Geno quote about AEH status | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno quote about AEH status

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I know Geno has won 11 NC but these players today who see him sitting some of freshmen when the team is 30 or more points ahead may just say we don't want any part of that and UCONN may start losing out on some very good recruits.

Just saw a quote from Geno on the freshmen minutes, saying until they can put together three consecutive good days--including practice--they won't play.

Reaction Score
AEH went home for personal reasons which can obviously cover a lot of territory, but ... personal is not team, or playing time, or anything else related to the actual basketball being played so all this speculation about how Geno treats freshman and the minutes they are getting has at this point nothing to do with AEH's situation.

Looking at the players on the bench and their interactions on and off the court I am impressed by how tightly the freshmen seem to be integrated into the team, whether they are getting minutes or not. That has not been the case with players who have left the team for team related issues in the past.

You have no idea what "personal reasons" means. Your speculation about what "personal reasons" doesn't apply to, is still just SPECULATION!

Last edited:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
DNp2T_1UIAAXEvH.jpg

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
My bad I obviously meant Napheesa, thought at some points during the last year i thought BYer's referred to her as Precious.
You're not imagining it - I've heard Napheesa referred to as Precious but don't remember exactly where.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
AEH went home for personal reasons which can obviously cover a lot of territory, but ... personal is not team, or playing time, or anything else related to the actual basketball being played so all this speculation about how Geno treats freshman and the minutes they are getting has at this point nothing to do with AEH's situation.

Looking at the players on the bench and their interactions on and off the court I am impressed by how tightly the freshmen seem to be integrated into the team, whether they are getting minutes or not. That has not been the case with players who have left the team for team related issues in the past.

Excellent observation!!!!

Reaction Score
Geno's approach that playing tine is earned in practice is an ingrained pillar in his program. No recruit should be surprised by that. But it's one thing to know it, it's another thing to live it... Some of these kids haven't sat for 3 minutes in a full year in their HS & AAU programs.....

I (we) have heard this thing about 'practice and playing time' a million times and my calculate tells me that it make sense in the days when you recruited 2 (or 3) top players and the rest well below them and competing for playing time. As the numbers on the top increase the probability of a player- who is not one of the very top players- getting on the floor when it matters diminishes. Indeed, it is conceivable that if the incoming class lives up to hype there will be players from the previous 2 classes that will not get into games. By saying that you earn it in practice (all top teams can say it if they have the players), he places the blame on the players rather than himself-- how many top players is too much. Do we seriously think that Geno will sit his top players in a set of crucial games because they weren't going hard? He sat Tuck, Stewart, etc., but it was clear that the team had no chances of losing that game.

Tactically, a player ranking in the 30s must seriously evaluate if Uconn is a Program for her. From what I have seen the Program have done an excellent job of developing 'bench-players' into professionals (when they play in their senior year). From my limited vie and understanding it is a tug-a-war that players and top Program face. The top players all want to go to the top few schools and the latter are after them and onto the next top group(s). Think about how we criticize a top player when she opts for a school much further down the food chain: 'she can't handle the pressure of playing here, ''she will regret it,' she probably isn't as good, 'she will never win an NC-- wow.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
What ticks me off is that Z was not the only player giving up points because of poor defense. KLS did not sit one second until she got her third foul and she was having a hard time guarding. I know Geno has won 11 NC but these players today who see him sitting some of freshmen when the team is 30 or more points ahead may just say we don't want any part of that and UCONN may start losing out on some very good recruits. Sometimes positive comments can be very helpful players who are struggling. The game would have been a lot closer without Z's offensive contribution. Just my opinion.

Some of Geno's vehemence about Z's defense I believe was bled off POed energy about the way UCF played and the swallowed whistles and part of it was the apparent intended Geno needling. On the starters playing so long: they did not play a good first half against UCF's style of play and Geno wanted them out there figuring a way to play UConn ball in spite of that. The first string has to play under all conditions and styles of play. Also, I don't want to ruin a freshman's growing sense of confidence by throwing them into a rugby scrum.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That's because it is the actual meaning of her name..
Yeah, had to Google that. You were spot on.

Reaction Score
Some of Geno's vehemence about Z's defense I believe was bled off POed energy about the way UCF played and the swallowed whistles and part of it was the apparent intended Geno needling. On the starters playing so long: they did not play a good first half against UCF's style of play and Geno wanted them out there figuring a way to play UConn ball in spite of that. The first string has to play under all conditions and styles of play. Also, I don't want to ruin a freshman's growing sense of confidence by throwing them into a rugby scrum.

Please confirm that this rapier cum sledge hammer style is not new.
I know Moore and Taurasi and Stewart had to play in this way. Charles must have done it.
I expect Kia to perform in this fashion.
Was there anybody in the pantheon - Ralph, Bird, Montgomery and others - who failed?
Does KLS have the physique to sustain this type of play?
In the past there were some bangers - at least some I could associate with banging - on the team.
Someone who would not move away from it - Buck and Turner in particular. But I never thought of them as rapiers.
Unfortunately Batouly is not ready. Anyone else on this team who can do this?
Given current stress on speed, will this cause a big hurdle for our team and future recruitment?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I understand what you are saying about this last game. However, there have been other games when UCONN had very big leads and the bench got very little playing time. I mention this because in the long run it could help the team's depth. I know players have to earn their playing time and it should be that way but if the team is up 30 or more points starting the fourth quarter, it would seem that is a big enough lead to take a chance on playing some of the bench earlier. With the coaching they get I would think the more they play in actual games the quicker they will improve. But what do I know.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I know Moore and Taurasi and Stewart had to play in this way. Charles must have done it.
Was there anybody in the pantheon - Ralph, Bird, Montgomery and others - who failed?
In the past there were some bangers - at least some I could associate with banging - on the team.
Someone who would not move away from it - Buck and Turner in particular. But I never thought of them as rapiers.
Given current stress on speed, will this cause a big hurdle for our team and future recruitment?

I hope (fervently) that we're not entering an era in which there are designated enforcers in woman's BB similar to the what is now the norm in hockey.

And I don't thing that Geno was advocating anything like that...just play the game to the way it's being called.

The presser, hardly discussed (surprisingly) was beyond sarcastic...I can't adequately describe the tone..He all but called the starters cry-babies, went after Z's lack of D acumen, said the frosh wouldn't play until they had three good days in a row, and handed the game ball to Gabby. Also recalled screaming for a half-hour to get his way...no more....It was a performance quite unlike any I remember.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Not sure what you're saying. UConn has a reputation for being physical on the court, but not in a UCF sort of way. Run into a UConn screen and you know you've been screened, etc. The TASS crew were a rugged lot. Heck, a certain former guard in the stands with a bandaged leg certainly never shied away from incidental contact. The trick is being able to deal with overly physical play while maintaining your game.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I hope (fervently) that we're not entering an era in which there are designated enforcers in woman's BB similar to the what is now the norm in hockey.

And I don't thing that Geno was advocating anything like that...just play the game to the way it's being called.

The presser, hardly discussed (surprisingly) was beyond sarcastic...I can't adequately describe the tone..He all but called the starters cry-babies, went after Z's lack of D acumen, said the frosh wouldn't play until they had three good days in a row, and handed the game ball to Gabby. Also recalled screaming for a half-hour to get his way...no more....It was a performance quite unlike any I remember.

Maybe it will help him shrug of the cold he has been lugging around for far to long.

Reaction Score
"Freshman guard Andra Espinoza-Hunter missed her fifth consecutive game for 'personal reasons.' Asked if she would be part of the team this season, Auriemma said, 'Right now, it doesn't look that way because she’s still not here. We’re going to try to get a resolution to this in the next day or two. That’s the best I can do for you.'" Mike Anthony, Hartford Courant

I don't know if this will get zapped but I'm just hoping that the resolution is that she is a career Husky. Seems like a great kid and a talented player.
It is difficult to know much about AEH from the remote and impersonal distance of a " fan." We know that UCONN recruited her and that she was highly regarded as a player. That UCONN recruited her suggests she is a person of high character as well.

Nonetheless, something impactful has occurred and she has withdrawn from the team. We have no clue if she remained at the university, took exams, attended classes, etc., and no one ( classmate? professor? Administrator? ) has said a word about that.[ ]

Assuming that her health is good, she will be fine in the long run, whatever path she chooses.

I remember when one morning we all woke up, and the best UCONN recruit in ages ( Della Donne ) was simply gone. And she remained gone. But for a totally understandable and admirable reason, having nothing to do with UCONN. She remains a great friend of the school.

We would all love to see AEH remain a Huskie, but we wish her strength and good fortune in whatever turmoil she is now going through.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
is playing time the issue ? I agree that playing time should be earned, and I think Geno is an awesome coach. However, I think Geno should empty the bench earlier when he has a 30 point lead.

Geno will empty the bench when he feels like it. Gabby sat the bench a lot her first year. She got the memo, now look at her. She's an All American and busts her butt each and every play.

Reaction Score
You're not imagining it - I've heard Napheesa referred to as Precious but don't remember exactly where.

I sometimes imagine that I'm precious.... but then I wake up... :p

Reaction Score
When I first used to watch UConn, many years ago, it used to annoy me that Geno wouldn't play some of the players enough. 11 championships later, I've learned to live with it. They all know what they're getting into or they should. It probably does make some players shy away from UConn, which is perfectly alright with me, as long as Geno keeps cranking out championships and WNBA stars.

Reaction Score
I hope whatever personal reasons is nothing too serious. Anything I could say would be wild speculation with no basis in fact. Everyone in O'Town is hoping that AEH heads back to Uconn soon, resumes her career and keeps working towards her college degree.
Always gotta root for a home town kid.

Reaction Score
Geno will empty the bench when he feels like it. Gabby sat the bench a lot her first year. She got the memo, now look at her. She's an All American and busts her butt each and every play.

Um Not her whole first year, as I remember it, and Geno needee her to WIN. So it was a coach thinking who do I have to play right now to WIN (
I hope whatever personal reasons is nothing too serious. Anything I could say would be wild speculation with no basis in fact. Everyone in O'Town is hoping that AEH heads back to Uconn soon, resumes her career and keeps working towards her college degree.
Always gotta root for a home town kid.

I'm not trying to talk trash, however I love it when a coach introduces potential stars into game situations. Yes its MW, Kyla (sp), Mrs Molly Brown, MC, and AEH that qualify. Even the stud from Texas EG deserves some burn to develop.

Yes to develop. I Don't think Geno, who has recruited these stars, has ever had a team so deep. yes they have to produce in practice, but seriously maybe your standards are too high. Take MK or the unsinkable Molly Bent I seem to think they would be playing serious minutes away. Yes play for the present, but keep the future in mind.

To the untrained mind I even think Molly would be playing serious minutes in a competitive D1 program.

Reaction Score
What ticks me off is that Z was not the only player giving up points because of poor defense. (1) KLS did not sit one second until she got her third foul and she was having a hard time guarding. (2) I know Geno has won 11 NC but these players today who see him sitting some of freshmen when the team is (3) 30 or more points ahead may just say we don't want any part of that and UCONN may start losing out on some very good recruits. Sometimes positive comments can be very helpful players who are struggling. (4) The game would have been a lot closer without Z's offensive contribution. Just my opinion.

I don't agree with any point of your post here.

1-- If Lou gets beat off the dribble because the player is just quicker -is that the same as AZ blowing a defensive assignment for example on the trap? If we could bet - I would put a lot of money on how Geno has probably gone over that trap in practice with the team many times and has told Z and the other bigs many times they should be in the position of inside denial/ or not wonder too far on the perimeter. Yet we saw AZ for some reason outside.

2-- No offense to you. But if you won't distinguish between these two types of defense -then I hope Geno continues to tick you off. OFC I don't want that. But I think he is right if he's doing what I think/expect he would / should. And that is be more apt to reward "a KLS" who gets beat off the dribble vs "a player who defends dumb." You can always "help" off a player who gets beat off the dribble. IMO "dumb defense" is harder to help. Thus it's worse.

3-- I think what you said is typical of the kid Geno tends not to recruit. In other words if you're a star h/s player and you get ticked off that Meg Walker didn't get more minutes vs "UCF" and that's a deciding factor in not coming to UCONN then I tend to think thankfully Geno would never recruit you-- unless you are "Maya Moore." I think anyone is wrong if they think the overall consensus of star recruits (top 5) would be to not want to come to UCONN because in their frosh year while they play vs the top teams such as UCLA and ND - somehow not playing in their frosh year vs "UCF" would have much meaning.

4-- The game would have been more lopsided if possibly AZ would do defensively what Geno asks and for her to possibly concentrate more on the defense which the 11 time NC coach suggests. Not all the time can you rely on your offense. It can be "fools gold" just to reward offense and yet not penalize "dumb defense." These are the games to teach/coach because the game is 30+ points. So - while Lou might get beat on defense more - it seems it is the opinion of the 11 time NC coach that "dumb defense" frustrates him more. IMo that is the right approach. So if you don't agree with that- I mean this as no offense to you- I hope he continues to upset you. Because I prefer to watch the basketball style he is coaching.

Years ago Charde Houston deliberately slowed down while a ball-handler drove from the far right baseline - Charde let her get ahead so she could try to tip the ball from behind. I believe the player or the other team scored and it was set up because Charde tried a dumb play. Geno immediately pulled her. At some point in Charde's career she saved a game (vs Syracuse I think) in which she did the same thing late in the game at midcourt - tipped the ball and UCONN got the big steal. On the radio postgame afterwards Chris Dailey remarked what Charde did was a bad play. She was happy with the outcome but highlighted it's a bad play. IMo this highlights even from way back that UCONN will not accept dumb defense that he has gone over many times. And what makes GA and CD special is that I can only assume they are consistent.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom