Geno on WTIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno was on the phone with Joe D from overcast and cool California:

Last night's game and schedule
  • Knew going in it would not be easy because of the schedule the team has played (Saturday and Monday games); it's been tough, the trip to OK was long and the kids are tired and pretty banged up.
  • Also, he knew that OU would play really hard coming off last year's loss which Sherri said was her most embarrassing
  • The worse thing that could have happened actually happened as the team made it look easy in the first few minutes.
  • It was a really good win that just as easily could have gone the other way.
  • The Saturday/Monday games in which the Saturday game is a league game and the Monday game a non-conference or conference game against a really good team takes its toll on the players.
Tiffany
  • Not surprised by Tiffany's play because he's been around her for 4 years knows what she is capable of doing
  • She's been inconsistent in the past but this year she's given the team exactly what it's needed
  • It's not been easy for Tiff because there are no All-Americans on the team so there's a lot of pressure on her to play well; last night she had to do what she did -- score, defend and rebound
  • She's had a great year he hopes she gets consideration for All-American honors
  • She's more versatile than most players in WCBB and they want to continue to get her isolated inside
  • Chris Dailey said the other day at practice that Tiffany is the team's best post player which the post players didn't like hearing;
  • Tiffany is a tremendous FT shooter
  • She gives the team a lot of weapons as she can shoot the 3, score driving to the basket and give out assists
  • Pro scouts are saying that she won't be around long in the 1st round of the WNBA draft (top 6 or 7); Geno is looking forward to going in to the tournament with a healthy Tiffany
Defense
  • Surprised by how well the team has played defensively because it doesn't have what good defensive teams traditionally have (great rebounders, shot-blockers, good size, experience)
  • Team picks things up quickly and are pretty versatile;
  • They are committed to defense and playing hard and take pride in stopping the other team;
  • Also, the absence of true superstar has maybe forced the players to understand the importance of defending; they have to get stops as they don't have a superstar to bail them out this year
Areas for Improvement
  • Louisville, Georgetown and OU games showed that fouls can be the great equalizer; will need to keep composure and stay out of foul trouble
  • Taking care of the ball so that the team gets a shot on every possession; if get a good shot will be pretty successful
  • Rebounding
  • If do those three things, should be in good shape over the next 4 games
Miscellaneous
  • Yum center is the most spectacular place he's been too; has transformed the city and the people have rallied around the teams
  • Senior night will honor 7 senior managers who are a great asset to the program; these kids track stats at practice and allow the coaches and players to do what they do; these kids get no recognition and are passionate about the game and are great friends to the players. The team is very fortunate to have these kids.
  • Since the loss at Notre Dame, the team has been in playoff mode and have a great opportunity over the next 4 games to win the Big East regular season championship
  • On the 2012 olympic team, he's been pretty successful at not allowing his Olympic responsibilities infringe on his job at UConn which is his number 1 priority;
  • Great group of finalists, 7 of his former players who each deserve to be part of the group.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
bush_thumbs_up_Congratulations_xdvx_on_30k-s400x297-100680-580.jpg

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Yep, many thanks. I just wish Joe D had asked about CD's minutes.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Yep, many thanks. I just wish Joe D had asked about CD's minutes.
I watched the game again with that in mind. It looked like CD came out with 16:01 in the second half. KML was fresh as a result of having picked up three fouls in what seemed like 15 seconds in the first half, plus she was effective. Caroline had not been. I imagine between a nice sized lead, an effective KML, and some concerns about bringing in Doty cold off the bench after a bit in a game where she wasn't really needed, they just figured they'd let her sit the rest of that game out.

In short, I ain't Geno, but I wouldn't worry about it. Didn't see any evidence of Rosemary working on CD or that she was in any pain. Just how the rotation works sometimes.

Reaction Score
JD kisses all the coaches A--- on every interview.........Give me Kevin Nathan

Reaction Score
Very impressive summary. Must have required speed typing or shorthand to get all that info. Thanks much.

Reaction Score
Let me add my kudos as well, Cat...great, detailed report! Good job!

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
JD kisses all the coaches A--- on every interview.........Give me Kevin Nathan

Don't be silly. Kevin kisses all the coaches B -- on every interview....

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I watched the game again with that in mind. It looked like CD came out with 16:01 in the second half. KML was fresh as a result of having picked up three fouls in what seemed like 15 seconds in the first half, plus she was effective. Caroline had not been. I imagine between a nice sized lead, an effective KML, and some concerns about bringing in Doty cold off the bench after a bit in a game where she wasn't really needed, they just figured they'd let her sit the rest of that game out.

In short, I ain't Geno, but I wouldn't worry about it. Didn't see any evidence of Rosemary working on CD or that she was in any pain. Just how the rotation works sometimes.
I think that was exactly the situation, alex. Geno had gotten what he had to have from her in the first half.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
hey thanks Cat. great great synopsis. really appreciate it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom