Geno out-Coached? Or not? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Geno out-Coached? Or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruffian75

Uncle Mo of Posters
Reaction Score
DC....she was on CPTV for the C of C game and said it still hurt like hell so I commend her for dealing with what was probably a lot of pain during the Baylor game.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
DC....she was on CPTV for the C of C game and said it still hurt like hell so I commend her for dealing with what was probably a lot of pain during the Baylor game.
understood... just want to make sure we are not throwing around "broken" cause its not

Reaction Score
Geno, who it should go without saying is the most successful head coach in the game, looks much further down the road than we do. He does not set out to lose games, but there are more important considerations than winning or losing any particular game. The game that he is by far most concerned about, is the last game of the season. Everything else is a preliminary to that. He may have had a trick or two that he could have played last night that he thought it better to save for tournament time, in the probable case that we will meet Ms. Griner & co. again. To boldly assert that "Geno was in error" or "Geno made a mistake" or "Geno got outcoached" is breathtakingly presumtuous, and probably should be accompanied by the poster's qualifications for making the assertion. imho, of course.

Given your reasoning, it appears that it is impossible for coach A to make a mistake. Especially during tight game situations.

Actually, a reasonable argument could be made that a shorten bench (especially in tight games, supposively) reduces the chances of a coach making critical in-game mistakes.

For me, it goes to: "If you recruited them, then you should play them!"

There are no walk-ons sitting on our bench. They were all highly recruited.

IMHO, of course.

Peace,

John Fryer

Reaction Score
It sounds like all we had to do was have Polizano coach UConn??? It is possible all the things you suggest may have worked better but they also may have been worse. How do you know BB could function at this level. It was clear Kiah couldn't and Geno obviously felt BB couldn't. It is clear to me we couldn't defend Simms and her 23 points were the difference. Griner got what was expected and Heather might not have done a better defensive job in the second half than Stef, especially since she hurt her wrist.

Unfortunately, Caroline couldn't play at the speed of this game and none of the other guards could contain Simms. Was it worth a shot to try BB. You and I might, but Geno , who knows her best, didn't think so.

In my mind, the real reason we lost is that Baylor was a better team last night. My guess, is they will be even harder to beat at the end of the season because Griner is getting better every game she plays. She is the dominant player in WCBB.

oh please with the so and so should coach silliness, it is a direct observation of the circumstance at hand nothing more nothing less, sadly in retrospect Heathers injury prevented Geno from doing likely what I said he should do at least in part.

Reaction Score
The best thing about playing this game was we now know what to expect the next time we meet. I really like purpose chances the next time. We will need to find a way to get to the line more. We will need to sufficate sims and make somebody else beat us. Baylor showed their hand one on one and don't forget we had a big lead. The next time I bet Baylor has foul problems. The next time we will be much improved.

We knew going in that if we allowed BG and OS to do their things we would probably lose.

Prior to the game most BYs commented about the need to defend OS. Thus conceding that BG would get hers.

We didn't do an effective job of defending OS. (We didn't even put our best defender [KF] on her.)

CD, given her physical situation, should not have been in that game.

Effectively, by relying on SD and CD, we were playing 4 on 5 on the defensive end of the court.

Don't forget that we were up by 11 points early in the 2nd half. It seems reasonable, at least to me, to ask the coaching staff to explain how that 11 point lead was lost?

In a word: To lose an 11 point 2nd half lead strongly suggests that game management errors were made.

Peace,

John Fryer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member