Geno protecting Saniya in the presser | The Boneyard

Geno protecting Saniya in the presser

Reaction Score
saying that, God bless her, she tried to make a great play and that she's great at drawing fouls. Left it as if it might have been a foul.

Generally, Geno incredibly thoughtful and graceful with Holly and in the presser.

Reaction Score
She'll remember that last play, but overall she's got nothing to be ashamed about. She's had a great year, and who knows - maybe UConn would have lost already against someone in the season if not for her.

This year she had a knack for contributing when her team needed it the most, and I'd argue that until that last play, she was doing that this game as well.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Why not? She bailed us out in the first game of the year when this streak could have ended right there. She's had a great year. At least she had the guts to try to make something happen. A bunch of our other guys didn't act enough like themselves tonight so she tried to lead. That's an awesome thing to do. She has my thanks and admiration.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Geno is ok with mistakes made while being aggressive. I thought Saniya made a bad decision at the time. In hindsight, it was a bad decision. But she thought she could make a play. I would have preferred the drive about 8 seconds later, but it was not to be.

Our rare losses often spur very long winning streaks. I'm sure the kids will listen better and work even harder.

This was Mississippi State's night.

Reaction Score
He should. He IMO deserves the blame.

I am not happy at all that Chong has this on her forever. It's a damn shame and should never had happened.

This is not the first time a UConn player did not understand time and score in a tight NCAA Final 4 game. Thinking back to Bria Hartley racing up the Denver court with the shot clock off and turning it over.

Every UConn player should know in a tied game that you always hold for the final shot at the buzzer so the worst you get is Double OT. It's basic stuff. This is not a mistake that should be happening.

Reaction Score
Geno is ok with mistakes made while being aggressive. I thought Saniya made a bad decision at the time. In hindsight, it was a bad decision. But she thought she could make a play. I would have preferred the drive about 8 seconds later, but it was not to be.

Our rare losses often spur very long winning streaks. I'm sure the kids will listen better and work even harder.

Did our coaches tell Saniya and her teammates to HOLD for the final shot under all circumstances? If not, why not?

Reaction Score
Why not? She bailed us out in the first game of the year when this streak could have ended right there. She's had a great year. At least she had the guts to try to make something happen. A bunch of our other guys didn't act enough like themselves tonight so she tried to lead. That's an awesome thing to do. She has my thanks and admiration.
Awesome post.

I agree Saniya had the guts to try for the win. Kudos to her. I hope that she doesn't get down or retreat in a shell. There were so many uncharacteristic mistakes. So many missed shots that we normally make.

We've had a helluva year. Kudos to Geno for coaching an underdog team to the final four. Kudos to the team for playing above the expectations.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
He should. He IMO deserves the blame.

I am not happy at all that Chong has this on her forever. It's a damn shame and should never had happened.

This is not the first time a UConn player did not understand time and score in a tight NCAA Final 4 game. Thinking back to Bria Hartley racing up the Denver court with the shot clock off and turning it over.

Every UConn player should know in a tied game that you always hold for the final shot at the buzzer so the worst you get is Double OT. It's basic stuff. This is not a mistake that should be happening.
In defense of Geno, he said in the post game presser they went over that in every practice.

Reaction Score

Agreed. On the replay, you could see how she thought she had an open lane, but the defender closed really quickly on her. Mistake was just starting too early.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Did our coaches tell Saniya and her teammates to HOLD for the final shot under all circumstances? If not, why not?
From the presser, Geno implied that he DOESN'T like to hold for the final shot. He said something to to effect that he doesn't believe a last second shot wins games, but he wanted time for a rebound or a second attempt. Well, he found out that a last second shot can win a game.

However, thinking about it, another overtime would not have been good for UConn, with Gabby and Collier with four fouls. They foul out, the games probably over anyway.

Reaction Score
Saniya was crucial in the first half with a couple buckets and free throws. Without her first half offense the game could have been out of reach.

All season long we have had a thin rotation. The team was going to live or die by the players on the court. Do I think she initiated the play too soon, yes. Starting that soon had the same effect as a turnover. But would we have even been in the position to win without her? My answer is no. She was such a pleasant surprise this year.

Let's remember that before the season we truly believed as fans that we were doomed. Many predicted final four loss and many were correct. We had a season that so many teams envy. We won 36 games, two conference championships, and presumably put 3 players on that wall. That's a season to celebrate!

Reaction Score
From the presser, Geno implied that he DOESN'T like to hold for the final shot. He said something to to effect that he doesn't believe a last second shot wins games, but he wanted time for a rebound or a second attempt. Well, he found out that a last second shot can win a game.

However, thinking about it, another overtime would not have been good for UConn, with Gabby and Collier with four fouls. They foul out, the games probably over anyway.

If Geno really said that...Wow.

I think another overtime would have been better for UConn than the alternative no?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Looking at the Saniya's drive, it actually looked like UConn set up a play for her, The screened William and for a second Saniya was looking at a wide open lane to drive to the basket. William got around the screen and made a great defensive play by getting in front of Saniya shutting off the lane.

I'm sure Saniya will be fine. She's young. It's only old farts, like many of us, that struggle to get over things like this.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Geno is the greatest basketball coach of all time, no question. But if he has an Achilles heel, it's coaching close games. I believe his record is unbelievably poor. I know the graphic said he is 0-4 in overtime games, now 0-5. Probably because UConn just doesn't play that many close games.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
I hope Saniya don't take this loss too hard, she did an amazing job for the most part in this game.. and for the entire year.. Much love to this team for not quitting when things weren't going their way and for fighting till the very end.. Gabby I know you are extremely exhausted right about now, talk about giving it your All, you are a warrior extreme.. If only you had some legs left there at the end... Can't wait for next year... Lastly Congrats to the Bulldogs, gutsy performance especially on Defense, you guys earned it tonight.. Hope you cut the nets at the finals, I'll be rooting for you..

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Agreed. On the replay, you could see how she thought she had an open lane, but the defender closed really quickly on her. Mistake was just starting too early.
And let's give credit to that defender, who was none other than Morgan William. In an instant that open lane was closed, and Saniya didn't recognize the closure quickly enough. That was emblematic of the defensive play that has carried MSU this far and won them this game.

And please please please ... in any close loss, there were literally dozens of plays that could have made the difference. Let's not be those people who focus only on the last one.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom