Geno Rides Off Into the Sunset | The Boneyard

Geno Rides Off Into the Sunset

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Before the championship game, John Bronsteen wrote that Geno would ride off into the sunset with his three seniors. Also, Katie Lou is not a superstar a la D, Maya or Breanna. He was very complimentary about the program as a whole and hoped Geno would stay to coach this year. Geno, CD, Shea and Marissa will all be back with a talented young roster. They always seem to find a way. When was the last time a women's college basketball team won without a great player or two?

Reaction Score
My guess is that it was John Feinstein, who has basketball credentials if not those of a seer.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not getting the point. If Bronsteen wrote that Geno would "ride off into the sunset with his 3 seniors", to me that means the writer thought he'd retire from UCONN after this past season. He "hoped" Geno would be back to coach this season? Good grief - there were ZERO signs Geno would retire after last season. Not only didn't happen, but Geno shows no signs of slowing down, and I bet he lasts at least 4-5 more years, and possibly quite a bit longer.

Reaction Score
Before the championship game, John Bronsteen wrote that Geno would ride off into the sunset with his three seniors. Also, Katie Lou is not a superstar a la D, Maya or Breanna. He was very complimentary about the program as a whole and hoped Geno would stay to coach this year. Geno, CD, Shea and Marissa will all be back with a talented young roster. They always seem to find a way. When was the last time a women's college basketball team won without a great player or two?

Fans must remember EVEN STEW and MAYA were not superstars during the regular Frosh season--Maya took some flack from Geno for only wanting to stand and shoot, Stewie disappeared after the 8th so game until the NCAA's.

You can argue those points, but there is at least a bit of facts to validate them.
It is a really really bad comparison for Katie Lou Samuelson as an injured Frosh playing most of the year with 3 of the top players to ever play at UConn --and even with that--she looked---marvelous (as Billy Crystal would say)--
The STATS that David N Naples provided seem to say this is a magnificent talent
Played an exceptional Freshman year--anointing anyone a Superstar is a big deal-
The Press corp that knew Geno --would have said --if it's fun he stays--until it is no longer fun.
I go with the 2 superstars--and say DT did it with only one--Maya almost did it but got worn down by being a ping pong ball in a basketball game. That was inflicted on her most of the year--as it was with DT in year previous. If you can't beat em with talent--use physical abuse..

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Are we really going to spend the next 4-5 years or however long it is with a topic a day about Geno's departure? Seriously folks, those who start these silly things must be glass empty people. People have to stop biting on this sorry stuff. This is even less productive than the musings about Des ...she who has no name.

Reaction Score
Are we really going to spend the next 4-5 years or however long it is with a topic a day about Geno's departure? Seriously folks, those who start these silly things must be glass empty people. People have to stop biting on this sorry stuff. This is even less productive than the musings about Des ...she who has no name.

LOL Just wait. If the unthinkable happens and UConn losses a few games this season there will be posts suggesting that Geno is "over the hill" and that it's time for a change.

Reaction Score
Without a great player or two?For the next 3 years Katie Lou and Napheesa Collier will be two of the best players in wcbb,and there will be several other great players who will join them in that time span.

Reaction Score
Geno did appear kind of ragged during the Olympics. He looked about 10 years older and 20 pounds heavier. At least he gets to coach UCONN now, which will be 1000 times easier than the Olympic team. :)

Reaction Score

Once the season begins this whole topic goes away until next May. Until Geno actually retires this will be the sword handing over the head of Uconn--If he was/were(?) JPM there would be no angst. When Muffet (and that won't be long) is in the range of OPTING for retirement--like if she wins another NC or 2--ND boards will light up as this one has over Geno..

Reaction Score
Once the season begins this whole topic goes away until next May. Until Geno actually retires this will be the sword handing over the head of Uconn--If he was/were(?) JPM there would be no angst. When Muffet (and that won't be long) is in the range of OPTING for retirement--like if she wins another NC or 2--ND boards will light up as this one has over Geno..
Isn't Muffet only a couple of years younger than Geno? She's a great coach, but she unfortunately was a great coach in the Geno Auriemma era, and may retire before Geno does although she shows no signs of slowing down. Geno in his 50s said he doesn't want to be one of those coaches hanging around into his late-60s, but time changes perspectives, and if he is still enjoying coaching young women to the top of their game, he will stick around. He has even said that if he keeps getting certain types of kids he could coach forever, and I believe him. 70 is the new 55 anyway. By the time I am 70 it will probably be the new 40!

Reaction Score
Isn't Muffet only a couple of years younger than Geno? She's a great coach, but she unfortunately was a great coach in the Geno Auriemma era, and may retire before Geno does although she shows no signs of slowing down. Geno in his 50s said he doesn't want to be one of those coaches hanging around into his late-60s, but time changes perspectives, and if he is still enjoying coaching young women to the top of their game, he will stick around. He has even said that if he keeps getting certain types of kids he could retirement coach forever, and I believe him. 70 is the new 55 anyway. By the time I am 70 it will probably be the new 40!

retirement today with state or university is often at age 55

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Yawn

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I agree. The off-season affects some people in unusual ways.

Reaction Score
Geno did appear kind of ragged during the Olympics. He looked about 10 years older and 20 pounds heavier. At least he gets to coach UCONN now, which will be 1000 times easier than the Olympic team. :)

Nah, that was the food in Rio. No pasta there. Churrascaria is fattening.

Reaction Score
LOL Just wait. If the unthinkable happens and UConn losses a few games this season there will be posts suggesting that Geno is "over the hill" and that it's time for a change.
\
If every anyone posTs Geno is 'OVER THE HILL'---it will be a good thing this is on the internet--cuz if it were in person--we'd hang that S.O.B.!!
There is no doubt SOME herein shall play second guessing with a Geno loss--that has happened regularly in the past--that's part of the FAN GAME thinking--can I coach better than Geno--the true answer is--NO ONE COACHES BETTER THAN GENO, OVER/UNDER/OR ON SIDE OF THE HILL

Reaction Score
Nah, that was the food in Rio. No pasta there. Churrascaria is fattening.
Geno looked older --because he stopped coloring his hair--it was gray-er than we've ever seen it.
But he looked good, mature, and the master coach of his trade--nothing wrong with looking your age.

Reaction Score
Isn't Muffet only a couple of years younger than Geno? She's a great coach, but she unfortunately was a great coach in the Geno Auriemma era, and may retire before Geno does although she shows no signs of slowing down. Geno in his 50s said he doesn't want to be one of those coaches hanging around into his late-60s, but time changes perspectives, and if he is still enjoying coaching young women to the top of their game, he will stick around. He has even said that if he keeps getting certain types of kids he could coach forever, and I believe him. 70 is the new 55 anyway. By the time I am 70 it will probably be the new 40!
I
I agree--the old 70 is the NEW 55
\.
Muffet is a good, to better coach--among the second tier down--to say she is great she must be compared to those in her group that may be considered great--and she does not.

True it's unfortunate she coached while Geno was at UConn.

She shall be considered GREAT at ND--better (probably) than any one who ever coached WBB at ND../

Great coaches have: the best recruits, top level facilities, backing by the school admin, MONEY, and a boat load of "undefined". It's the undefined that separates Geno, Muffet and one or 2 others from the "pack" but only one has proven greatness.

Reaction Score
Geno wants that challenge of coaching this year's team knowing that it won't be easy. Also, he knows he has the best staff and more talent than most people think. Katie Lou, Gabby and Napheesa all have the chance to be All-Americans, but maybe they won't be first team All-Americans. I never said I believed what was printed, just that it was printed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom