNation, the Summitt, up to now the BY, or any articles in the Horde reporting about PHS giving her blessing to resuming the series. But yes Cookeville news has a mention of it, buried down at the bottom. She's "okay" with it, maybe even "fine" with it.

But still, the attitude is "no big deal" if UConn doesn't want to play us, and we're not going to "beg" anyone to play us, "especially not UConn." So nothing has really changed, no apology of even a halfway sort like "we're sorry about past misunderstandings" is even considered, and again Geno is being painted down there as the "&##!@*&%$#" because it is he who is preventing a renewal of the series now. Typical Vol behavior, and again there is a big reason why Geno wants to avoid any connection with the UTenn program.

Reaction Score
Awesome! I hope we never play them again either. :D
I sure can't say that because I live 1.5 hours from Knoxville and I really miss the short drive to go see them play. Stuck to SNY for most of the games but it's better than being stuck with WTIC. I'd love to have the Lady Vol game back on again!!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Interesting that there appears to be no discussion on VolNation, the Summitt, up to now the BY, or any articles in the Horde reporting about PHS giving her blessing to resuming the series. But yes Cookeville news has a mention of it, buried down at the bottom. She's "okay" with it, maybe even "fine" with it.

But still, the attitude is "no big deal" if UConn doesn't want to play us, and we're not going to "beg" anyone to play us, "especially not UConn." So nothing has really changed, no apology of even a halfway sort like "we're sorry about past misunderstandings" is even considered, and again Geno is being painted down there as the "&##!@*&%$#" because it is he who is preventing a renewal of the series now. Typical Vol behavior, and again there is a big reason why Geno wants to avoid any connection with the UTenn program.
Good points. I'm not sure that the coaches have anything to do with the following, but the fan bases couldn't be further apart. Without bringing smut over here, I will say they continue to perpetuate the falsehood that Geno is a cheater, and because he runs a cheating (and other pejoratives) program, it's why he's gotten the best recruits and had so much success.

Maybe it's not something the casual fan believes, but certainly their message board fan base believes it. Does that trickle down for the coaches/former coach? Not sure, but it's food for thought...

Reaction Score
Good points. I'm not sure that the coaches have anything to do with the following, but the fan bases couldn't be further apart. Without bringing smut over here, I will say they continue to perpetuate the falsehood that Geno is a cheater, and because he runs a cheating (and other pejoratives) program, it's why he's gotten the best recruits and had so much success.

Maybe it's not something the casual fan believes, but certainly their message board fan base believes it. Does that trickle down for the coaches/former coach? Not sure, but it's food for thought...
They're still arguing about how someone like Maya's mom who apparently lived in such squalor in Georgia she could have starred in a Sally Struthers commerical, could have possibly afforded a condo in an expensive city like Storrs without some Cam Newton-style payola.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
They're still arguing about how someone like Maya's mom who apparently lived in such squalor in Georgia she could have starred in a Sally Struthers commerical, could have possibly afforded a condo in an expensive city like Storrs without some Cam Newton-style payola.
Magic. And Santa Claus...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'd punch something orange now, but I don't allow it in my house! With PS's illness it has become politically incorrect to accurately observe what an imperious starts with a B ends with an H she always was. It was funny to see how the "devil face" would be captured on national TV when DT was spanking Tenn's fanny. Now we have the ESPN SEC incest and that brings us their romance with the Tyler Summit, I did not earn it, coaching experience which has me throwing up in my mouth every time I visit their WCBB page. Where am I going with this? I have no idea. Thouht I'd act like one of the more temperate Tenn fans talking about UConn or Geno!

Reaction Score
I'd punch something orange now, but I don't allow it in my house! With PS's illness it has become politically incorrect to accurately observe what an imperious starts with a B ends with an H she always was. It was funny to see how the "devil face" would be captured on national TV when DT was spanking Tenn's fanny. Now we have the ESPN SEC incest and that brings us their romance with the Tyler Summit, I did not earn it, coaching experience which has me throwing up in my mouth every time I visit their WCBB page. Where am I going with this? I have no idea. Thouht I'd act like one of the more temperate Tenn fans talking about UConn or Geno!
I will admit some of what they allege has me thinking because there were some unusual things there with respect to Maya's mom, but I come back to the fact that if the NCAA could nail UConn for something they would.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
How excellent is this... Quite the parable... Or better yet, a sermon about the mount...

Agree. The image in my mind has always been this:

di%202%20top%20of%20world.jpg

Pat stands alone atop the . . . ah, summit of WCBB, enjoying the view, the adulation for being the sport's greatest climber. The best ever. Unchallenged, except . . . what's this?

Here comes somebody else. He's climbing faster than she did, looking up and grinning at her. Nearing the top he calls out "Took you long enough! Make room!"

Jealous of her stature, she fails to find camaraderie much less any humor in the situation. As he grasps the final rock to haul himself up, she steps on his fingers.

But he makes it up anyway and, after looking at her kind of funny, says "You know, I bet we could climb to higher places than this little hill."

"If you'll excuse me," she says, "I have to go file a report with the climbing association. I just know you cheated with a helicopter to get part of the way up here."

And the rest is history.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"because there were some unusual things there with respect to Maya's mom,"....Oh Hoopsfan21 you may not live to 22! You can now live in Knoxville rent free. Total BS innocently passed forward by you! My sympathies.

Reaction Score
"because there were some unusual things there with respect to Maya's mom,"....Oh Hoopsfan21 you may not live to 22! You can now live in Knoxville rent free. Total BS innocently passed forward by you! My sympathies.
I didn't say UConn did anything wrong, just that I could see why they think it because of the irregular situation.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I didn't say UConn did anything wrong, just that I could see why they think it because of the irregular situation.

Not content with one foot, you stuck the second one in Pal! As a great baseball announcer would frequently say: Holy Cow! Begging you, stop now!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom