Geno says next season will be UConn's best chance for a national championship since 2016 | The Boneyard

Geno says next season will be UConn's best chance for a national championship since 2016

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Geno has been reading my posts. I've been saying that all season. :cool:

“If we can stay healthy and avoid some of the pitfalls that we've had the last two years, the team that we have coming back, mixed in with the players that we've recruited that are coming in, I think we will have the best chance to win a national championship since 2016,” he said. “Everything has to has to fall into place,” Auriemma said. “And I don't want to say, like, we deserve it. But we deserve a break.”

Reaction Score
I would agree. If everyone stays healthy, everyone works on their game and comes back with a new mindset, we develop a pressing system on defense; 2-2-1, 1-2-1-1, something that will get the team playing aggressive, next season could be something special.

Reaction Score
And they all get an extra month to gel because of the European trip. Can't wait to watch them in Europe on YouTube this summer.:)
And I think that extra month is going to be a huge plus for the team. I can't wait to watch them play on YouTube either.

Reaction Score
It was too bad we couldn't send Dorka and Lou off with a parade this weekend, so hopefully in a year from now we can give Aaliyah, Paige, Aubrey, and Nika a proper basketball capital of the world send off!

Reaction Score
I agree. I think this offseason is key. I want Paige, Azzi, Caroline, Edwards and Ice Brady to rest, heal, and recover. No basketball activities until training camp.

I want Geno and his staff to vacation to tropical islands in between recruiting trips. This offseason is rest and recovery.

Reaction Score
I would agree. If everyone stays healthy, everyone works on their game and comes back with a new mindset, we develop a pressing system on defense; 2-2-1, 1-2-1-1, something that will get the team playing aggressive, next season could be something special.
Still need to find a way to get by South Carolina. Front court is huge again with Cardozo at 6’7”, Amihere at 6’4”, and Watkins at 6’3”.

Reaction Score
I agree. I think this offseason is key. I want Paige, Azzi, Caroline, Edwards and Ice Brady to rest, heal, and recover. No basketball activities until training camp.

I want Geno and his staff to vacation to tropical islands in between recruiting trips. This offseason is rest and recovery.

Pretty sure there will be plenty of basketball activities. These girls never rest

Carnac

Reaction Score

Amen!!! ;)

Reaction Score
Still need to find a way to get by South Carolina. Front court is huge again with Cardozo at 6’7”, Amihere at 6’4”, and Watkins at 6’3”.
Just not having Boston (she's going pro, isn't she?) will help tremendously. She is/was just so strong, and she also had some kind of referree whistle repellant that was very effective at keeping her in the game.

Reaction Score
Yep, next year is make or break for this generation of UConn players imo

Carnac

Reaction Score
Yep, next year is make or break for this generation of UConn players imo
This is reported to be Paige's last year at UConn. That's one reason why most Husky fans believe it now or never. Paige should be preparing for the WNBA draft this time next year, despite having eligibility remaining. She reported earlier that she would return for one more year to play with Azzi.

Reaction Score
This is reported to be Paige's last year at UConn. That's one reason why most Husky fans believe it now or never. Paige should be preparing for the WNBA draft this time next year, despite having eligibility remaining. She reported earlier that she would return for one more year to play with Azzi.

I don't remember hearing that. I believe she said her college career wasn't over yet. When was it said this coming year would be her last?

Reaction Score
I love Coach Staley and watching South Carolina play but Iowa had a pretty good game plan and with a 100% healthy roster, we follow Iowa's blueprint, UConn can get past South Carolina.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
And they all get an extra month to gel because of the European trip. Can't wait to watch them in Europe on YouTube this summer.:)
If I remember correctly, the incoming freshmen will not be allowed to travel with the team to Europe. Its been a while, but pretty sure that's the case. On the other hand, since Jana enrolled last year she would be eligible to go with the team. It would have been a great time for them to bond and practice with the team before they have to report to campus.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
If I remember correctly, the incoming freshmen will not be allowed to travel with the team to Europe. Its been a while, but pretty sure that's the case. On the other hand, since Jana enrolled last year she would be eligible to go with the team. It would have been a great time for them to bond and practice with the team before they have to report to campus.
Freshmen can go, per this article dated 2020:
"They can only go every four years, so ideally for a program everybody would get to experience it. Incoming freshmen can go, so when they’re graduating seniors they would’ve already been gone when another freshmen class goes."

However:
"If you’re following along with your favorite team and see that an undergraduate or graduate transfer is not joining the team for the tour, the NCAA permits a NCAA Basketball player to only partake in a foreign tour with one institution. If that transfer has participated in a foreign tour with their previous university, they are unable to participate in another foreign tour with their new institution. Incoming freshman, however, is able to participate in their team’s foreign tours."

Reaction Score
Just not having Boston (she's going pro, isn't she?) will help tremendously. She is/was just so strong, and she also had some kind of referree whistle repellant that was very effective at keeping her in the game.
Amihere declared for the draft, and Watkins is as wet behind the ears as Patterson was last year. This front court is not a formidable as UConn's will be.

Reaction Score
SC will not be an issue if we play UConn ball. They lost 7 players. Boston, Beal, Amihere, Fletcher, Saxton, Cooke and Thompson. Cardoso is the only player with any substantial playing experience.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Freshmen can go, per this article dated 2020:
"They can only go every four years, so ideally for a program everybody would get to experience it. Incoming freshmen can go, so when they’re graduating seniors they would’ve already been gone when another freshmen class goes."

However:
"If you’re following along with your favorite team and see that an undergraduate or graduate transfer is not joining the team for the tour, the NCAA permits a NCAA Basketball player to only partake in a foreign tour with one institution. If that transfer has participated in a foreign tour with their previous university, they are unable to participate in another foreign tour with their new institution. Incoming freshman, however, is able to participate in their team’s foreign tours."
Thanks for the clarification. That would be a pretty lousy trip if ALL 14 roster players could not go. :confused:

Reaction Score
Someone already said it above and it is to have a "healthy" team will be a key factor. If Paige and Azzi can get by bad legs, and Caroline truly recover from a concussion, then yeah, maybe. Nothing is for sure. But, then again, there is always a contrarian like me that says the safeway to a final four is going to be with 6ft 5 inch players or above that are busters in the paint. South Carolina really showed that these big players are essential to getting defensive rebounds but extremely important in getting the offensive rebound and scoring. That is how South Carolina wins so many games. If UConn wants to get that 12th National Championship, it needs Jana and another monster in there that will get those offensive rebounds and score.

Reaction Score
Geno has been reading my posts. I've been saying that all season. :cool:

“If we can stay healthy and avoid some of the pitfalls that we've had the last two years, the team that we have coming back, mixed in with the players that we've recruited that are coming in, I think we will have the best chance to win a national championship since 2016,” he said. “Everything has to has to fall into place,” Auriemma said. “And I don't want to say, like, we deserve it. But we deserve a break.”

If everyone is healthy the backcourt appears loaded for bear.
I think a lot of it depends on the performance of the bigs which at this point is a substantial unknown.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Someone already said it above and it is to have a "healthy" team will be a key factor. If Paige and Azzi can get by bad legs, and Caroline truly recover from a concussion, then yeah, maybe. Nothing is for sure. But, then again, there is always a contrarian like me that says the safeway to a final four is going to be with 6ft 5 inch players or above that are busters in the paint. South Carolina really showed that these big players are essential to getting defensive rebounds but extremely important in getting the offensive rebound and scoring. That is how South Carolina wins so many games. If UConn wants to get that 12th National Championship, it needs Jana and another monster in there that will get those offensive rebounds and score.
Send your post to Iowa and see if they agree with you. :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom