Geno & President Herbst Mutual Admiration Society | The Boneyard

Geno & President Herbst Mutual Admiration Society

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno on the Prez (of whom I am also a big fan):

"I don't think who the athletic director is affects me that much or my basketball program," Auriemma said. "I think the more important thing for the university is who the president is. And I think our new president is going to set the tone for what happens in every department, not just athletics. And I've had some good presidents that I've worked for. But I think her approach is going to dictate where we go from here. So far, listening to her, I really, really like her approach. She's smart, she's tough, she's engaging, she's incredibly driven to get the results that she wants and she's not a sit-back-and-wait kind of person. So I'm pretty excited about where we're going."

The Prez on Geno:

Herbst said she has not been shy about promoting UConn's reputation as a leader in women's sports during these discussions.

"I don't think that there is anybody in the country that has done as much for women's athletics as Geno (Auriemma) has at UConn," she said. "So that is part of our brand. In addition to bringing the New York market and this incredible fan base wherever we go, we are just a leader in women's athletics. One of the things that makes us incredibly attractive in this conversation is yes, the big-money sports, but also women's sports that are just inspiring to so many girls around the country. It's astounding.

"It's one of the things were proudest of."

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Geno on the Prez (of whom I am also a big fan):

Geno: ..."She's smart, she's tough, she's engaging, she's incredibly driven to get the results that she wants and she's not a sit-back-and-wait kind of person."
"

Hmmmm. Those characteristics sound strangely familiar here...why would Geno like them I wonder?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Like almost every player that has played for him.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
indeed, not to mention his staff, especially the coaches

Reaction Score
Especially CD the elder! She and Geno have been a great team for a lot of years, and I would have enjoyed hearing the new Prez had say so.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i love her approach and drive, and obviously the pride she has in women's sports at UCONN, and WHoops in particular. having said that, at this point, i think most would agree conference realignment is 90% football, 9% men's hoops, and 1% everything else. clearly you can debate the %'s - i'm probably over counting football and under counting all other sports, but i don't doubt the new prez knows that football drives the bus.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
i love her approach and drive, and obviously the pride she has in women's sports at UCONN, and WHoops in particular. having said that, at this point, i think most would agree conference realignment is 90% football, 9% men's hoops, and 1% everything else. clearly you can debate the %'s - i'm probably over counting football and under counting all other sports, but i don't doubt the new prez knows that football drives the bus.

Women's hoop, like UConn excellent soccer teams, baseball team, field hockey, Track & Field, et al are just extra straws to heap on the camel's back. If all things are equal and UConn brings an excellent all around Athletic Dep,t I have think that being able to represent the school & league nationally in numerous sports would be a plus when a conference is choosing a new memeber.

Reaction Score
Too bad football drives the bus. I got on board for basketball.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
me, too. Not a big football lover, but I really like most sports, and I love a good well played, competitive game. UConn certainly brings excellence to the table is this respect.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Sounds like you have a winner. Rutgers' president is in his last year, and I am not sure he was truly a leader in RU's athletic interests. Possibly wanted and supported, but didn't lead.

One quibble - I didn't read the article, but apparently the NY market is Rutgers, then Syracuse, with UConn somewhere thereafter - I don't know the context of the study (i.e. specific sport, all sports, perception, fandom, etc.) but it was legit, not something produced by RU. I would think, however, that UConn does have a significant portion of the Boston college market - except for BC, what other high level teams are there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom